• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Today's big box included some genuine Golden (and Atomic) Age comics!

Here are some highlights.

Finally, a fair-to-middlin' World's Finest Comics 7 from 1942. Classic "sometimes a cannon between Robin's legs is just a cannon" cover. Do you suppose there's any restoration done on it?

47736-WF7.jpg

OK, you know me too well -- it's Flashback 28. I've never had one of these before -- I also got WF 8. Nice quality reprint (esp for the price), even though the interior is black and white.

Lots more to come if I find time to scan!

Jack

Today's big box included some genuine Golden (and Atomic) Age comics!

Here are some highlights.

Real Life Comics 21, January 1945.

47733-RL21.jpg

Why post this one? A rarely seen Schomburg cover, and an freebie from one of my favorite ebay sellers! There's even a Hitler-Stalin story.

Jack

If I hadn't seen the signature, I would've never guessed Schomburg. Excellent cover :applause:

Is that sewn back together lol

It actually looks more like preventative stitching (with bailing twine), not a repair. Does that make it restoration? Do I have to disclose it? I NOD to the collective wisdom of the group.

Show the Airboys :sumo:

:gossip: so I can make you an offer ...

And finally, in response to overwhelming popular demand (Who's Scrooge popular with?), the books that are going to make me a Wealthy Man!

Airboy Comics Vol 7 #11.

47737-AB711.jpg

Airboy Comics Vol 8 # 12.

Great colors on this cover!

47738-AB812.jpg

Both feature fun stories (on first glance) and Heap backups.

Jack

the books that are going to make me a Wealthy Man!

Airboy Comics Vol 7 #11.

They just might. I know I need the 8-12 and I don't recall if I've ever bought a 7-11. I like the elephant cover better, btw. (thumbs u

What else you got? :popcorn:

the books that are going to make me a Wealthy Man!

Airboy Comics Vol 7 #11.

They just might. I know I need the 8-12 and I don't recall if I've ever bought a 7-11. I like the elephant cover better, btw. (thumbs u

What else you got? :popcorn:

I prefer the elephant cover too.

Vol 5 #3

Vol 5 #6

Vol 5 #8

Vol 6 #7

(And some Eclipse comics.)

None at hand, and it'll be a while before I can go digging for them.

I can tell you about condition etc. off-list.

Jack

A couple more from yesterday's box.

Captain Midnight, Fawcett 44, September 1946.

Tracy-like cover -- is it by someone imitating his minimalist style? The purple picture frame looks unusual too.

"The kid who wanted a crack at the Japs!" is an interesting "Thrill-studded yarn about the last days of the Jap war!" -- i.e, an inventory WWII story that didn't get used before the war ended.

Jack

47779-CM.jpg

Edited by selegue

A couple more from yesterday's box.

Heroic Comics 29, March 1945, includes a very strange Vitaman story, Music Master, Flyin' Jenny, and the last Hydroman, most definitely not by Everett! Overstreet says that the painted cover is by Harvey Fuller.

47781-heroic29.jpg

Here's the Vitaman splash page. Done in an odd cartoony style, it's full of fourth wall-breaking and odd gags about superhero conventions. The hero is sort of a budget-basement Hourman, getting his powers (whatever is needed by the plot) by slamming down a handful of vitamin B1 from that bottle around his neck!

47780-heroic29001.jpg

Jack

Recently posted these in other threads recently (for various discussions), might as well post them here as well since this is a Golden Age thread and they are already handy to download (All Centaurs)!!!!!!

AmazingMan17.jpg

funnypicturestoriesv1n6.jpg

funnypicturestories10vol2no1.jpg

funnypicturestoriesVol3No1gerber7.jpg

I'll post some more Centaurs later!!!

Recently posted these in other threads recently (for various discussions), might as well post them here as well since this is a Golden Age thread and they are already handy to download (All Centaurs)!!!!!!

AmazingMan17.jpg

funnypicturestoriesv1n6.jpg

funnypicturestories10vol2no1.jpg

funnypicturestoriesVol3No1gerber7.jpg

I'll post some more Centaurs later!!!

:o