• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Wow, David, cool stuff! What are the contents of the Superman HC? Is it a novel with pictures? The Tarzan book and the letter are amazing. Congrats on a great find!

Hey Todd, thought you might like the Superman book :)

It was published in 1942 by Random House. Written by George Lowther. It has illustrations and painted page spreads in it by Joe Shuster. It was published with a Dust Jacket which I don't have.

Really neat item. I've not read it yet but plan to.

Here is a really neat item. It's a Dime Action Book. I've never seen the Capt. Marvel one before so I grabbed it up. :)

scan0011-4.jpg

scan0012-2.jpg

That is cool! Never seen it before. What year is it?

Hey Mark!

I had never seen one either! It was published in 1941 and is like a big little book in that it has illustrations on the right and text on the left.

Batman14.jpg

Just because also :popcorn:

perfect "press out that spine roll" candidate (thumbs u

I wonder hm

I think its a printing misalignment ( maybe the same thing ? )

The cover is smooth to the very edge of the spine. Isn't spine roll because of multiple readings w/ cover fold back usually being the culpret ?

If the book was "rolled" back to the edge of the staples and pressed .... the right edge of the book would pull back also and expose a good bit of the first page. At least thats what I'm thinkin. Its cut perfectly straight on the right edge...not staggered

Edited by Senormac

Had a great time visiting with my buddy David (comics-n-erb) who happened to be in town on business. We did some comic horse trading and I was able to pick up some nice low grade comic goodness :)

captainvideo4.jpg

Bill, thats a photo cover.....isn't it ? (shrug)

It looks like art and photo mixed

I think it is mixed

Ahhh, the infamous The Conqueror. Isn't that considered the worst film the Duke made (not counting some of his early oaters)?

Edit - Well, it has a fantastic 3.1 ratings on IMDB ...

Since we're showing old Four Colors, this one in yesterday. I love how these old fc's start right at the front and end in the last panel of the back cover. Not one single ad in the entire book. (thumbs u

FourColor544.jpg

Fourcolor544bc.jpg

Ahhh, the infamous The Conqueror. Isn't that considered the worst film the Duke made (not counting some of his early oaters)?

It was filmed too close to some nuclear testing facilities -- a disproportionate number of the cast and crew ended up dying of cancer, including Wayne, director Powell, Agnes Morehead, and Susan Hayward. Coincidence? (shrug) I dunno.

It was filmed too close to some nuclear testing facilities -- a disproportionate number of the cast and crew ended up dying of cancer, including Wayne, director Powell, Agnes Morehead, and Susan Hayward. Coincidence? (shrug) I dunno.

Was it shot there? I seem to recall that that location was a very popular spot for shooting at the time, no? Still, John Wayne as Ghenkis Khan is a stretch anyway you want to look at it.