• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,438 posts in this topic

Would like to get a higher graded copy one day but this will do for now, bought it just because of the cover.

ghostweird122.jpg

neat, never seen that issue before

rick

With a big, hearty thanks to Metropolis, I can't wait to get this gem:

thrilling7b.jpg

thrilling7f.jpg

Very significant (and entirely overlooked) book for several reasons:

- Early pre-war Schomburg cover.

- Schomburg's first cover on Thrilling comics (and one of his earliest works for Nedor/Better/Standard), a run that would last over ten years until the final issue (# 80).

- Receives the rare Overstreet "Classic Cover" designation.

- 2nd highest graded copy, 2nd only to a 9.6 (Mile High?) with the next highest being a mere 6.0.

And a big kudos to Metropolis for what I thought was very fair pricing on the book (I paid a mere 14% more then the book sold for at auction in 2005....a very "close-to-Guide" type price). thumbsup2.gif

thrilling7b.jpg

thrilling7f.jpg

- Schomburg's first cover on Thrilling comics (and one of his earliest works for Nedor/Better/Standard), a run that would last over ten years until the final issue (# 80).

- 2nd highest graded copy, 2nd only to a 9.6 (Mile High?) with the next highest being a mere 6.0.

And a big kudos to Metropolis for what I thought was very fair pricing on the book (I paid a mere 14% more then the book sold for at auction in 2005....a very "close-to-Guide" type price). thumbsup2.gif

What a beauty!!!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Great cover! Cool Facts! Superb Grade!

Smart purchase all around congrats thumbsup2.gif

thrilling7b.jpg

thrilling7f.jpg

What a beauty!!!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Great cover! Cool Facts! Superb Grade!

Smart purchase all around congrats thumbsup2.gif

Thank you! I'm really "Thrilled" (groan!) to have found this book on the Metro website for a very reasonable price.

BTW, and maybe Jeff (Nearmint) can confirm this for me, but this might actually be the earliest Schomburg cover on a Nedor/Better book. If not, its gotta be right up there.

It may very well be his earliest for Better/Standard/Nedor. I can't think of any earlier. I owned that copy raw for several years(long time ago), and you're going to be very happy with it. Not only are the colors striking, but the book is one of the most supple GA books I've ever owned.

I sold it when I decided to exclusively collect Schomburg's war covers. I probably should have kept it!

It may very well be his earliest for Better/Standard/Nedor. I can't think of any earlier. I owned that copy raw for several years(long time ago), and you're going to be very happy with it. Not only are the colors striking, but the book is one of the most supple GA books I've ever owned.

I sold it when I decided to exclusively collect Schomburg's war covers. I probably should have kept it!

I'll pay homage to your sacrifice by giving it a good home! cloud9.gif

Were you the original submitter Jeff?

No, I sold it raw before CGC opened its doors, probably through a CBG ad. At the time, I also had VF- copies of #6 & #8, and a really high grade #5 that I'd picked up from Harley for a whopping $190, but those aren't Schomburg covers.

No, I sold it raw before CGC opened its doors, probably through a CBG ad. At the time, I also had VF- copies of #6 & #8, but those aren't Schomburg covers.

Thanks for the background info. I'm pretty stoked about getting it. thumbsup2.gif

I haven't received it yet, but I just won a very hard to find GA trooper book. I can't contain myself, I have to post it now:

Keen Dective Funnies

God I love BidNip cloud9.gif

luckily I already had this issue poke2.gif

congrats, it is a great book!

gator

Some new stuff I got. Nothing terribly exciting but for me this means I went from owning zero GA books about a month ago to 7 now so the collection grows, albeit slowly.

FYI-all feebay stuff except the Tec. I got that from Metro. My first dealings with them. Frankly, Vincent was awesome. Cut me a nice deal on this and some other stuff and basically answered every email I sent him promptly. I was very pleased with them in my first experience.

mm1front.jpg

mm7front.jpg

mm10front.jpg

dc89front.jpg

back scans of the Mary's were posted in the PGM thread.

My nicest Wonder Woman yet. I LOVE it!!!!

Nothing is more satisfying than getting a high grade copy of a GA book you have on your want list. Whats even better, is this book will have a box buddy soon! A lovely 8.0 WW 60!!!!

WonderWoman578.jpg