• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

I knew this would be brought up. I use acid free foam board and bags that shrink under very low heat. What I have done for the last 20 years is cut a piece of foamboard out just larger than the comic. Then slip it into the bag. Then under low heat it is shirnk wrapped. This makes the comic so it can never be bent and the benfit is it is airtight. You could drop it, toss it and remove it from the box without having to worry about it getting any damage. Then they are placed in standard long boxes and put into a huge safe that is tempature controlled to right around 72 degrees give or take a degree. Also a reusable descant system is replaced every three months to keep even the thought of moisture out of the safe. Books I shrank wrapped 20 years ago look completely perfect as they day they went in to the boxes.

The real benifit is they are airtight keeping the air from yellowing or foxing the books. I buy the foam board in bulk as well as the bags, It costs me about a buck on average to do this to the comic. Books that are mylared or encapsulated like CGC or PGX are in no way airtight nor meet the standards or an archival case.

Thanks for the explanation. I do not slab books nor do I believe that is necessary for optimal storage but the slabs are, generally speaking, a responsible way to store comics.

There is debate regarding whether to seal pulp-paper artifacts in an airtight environment as the book will give off it's own destructive gases as it ages. It's possible that allowing some "breathing" is to the artifacts benefit. There have been prior discussions on the Boards citing various studies done by the Library of Congress, though I don't believe there is a definitive answer.

To counteract these off-gases, cgc inserts two pieces of micro-chamber paper that is specifically designed to absorb them. They are reasonably inexpensive and, if you don't employ them already, I highly recommend them.

Looking forward to you sharing more of your jewels!

I can understand the fears or sealing them, but I guessI am a pretty good case study for about 29 years. The coolest thing I ever saw and I only have two of these cases were an item made by an archival company. It was called the fortress. I know the inventor and they quit selling them about 10 years ago because they have been selling huge version of their caes for giant tapastries and rare documents. Anyhow these thing are amazing. it was truly designed with archiving of comics and magazines in mind. they sold for aroud 30 bucks each. I can still get them from the company for around 20. Even though they don't make them anymore they have a a few thousand in the warehouse in San Franscisco. I wish I had one of those for every comic I have but it would be exspensive.For now I will just keep doing what I am doing and hopfully all the comics stay in their current state.

Off to bed here is another book.

Here is my Super Duck #1 I just had to have this comic. Love the WWII cover. Probably a VF- picture seems to have blurred a little during pic. Ill try to get a scanner soon.

Photobucket

I knew this would be brought up. I use acid free foam board and bags that shrink under very low heat. What I have done for the last 20 years is cut a piece of foamboard out just larger than the comic. Then slip it into the bag. Then under low heat it is shirnk wrapped. This makes the comic so it can never be bent and the benfit is it is airtight. You could drop it, toss it and remove it from the box without having to worry about it getting any damage. Then they are placed in standard long boxes and put into a huge safe that is tempature controlled to right around 72 degrees give or take a degree. Also a reusable descant system is replaced every three months to keep even the thought of moisture out of the safe. Books I shrank wrapped 20 years ago look completely perfect as they day they went in to the boxes.

I take it you are using archival quality foam core like is used to mount limited edition art prints. That wouldn't take up any more room than a slab.

Zoot Comics #1 (#NN)

Photobucket

I will show my ignorance on this. Is this the same as the Zoot jungle series or is this a different Zoot altogether?

Its the original Zoot series from 1946 they didn't start adding the GGa covers till around #7 or so. Those are the ones you are probably familiar with. The one I posted is #1(#nn) it's like they forgot to put the #1 in the empty circle on the cover. Har dto find in nice shape it seems.

Here is Kid Cowboy #1 (1950) in just about perfect shape. I couldn't believe the color this book has when I got it. If I recall the person I bought it from was like an accountant and this was the only comic he had, not sure how he aquiried it, but I was glad to find it in this shape. Has to be the nicest one out there.

Photobucket

Here is a gorgeous copy of Comic Land #1. It is in almost perfect condition. The fading of the black on the cover is not from age it was made with chaep paper and ink and didn't stick well. Looks like it was made with one of those old Ditto machines from the 60 or 70's and the rolled off a 1000 copies. Very hard to find in this shape.

Photobucket