• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

As many of you may know, I was asking about Batman 1 recently in a thread which was derailed by a more interesting discussion about the investment potential of big books like that. Behind the scenes, though, I was offered a Batman 1 by a boardie I knew little about. He had never sold on the boards, which was a red flag, but he sent me a zillion photos and offered to let me inspect the book in person. He was in Las Vegas, which is not far from where I live, so I made arrangements to fly out for the weekend and meet up with him. I also brought along the girlfriend so we could have a great Las Vegas weekend if the Batman thing went south.

We flew into Vegas Friday morning. Our hotel room in Ballys was on the Paris side, so we had the Eiffel Tower right outside our window. I was supposed to meet the seller at 1 pm in the Ballys lobby, We waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. At 2 pm, I left him a PM and we went on with our day. I was a bit upset, but figured we were going to have fun in Vegas so the weekend would be worthwhile anyway.

At 10:30 pm, while we were about to start sucking down some tropical drinks at Frankie's Tiki Bar, my phone rings. It's the seller. He was at Ballys, but the lobby arrangement there is strange and he couldn't find me. He had the wrong phone number for me and didn't get the correct one until he got back to his computer that night. We made plans to meet the next morning at 10 am.

I let the girlfriend sleep in, and shortly after 10, my phone rings. It's the seller, looking for me, standing 10 feet away. We go to the conference room area, squat in an open room, and I inspect the Batman. I knew it was a real one the moment I opened the bag and smelled 60 year old paper. (Girlfriend later: "Did you get a woody?" Me: "Almost.) The book was pretty much exactly as described and, IMO, fairly graded. I think an eBay seller would have bumped it up a grade trying to squeeze more $$$ out of it.

I decided to buy the book. We went to the bank and I handed over a thick stack of hundred dollar bills.

Back in my hotel room, the girlfriend and I leafed through the book and I pointed out the various first appearances and other cool things about Batman 1. Owning a copy of this book has been an on and off goal for most of my life. This one has extensive professional restoration, but who cares? It's a Batman 1.

Batman1-1.jpg

Great looking book, congrats.

As many of you may know, I was asking about Batman 1 recently in a thread which was derailed by a more interesting discussion about the investment potential of big books like that. Behind the scenes, though, I was offered a Batman 1 by a boardie I knew little about. He had never sold on the boards, which was a red flag, but he sent me a zillion photos and offered to let me inspect the book in person. He was in Las Vegas, which is not far from where I live, so I made arrangements to fly out for the weekend and meet up with him. I also brought along the girlfriend so we could have a great Las Vegas weekend if the Batman thing went south.

We flew into Vegas Friday morning. Our hotel room in Ballys was on the Paris side, so we had the Eiffel Tower right outside our window. I was supposed to meet the seller at 1 pm in the Ballys lobby, We waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. At 2 pm, I left him a PM and we went on with our day. I was a bit upset, but figured we were going to have fun in Vegas so the weekend would be worthwhile anyway.

At 10:30 pm, while we were about to start sucking down some tropical drinks at Frankie's Tiki Bar, my phone rings. It's the seller. He was at Ballys, but the lobby arrangement there is strange and he couldn't find me. He had the wrong phone number for me and didn't get the correct one until he got back to his computer that night. We made plans to meet the next morning at 10 am.

I let the girlfriend sleep in, and shortly after 10, my phone rings. It's the seller, looking for me, standing 10 feet away. We go to the conference room area, squat in an open room, and I inspect the Batman. I knew it was a real one the moment I opened the bag and smelled 60 year old paper. (Girlfriend later: "Did you get a woody?" Me: "Almost.) The book was pretty much exactly as described and, IMO, fairly graded. I think an eBay seller would have bumped it up a grade trying to squeeze more $$$ out of it.

I decided to buy the book. We went to the bank and I handed over a thick stack of hundred dollar bills.

Back in my hotel room, the girlfriend and I leafed through the book and I pointed out the various first appearances and other cool things about Batman 1. Owning a copy of this book has been an on and off goal for most of my life. This one has extensive professional restoration, but who cares? It's a Batman 1.

Batman1-1.jpg

Very nice looking book, congrats... (worship)

Edited by Twistty1

Batman1-1.jpg

Big congrats sir! Great looking copy and I am sure it was amazing to flip through.

Batman1-1.jpg

very nice appeal on that copy Sean. Congrats! Did you still have enough money left to cover the hotel? :insane:

You get some very interesting stuff, Sardo. :applause:

+1. Love what you've been posting lately. (thumbs u

very cool - love the old political stuff.

A small note - Alf Landon was the Prez candidate, Knox the VP

+1. Love what you've been posting lately. (thumbs u

very cool - love the old political stuff.

A small note - Alf Landon was the Prez candidate, Knox the VP

It has been corrected - thank you sir (thumbs u

Doiby, I'm heading to Philly in two weeks. Where are the best cheesesteaks? Geno's, Pats or some other local place?

Cosmi's deli, right around the corner from Pat's.

Cosmi's Deli

Jim's on South Street is also good. Between Pat's and Geno's, I prefer Pat's lately. But both are pretty close.

Batman1-1.jpg

(worship)

Congrats!

Doiby, I'm heading to Philly in two weeks. Where are the best cheesesteaks? Geno's, Pats or some other local place?

Tony Lukes. http://tonylukes.com/directions.htm

Failing that, try Jim's at 4th and South.

Under no circumstances go to Pat's or Geno's. Tourist traps.

I forgot about Tony Luke's. I haven't been there in awhile, and when I do go, I get the Roast Pork sandwich. :cloud9:

I don't think Pat's and Geno's are terrible by any means. It all depends on the crowd and time of day. Pat's has actually gotten some good reviews of late:

http://www.hollyeats.com/Pats.htm

Tony Lukes. http://tonylukes.com/directions.htm

Failing that, try Jim's at 4th and South.

Under no circumstances go to Pat's or Geno's. Tourist traps.

I saw this one on the Food Channel. Will defintiely check it out - thanks!!

Cosmi's deli, right around the corner from Pat's.

Cosmi's Deli

Jim's on South Street is also good. Between Pat's and Geno's, I prefer Pat's lately. But both are pretty close.

Awesome - the menu looks great - Im going to grab a "Jacked up" cheesesteak. :cloud9:

Batman1-1.jpg

Very nice looking copy!! Congratulations!!!!!

Had some GREAT stuff waiting on me when I got home from Heroes!! :whee:

Upgrade for me :acclaim: (so have a extra if anyone needs one) :gossip:

SingleSeries20-1.jpg

Another one to mark off the list!

sparkler34.jpg

Always wanted a nice presentable copy, now I do:

shock7.jpg

And gotta love this:

mensadvent27.jpg

Very nice Hogarth! :applause:

sparkler34.jpg

Very nice books being posted. Congrats on the upgrade on the Tarzan David!. Great seeing you in Charlotte again.

Congrats and thanks for all the help Tim!

I was able to scoop up some fun books for my collection as well at the show.

This one has taken a while to secure. When I bought the More Fun Collection in 1995, the only book the collector kept was his Gene Autry #1. I've looked ever since for an affordable copy. The search has ended. Thanks Tyler!

scan0006-10.jpg

Got this trio from my good buddy Richard (Mr Bedrock). I am very pleased to have them in the house

:)

scan0001-10.jpg

scan0003-11.jpg

scan0002-11.jpg

And the highlight acquistion for me was finally landing a solid lower grade copy of this, long sought after, mini-grail

Again, thanks go to Tyler for this one

scan0005-10.jpg

Edited by ciorac