• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

Just got this in...filling in the early Supes!

Superman09_CGCVG45.jpg

looks nicer than 4.5; they must've penalized for the boy's name which i find charming as hell and not a problem in the least. nicely done, sir.

Superman09_CGCVG45.jpg

looks nicer than 4.5; they must've penalized for the boy's name which i find charming as hell and not a problem in the least. nicely done, sir.

Thanks. I agree, I don't mind the name at all. There's a tear at the bottom center, two smaller tears on the right edge, and a corner crease on the lower right. I think the combination of those defects knocked it down to a technical grade of 4.5, but it sure is one pretty 4.5! White pages, too! :cloud9:

Superman09_CGCVG45.jpg

Could that be THE Winters from the 101st Airbourne, D-Day, and Band of Brothers fame? A real Superman.

Superman09_CGCVG45.jpg

Could that be THE Winters from the 101st Airbourne, D-Day, and Band of Brothers fame? A real Superman.

Hmmm, THE Winters was 23 when this book was published. The signature does look like an adult's signature. (shrug)

I just emailed the seller to see if he knows anything about where the book came from. The seller is from central PA, and Winters was born and raised in the Lancaster PA area. At the time the book came out in the spring of 1941, he was finishing up his senior year at Franklin and Marshall College. That fall he enlisted in the army.

So, it's probably a long-shot that it's the same Winters, but the few pieces of info I have do fit. Who knows? (shrug)

Signatures certainly can change over the years, but these are supposedly authentic ones. Seems like some big differences, but I'm no CSI.

I would love to find out it was his book.

45d8_1.JPG

cfd2_1.JPG

I just emailed the seller to see if he knows anything about where the book came from. The seller is from central PA, and Winters was born and raised in the Lancaster PA area. At the time the book came out in the spring of 1941, he was finishing up his senior year at Franklin and Marshall College. That fall he enlisted in the army.

So, it's probably a long-shot that it's the same Winters, but the few pieces of info I have do fit. Who knows? (shrug)

He told me the same thing. The books from this collection were sweet, I should've bought a few more. I didn't see the seller with another batch of listings, so I assume he has sold out. (shrug)

Here is a scan of the 'Tec # 46 I picked up from the run...(Richard is going to get a kick out of that, as its now my second copy of a book & title I really don't collect) lol :

Sharp book with edges and corners that are as nice and straight as my 9.0 copy. CGC really hammered it for some non-color breaking wear. I think a Press and its an easy 8.0/8.5. But its a gorgeous OO untouched 7.0 right now, and that's not a bad thing. :cloud9:

Tec46cgc70f.jpg

Superman09_CGCVG45.jpg

You know your stuff Rich. That is THE Winters. A friend of mine managed to figure that out and did some tracking it down. Although Winters wouldn't speak directly to him, or answer any relayed questions about the war, he was the right age, right hometown, etc.

if the "hang tough" is a real D ick Winters sig, then unfortunately, the one on the comics was NOT made by the same person...basic handwriting analysis will confirm that...sorry to say

if the "hang tough" is a real D ick Winters sig, then unfortunately, the one on the comics was NOT made by the same person...basic handwriting analysis will confirm that...sorry to say

I would love to compare your autograph now to those from your high school years.