• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

but it's cap't midnight 17 i'm hot for now--go check that bad boy out. just a killer raboy cover, missed by o'street.

buttock, now THAT's a Capt. Midnight 17 - wow. (worship)

he's well-named for not having it in the mail to me already.

...and here's another (hey, it even has my name on the cover):

SilStr6.jpg

pq? what a book!

Natural off-white and supple.

Mod (P) resto brought the price down to a very affordable level.

Took me about 7 seconds to crack the slab, just my kinda book. :cloud9:

What an awesome book!

Is this the first time you've owned a copy?

...and here's another (hey, it even has my name on the cover):

SilStr6.jpg

pq? what a book!

Natural off-white and supple.

Mod (P) resto brought the price down to a very affordable level.

Took me about 7 seconds to crack the slab, just my kinda book. :cloud9:

What an awesome book!

Is this the first time you've owned a copy?

Yes - my first (and last) copy. :cloud9:

My first post in this thread. Just received this today. I paid too much for it but I just love the inappropriateness of this cover. I guess it's the "Williamsport Copy"? (shrug)

Where is that pedigree book when you need it...

CrimeSuspenstories23_CGC80small.jpg

"Senator KEFAUVER. This is the July one. It seems to be a man with a woman in a boat and he is choking her to death here with a crowbar. Is that in good taste?

Mr. GAINES. I think so.

Mr. HANNOCH. How could it be worse?" (William Gaines Senate Testimony, http://www.thecomicbooks.com/gaines.html)

From comicbookpedigrees.com...

WILLIAMSPORT

Williamsport, PA is known more as the home of the Little League World Series than for a place where classic comics can be found. However, Jack Juka found the "mother lode" of comics there. After buying at a local convention what he called the nicest pair of Captain America #78's he had ever seen, Jack was informed that this was just the tip of the iceberg. This collection, being brokered by dealer and comic shop owner Joe Figured, contained over 3,000 total comics from the start of the 40s to the end of the 50s, most of which were bought off the newsstand. Digging deep into his retirement fund, and with the support of his wife Julie, Jack finally struck a deal for what he would later call the Williamsport Collection.

Although the collection contained over 3000 comics in various grades, it was the full runs of Batman and Superman that make this collection stand out. No other Golden Age pedigree contains complete runs of these titles past #100, and none possess the high grades found in the Williamsport collection. To put it in perspective, almost half of the highest graded copies for 1950's Superman and Batman issues on CGC's census are held by the Williamsport copy.

108936.jpg.570595d893eaa6f4f0040825676ef7df.jpg

WILLIAMSPORT

Williamsport, PA is known more as the home of the Little League World Series than for a place where classic comics can be found. However, Jack Juka found the "mother lode" of comics there. After buying at a local convention what he called the nicest pair of Captain America #78's he had ever seen, Jack was informed that this was just the tip of the iceberg. This collection, being brokered by dealer and comic shop owner Joe Figured, contained over 3,000 total comics from the start of the 40s to the end of the 50s, most of which were bought off the newsstand. Digging deep into his retirement fund, and with the support of his wife Julie, Jack finally struck a deal for what he would later call the Williamsport Collection.

Although the collection contained over 3000 comics in various grades, it was the full runs of Batman and Superman that make this collection stand out. No other Golden Age pedigree contains complete runs of these titles past #100, and none possess the high grades found in the Williamsport collection. To put it in perspective, almost half of the highest graded copies for 1950's Superman and Batman issues on CGC's census are held by the Williamsport copy.

The problem is that the CGC label doesn't identify it as a pedigree and there was no certificate, So now, how does one confirm the book as a Williamsport copy? I don't see any identifying marks. Any thoughts?

WILLIAMSPORT

The problem is that the CGC label doesn't identify it as a pedigree and there was no certificate, So now, how does one confirm the book as a Williamsport copy? I don't see any identifying marks. Any thoughts?

There are exceptions in every pedigree/collection, but most Williamsport books have this identifying mark(again, this was lifted from comicpedigrees,com)...

108940.jpg.a4b3699dedba82cb15e70a9e068d46a8.jpg

My first post in this thread. Just received this today. I paid too much for it but I just love the inappropriateness of this cover. I guess it's the "Williamsport Copy"? (shrug)

Thats a pretty book. I was paying tribute to the great MAD writer Frank Jacobs on a different comic book forum a few years back, and got everyone so MAD they censored me. The mods removed my posts and literally told me I was just a troll and to watch my step. :sumo: Heres the verses......

See the man.......

he is a fisherman.....

he has a boat.......

on saturdays he likes to go fishing in his boat......

fish, fish, fish.......

he has never missed a saturday yet.......

thats because the fisherman is not married.......

See the woman........

she is the fishermans date.......

she does not like to fish, but she likes to talk.......

talk, talk, talk.........

she likes to talk about getting married......

she likes to talk about raising a family......

she likes to talk about buying a house......

she thinks fishing is a waste of time.......

the man is tired of listening to the woman talk about everything except fishing.....

he says fishermen should be quiet because fish can hear pretty good......

he is going to help the woman be a little quieter.......

hush, hush, hush.......

soon the woman will be very very quiet.......

and the man will be able to continue fishing ......

even though he is out of worms........

good thing he has his knife with him.

Thats a pretty book. I was paying tribute to the great MAD writer Frank Jacobs on a different comic book forum a few years back, and got everyone so MAD they censored me. The mods removed my posts and literally told me I was just a troll and to watch my step. :sumo: Heres the verses......

See the man.......

he is a fisherman.....

he has a boat.......

on saturdays he likes to go fishing in his boat......

fish, fish, fish.......

he has never missed a saturday yet.......

thats because the fisherman is not married.......

See the woman........

she is the fishermans date.......

she does not like to fish, but she likes to talk.......

talk, talk, talk.........

she likes to talk about getting married......

she likes to talk about raising a family......

she likes to talk about buying a house......

she thinks fishing is a waste of time.......

the man is tired of listening to the woman talk about everything except fishing.....

he says fishermen should be quiet because fish can hear pretty good......

he is going to help the woman be a little quieter.......

hush, hush, hush.......

soon the woman will be very very quiet.......

and the man will be able to continue fishing ......

even though he is out of worms........

good thing he has his knife with him.

That made me laugh. I bit dark but knowing the Frank Jacobs reference it's well done. Sorry to hear the other forum members didn't get the joke. lol

Yeah, it's pretty nice and tough to find in high grade with the black cover. Now I just need to find my Crime Suspense 22...

Mini-geekfest at casa Ciorac on Monday night and I came home with the beauty, Single Series #20. Or as I like to call it "the Tarzan book". :grin: I think it's one of the great golden age covers. Big thanks to Ciorac for hosting and to Comics-n-ERB for hooking me up with a beautiful book!

SingleSeries20CGCVG40_good.jpg

Mini-geekfest at casa Ciorac on Monday night and I came home with the beauty, Single Series #20. Or as I like to call it "the Tarzan book". :grin: I think it's one of the great golden age covers. Big thanks to Ciorac for hosting and to Comics-n-ERB for hooking me up with a beautiful book!

Congrats again Todd :applause:

It was great to see you again, and to see that smile on your face when the deal was struck!

And thanks to David, again, for treating us all to a delicious dinner at Trattoria Giuseppe :)

That made me laugh. I bit dark but knowing the Frank Jacobs reference it's well done. Sorry to hear the other forum members didn't get the joke. lol

Yea, its dark..... but thats a dark cover. Its a murder scene.

And they didn't like the joke cuz Wertham was involved in the discussion :o

Edited by Senormac

It was great to see you again, and to see that smile on your face when the deal was struck!

And thanks to David, again, for treating us all to a delicious dinner at Trattoria Giuseppe :)

Thats an amazing book to own Fury. It truly is one of the great GA covers. :applause:

Thats an amazing book to own Fury. It truly is one of the great GA covers. :applause:

Thanks! I've admired it for years and am very happy to have one.

My golden scores from the NOLA con. Thanks to Dale for the Supes!

11-01-30%20NOLA%20Comics%20JXV.JPG

I never read a Modern before..... but Superman during that time period is excellent

Nice pick ups honky (thumbs u

Edited by Senormac

(thumbs u

I really need a copy of that one...just not that nice (that's a great looking 4.0!)

And I still get a kick out of the issue notes :grin:

Thanks! I've admired it for years and am very happy to have one.

2949089971_184ae164cf_o.jpg

I have always wanted a copy of that one. The Tip Top issues with Foster Tarzan stories are terrific. The ad is from Broncho Bill single series.

I have been to Fellini's in Newtown Square, I think, but never to Trattoria Giuseppe. Are they related?

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

:applause: