• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,428 posts in this topic

Another Micro-con purchase.Rumored to be the Overstreet copy.Wish Bob would've taken better care of his books because without the chip missing it would be hard to top.

pep27.jpg

wow! where are those books when i'm in minneapolis every other october?

Pretty & purple :cloud9:

thanks; the one below has a horrible centerfold i could never stomach, and page 15 was drawn by one of those lame d.c. artists; if you only knew how long i waited for one missing those pages. clean living....

planet10.jpg

Underbidder.... :hi:lol

Congrats! (thumbs u Awesome cover.

thanks; i'm more or less collecting the first 22 for their covers, and i heard this is a hard one. gave some thought to cropping the slab off of it for posting, but knew some boardie would dime my unethical azz. glad to have it, in any event.

Picked this up at our annual Micro-con today.Soooooo happy to over pay(according to Overstreet lol ) for this elusive funny book.

catman9.jpg

Collecting this series is not for the faint of heart. Nice score! (worship)

One of several coveted books that I was able to purchase from Jeff's amazing Nedor collection. This book is second only to # 7 in terms of "Classic covers" in the Thrilling run. It's got a "wow" factor the first time you see it.

Wonderful early Schomburg artwork from early 1941 where our hero Dr. Strange grapples one Nazi officer by the neck and throat punches the other in this awesome pre-war cover. You can see he was still very much in his highly-detailed, realistic "pulp" style of art, well before the racial cartoony carciatures that would define his work during the war years. This one is not unlike many of his contemporary Timely covers of the era, but its much cheaper in the Guide, and much tougher to find in any grade.

Only the Mile High copy has been certified higher, and only one other copy exists on the census at all, a lowly 1.5. Metro has the Mile High on its site, and as much as I may pine for it, I don't believe its for sale seperate from the rest of the Church Thrilling Comics run. So baring a six figure windfall, I doubt I will be owning that book anytime soon.

I'm quite happy with this 2nd highest graded gem.... :applause:

Thrilling15cgc80f.jpg

One of several coveted books that I was able to purchase from Jeff's amazing Nedor collection. This book is second only to # 7 in terms of "Classic covers" in the Thrilling run. It's got a "wow" factor the first time you see it.

Wonderful early Schomburg artwork from early 1941 where our hero Dr. Strange grapples one Nazi officer by the neck and throat punches the other in this awesome pre-war cover. You can see he was still very much in his highly-detailed, realistic "pulp" style of art, well before the racial cartoony carciatures that would define his work during the war years. This one is not unlike many of his contemporary Timely covers of the era, but its much cheaper in the Guide, and much tougher to find in any grade.

Only the Mile High copy has been certified higher, and only one other copy exists on the census at all, a lowly 1.5. Metro has the Mile High on its site, and as much as I may pine for it, I don't believe its for sale seperate from the rest of the Church Thrilling Comics run. So baring a six figure windfall, I doubt I will be owning that book anytime soon.

Thrilling15cgc80f.jpg

A beauty! With white pages...you must be a proud papa :)

Edited by JvR11

Awesome book!

Gotta mention that although it predates the US involvement in WW II, it certainly isnt 'pre-war'. The war was very much on by '41!

Oh, absolutely, and "war covers" involving superheroes bashing Nazi troops were starting to appear on most titles. Actually, you could say with the Lend Lease Act of March 1941, the US was a willing participant in the war.

I'm just defining "pre-war" as anything that predates Dec.8, 1941, before US involvement became "official".

Thrilling15cgc80f.jpg

A beauty! With white pages...you must be a proud papa :)

Yes, ma'am, I am! I knew Jeff had the only other certified high grade copy besides the MH, but I never thought he would part with it. So when it became available.... :headbang: