• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

The girl is also not very Schomburg, as Schomburg was gorgeous but more "restrained" in the overall layout of the human figure (and this is what makes his painting pieces great, IMO). That monster is also pretty un-Schomburg. lol

AMAZINGADVENTURES2-D-1.jpg

..... I had always considered it a Saunders cover and was surprised to see the notation. The technique certainly seems consistent with his output. During this time period he was doing pulps, anthologies, paperbacks, and then the whole Ziff-Davis run...... he would almost would have to utilize assistants for deadline purposes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I had part of this book as a kid (front cover and 20 or so pages). Thanks to BLB for mentioning it in one of his recent historical posts... I gave up hunting for one years ago, but when he reminded me of it, I looked around, and now, 35 years later, I will get to finish the second story and read the rest of the book :D

HyperMysteryComics011940-051015500_zpsded7a9ca.jpg

I know, I know... It has tape. Sometimes, for some books, even your biggest no-go-oh-hell-no deal-breaker doesn't matter.

i like this book very much, and am on the lookout for a #2 to go with my own copy.

my newest additions.

8703857422_40696b41d9.jpg

cool book (first sad sack I think)

I only need like 5 more issues to complete 1-84 on True comics~!

..... I had always considered it a Saunders cover and was surprised to see the notation. The technique certainly seems consistent with his output. During this time period he was doing pulps, anthologies, paperbacks, and then the whole Ziff-Davis run...... he would almost would have to utilize assistants for deadline purposes. GOD BLESS...

Allan Anderson cover (he shared a studio with Saunders and used the same models). Schomburg art is interior only.

Allan Anderson cover (he shared a studio with Saunders and used the same models). Schomburg art is interior only.

Thanks, brother....I was hoping you might chime in. GOD BLESS...

P.S. He possibly did other Z-D's ?

P.S. He possibly did other Z-D's ?

I'm sure he did...or someone like him...

larsofmars11.jpg

spacepatrol1.jpg

Lars is Anderson. Space Patrol is Saunders.

....here I've always thought Saunders did all the Z-D's...... but the above example has his dynamic layout but the technique is not quite right...... I wonder if he did layouts for others to finish from time to time..... GOD BLESS...

Don't know.

Who did this cover?

crusaderfrommars2.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hm

[font:Times New Roman]Can't say for certain, but my best guess would be Rafael DeSoto. It looks like his style. DeSoto did some uncredited comic book covers in the early 50's, but he's most known for pulp covers.

http://www.pulpartists.com/DeSoto.html [/font]

Thanks to Comichut for this beauty.

Two-FistedTales30cgc96owwgaines01-1_zps09f1bc2e.jpg

Great copy.

Without its being signed, I would never have identified that cover as being by Jack Davis. hm

Definitely one of his best, but I have to disagree -- signature or no, it's readily identifiable as a Davis work!

Great copy.

Without its being signed, I would never have identified that cover as being by Jack Davis. hm

Definitely one of his best, but I have to disagree -- signature or no, it's readily identifiable as a Davis work!

You don't have to disagree; you want to disagree. lol

Who did this cover?

crusaderfrommars2.jpg

The cover artist is Clarence Doore.

David Saunders has a biographical profile of Doore at his website: Link

Thanks BZ. That looks like a perfect match (thumbs u