• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

I've been outbid on this personal grail a number of times, so when this beauty popped up on eBay I finally sacked up and hit the BIN (which was very reasonable) within minutes of it being listed. I suspect if I hadn't, somebody else would have for sure. So now I'm broke, but I have this to show for it. :headbang:

AmazingStories1928-08fcsm.jpg

Attaboy!

The early Amazing Stories are wonderful, but be careful they are also addictive. I've bought several over the past few months.

Since you are also a Buck Rogers fan..I thought you might enjoy these that arrived today, compliments of Marnin.

FamousFunnies-82-5_0.jpg

BuckRogersTobyPress-9-5_0.jpg

Nice! :applause: That Famous Funnies 82 is such an underrated cover - the only Buck Rogers cover in the early days of the run (it was on the stands about the same time as Buck Rogers #2 or a little before.) and the #9 is definately the coolest of the three Toby issues IMO.

When I saw all those Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon books that Marnin just listed I had some serious deja vu! :) Obviously I have very similar tastes to the person he bought the collection from.

(And yeah, I think I'm going to need more of these early Gernsback-era AS's - they are cool! :cool:)

Jeff

More Tip Tops!

TipTop032fcsm.jpg

TipTop034fcsm.jpg

TipTop043fcsm.jpg

No. 32 also contains the first artwork by Jack Davis in a comic book. Davis was one of several winners in an amateur cartoon contest to have their work printed in this issue. Davis, who would have been about 13 at the time (in 1938), received a prize of $1.00 for his effort. :)

JackDavisCartoonsm.jpg

More Tip Tops!

TipTop032fcsm.jpg

TipTop034fcsm.jpg

TipTop043fcsm.jpg

No. 32 also contains the first artwork by Jack Davis in a comic book. Davis was one of several winners in an amateur cartoon contest to have their work printed in this issue. Davis, who would have been about 13 at the time (in 1938), received a prize of $1.00 for his effort. :)

JackDavisCartoonsm.jpg

Love those Tip-Top Tarzan covers!!! Nice!!!!

Picked this up from Harley last weekend. I think the cover art is really unique.

Ken

bullseye5.jpg

:o One of the two issues I need to complete the run, dad gum it! Very nice book with an amazing cover. Congrats :applause:

Angelo

The joys of a mid grade GA esoteric comic with excellent paper quality....arrived today.

Cool! Haven't seen that one before. :applause:

Jeff

Neither have I. Its a sweet book.

funny thing is I hadn't either, but I like the esoteric nature and somewhat GGA of Crown Comics. :cloud9:

Today's big box included some genuine Golden (and Atomic) Age comics!

Here are some highlights.

Cowgirl Romance 1 -- mixed genre from Fiction House!

47731-CG1.jpg

Nice colors on the cover. Ol' Tex is ready to draw and shoot.

Jack

Jackie Gleason 2 from St. John, October 1955. Yes, I know it's a beater, but not a book you see every day! I really like the caricatures.

47732-JG.jpg

Jack

Real Life Comics 21, January 1945.

47733-RL21.jpg

Why post this one? A rarely seen Schomburg cover, and an freebie from one of my favorite ebay sellers! There's even a Hitler-Stalin story.

Jack

Real Life Comics 21, January 1945.

47733-RL21.jpg

Why post this one? A rarely seen Schomburg cover, and an freebie from one of my favorite ebay sellers! There's even a Hitler-Stalin story.

Jack

:applause:

Wings Comics 123, 1954 Fiction House.

47734-wings.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of war comics, but it's an attractive copy with interesting cover coloring.

Jack

Brocho Bill, 1939, from the Floyd Paul Bradbury pedigree.

47735-BB.jpg

What's with that name, anyway? Did he have a bad cough?

I realize that there's a teensy bit of spine damage, but I'm just grateful to Floyd for taking good enough care of it to last for 68 years.

Jack