• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,451 posts in this topic

I was sober though when I won this one:

JoeYank10.jpg

Drunk or sober that's a Toth cover & interior. (thumbs u

That copy looks pretty darn nice considering it's a black cover.

Here's a cute little book I picked up a couple of weeks ago...thought it looked cool and it has a buncha neat stories in it... :grin:

daisy2.jpg

It's interesting that there are characters from multiple publishers in that book.

I was sober though when I won this one:

Drunk or sober that's a Toth cover & interior. (thumbs u

That copy looks pretty darn nice considering it's a black cover.

I bought the book for the caption at the top of the book, plus when I was in Iraq I was in a Postal Unit. thought it kinda cool to buy this issue.

Frisky Animals 45 Apr-51

The only funny animals book I've ever spent more on is Looney Tunes 5, and I have to admit that I bought this L B Cole cover and crossed my fingers that the contents weren't too bad on this one. Cool cover, isn't it, with the almost photorealistic real animals combined with anthropomorphic funny animals? The scan exaggerates the defects -- I'd say it looks a little better in hand.

The contents range from very good to mediocre. The lead story by Fago and a bizarre tale by C. W. Winter are the high points. Several stories are signed "Jason Comic Art", apparently shop jobs. I'll try to post some scans to the Short Bus thread tonight.

Jack

54776-FriskyAnimals.jpg

Very nice detail on the animals. I think that Redbeard's Comics used it in ads for a while.

I'll post this follow-up, both books from '52:

Toth!

img090.jpg

Very nice copy!

The cover story is a classic 1950s-style pedantic one, which the resolution resolving around

(need spoiler space if it's over 50 years old?)

calcium carbonate!

I have a reprint -- originals of the early SA run are too pricey (as you know). Captain Comet stories (harbinger of the Silver Age) are really well done.

Jack

I really like this style of Murphy's -- it seems like it was out-dated at the time of publication, but in a good way. (thumbs u

img092.jpg

I'm back in town for a few days, so I'll post a few of my recent pick ups. Hanging around the boards waiting for sacentaur to post some killer books. ;)

Church copy. Odd mixture of heavy shadows on the soldiers and no shadows on the boys, which makes the cover a little less than ideal, but I still like it.

headline9.jpg

which makes the cover a little less than ideal

That's a beautiful book :cloud9: but we really don't want you to lower your aesthetic standards. I'm sure we can arrange for some self-sacrificing board member to take that off your hands. :grin:

I'm back in town for a few days, so I'll post a few of my recent pick ups. Hanging around the boards waiting for sacentaur to post some killer books. ;)

Church copy. Odd mixture of heavy shadows on the soldiers and no shadows on the boys, which makes the cover a little less than ideal, but I still like it.

headline9.jpg

Love that cover. :cloud9: