• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,443 posts in this topic

Here are some San Diego pickups (note: books are not miscut, I just left them in the mylar and shot at an angle to reduce flash burn).

Let's start with Pep 72 - Crippen copy which has some noticeable wrinkling, but a beauty otherwise and actually off-white on the inside (no browning):

100_2258.jpg

Though this one has some obvious large corner creases, I still really like it a lot (listed as scarce in the Guide). Comic Heaven also had/sold the Church copy, but I don't know who purchased it:

100_2264.jpg

Here are some San Diego pickups (note: books are not miscut, I just left them in the mylar and shot at an angle to reduce flash burn).

Let's start with Pep 72 - Crippen copy which has some noticeable wrinkling, but a beauty otherwise and actually off-white on the inside (no browning):

100_2258.jpg

Congrats on the Pep. I have several Crippen Peps from that time frame and, aside from a bit of moisture damage, they're all really nice books (thumbs u

Though this one has some obvious large corner creases, I still really like it a lot (listed as scarce in the Guide). Comic Heaven also had/sold the Church copy, but I don't know who purchased it:

100_2264.jpg

Love this cover. Very cool how the war bonds poster is integrated into the scene rather than just pasted on top of the cover. I also like the amused expression on Catman's face as the knife-wielding, swastika-tattooed bad guy leaps towards him.

Steve, you're making me a Chas Quinlan fan! I wonder if someone has put together an index of his work.

Steve, you're making me a Chas Quinlan fan! I wonder if someone has put together an index of his work.

I'm not too familiar with Quinlan, but would certainly like to learn more.

Ditto - great cover - what are the stories like?

VERY anti-Japanese and anti-Nazi; haven't done anything other than skim.

Another SD pickup, this is not Quinlan but is...Schomburg! I had no idea that he had done a war cover for this title:

100_2265.jpg

Here's one I was very happy to obtain (thanks to my pal Richard at Bedrock City); I just need to find issue 9 to complete the Mystery Men run of 1-10. The book is nicer (w/white pages, too) than my poor pic shows:

100_2253.jpg

Great pickups, sacentaur! That Catman #18 is a toughie, but I'm sure you know that!

The stories & art in Catman comics are great, way above average IMO. The Catman features themselves are great silly fun, and there are lots of frankly bizarre backup features worth a second look ("The Deacon", a religious crimefighter, "Volton", funky electric superhero with earliest art by Joe Kubert, etc). My favorite underrated feature is Blackout, a hero who was working with the German Resistance in Berlin to thwart the Nazis. Lots of great stories in Catman.

Here's one I was very happy to obtain (thanks to my pal Richard at Bedrock City); I just need to find issue 9 to complete the Mystery Men run of 1-10. The book is nicer (w/white pages, too) than my poor pic shows:

That's the one with the little tear seal, right? I saw that book in-hand when I was there. VERY nice copy, just out of my price range.

Right - tiny tear seal that I initially missed, but of course Richard provided Full Disclosure.

The book presents SO nicely (and again, those great pages!) in person, I just love it :banana:

I'm not too familiar with Quinlan, but would certainly like to learn more.

Looks like he was more than just an artist. He's credited with writing, pencilling, & inking the Catman story in Catman #15.

Comics.org shows 128 books that he worked on.

100_2253.jpg

Love that #3 Steve!!! Wow, you are cleaning house at SD! Wish I could have gone this year!

That copy is a real beaut!

I have to tell you, STEVE was EVERYWHERE in SD....anytime I left my booth to stretch my legs, I ran into STEVE wheeling and dealing (and ran into Zaid about 415 times too!)

gator

I have to tell you, STEVE was EVERYWHERE in SD....anytime I left my booth to stretch my legs, I ran into STEVE wheeling and dealing...

gator

Haha...tis true. I log a lot of miles on the floor because I want to make sure I don't overlook anything, and besides I really enjoy chatting with everyone.

Here's an example of a very lucky find, and my BIG (literally - it's oversized) purchase at the show, Large Feature #8. Only stumbled across it at Motor City's booth on my 3rd time through their inventory. The fact that it's the Larson copy only made things sweeter :cloud9:

100_2256.jpg