• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,405 posts in this topic

I couldn't bid on much in the Heritage auction, because I spent all my comic money on this book prior to leaving on my world tour. Sure is fun having it as a companion on the trip though :)

:luhv::cloud9:

AllAmerican16.jpg

yay! love having that book in my geek family.

It's ready for you to thumb it up :)

I couldn't bid on much in the Heritage auction, because I spent all my comic money on this book prior to leaving on my world tour. Sure is fun having it as a companion on the trip though :)

AllAmerican16.jpg

Major congratulations :banana:

I'd be so nervous I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

And I don't even want to think about the airplane portions of the trip ???

At least we would go down together lol

Congratulations!

All the action on those Wings took place during the live auction which I attended. I was getting auction overload by then and it seemed like it took forever to get through the handful of Wings issues.

There has been a phone bidder in each of the last three auctions that wants to Wings as bad as I do. It kinda drags it out. He got some cheap when my internet connection glitched and the lot went from active to over before I could click.

Bummer. You need someone to de-glitch you to prevent this from happening in the future.

Or use the phone :makepoint:

AllAmerican16.jpg

:o Way to go Bill!!! Very nice looking copy of a wonderful book! Can't wait till I can visit again and see all the neat books you've been adding to the collection!

Thanks David. Some neat books! And others yet to come, will/have left the nest to bring the AA home. But it is worth it

Congratulations!

All the action on those Wings took place during the live auction which I attended. I was getting auction overload by then and it seemed like it took forever to get through the handful of Wings issues.

There has been a phone bidder in each of the last three auctions that wants to Wings as bad as I do. It kinda drags it out. He got some cheap when my internet connection glitched and the lot went from active to over before I could click.

Bummer. You need someone to de-glitch you to prevent this from happening in the future.

Or use the phone :makepoint:

You'd think Heritage would call him. "Mr. Cheetah, are you aware that you haven't bid on these Church copies of Wings Comics yet?"

Ok, this is not a comic book but it is so directly related and a cool piece of comic history I needed to share it.

This is a large poster (56" x 42") advertising the promotional comic book "Alaska Bush Pilot" from 1959. I doubt there are many still in existence and perhaps this is the only one.

As far as the comic itself, Heritage has only sold one copy back in 2005. You can usually find one on ebay and they are not very expensive, perhaps $100 - $150 for the better conditioned copies. I don't know where Heritage got its information from so I can't verify the story but I think there are more than 28 surviving copies.

The Heritage auction description read:

Alaska Bush Pilot #1 (Jan Enterprises, 1959) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages. Here's a promotional comic for the collector who thought he had everything! We'd be remiss if we didn't recount this comic's backstory: the entire print run of 100 copies was found at a defunct printer's shop in Portland, Oregon, and 72 of them were water-damaged or otherwise unsalvageable. So here's one of the 28 surviving copies, and you certainly won't find one in a nicer grade! Not listed in Overstreet.

My CGC 9.8 copy is below.

DSCN3407-1.jpg

Alaska.jpg

Jumbo17.jpg

i am out of my skull for this one. when i got out of my limited jumbo run [9-20, missing a 9], i kept the 10 and 17 cuz i love 'em so. this one is just so wonderful.

Thanks, Billy. Given the history of reds on FH titles, the reds and purple on this one are just stunning. No joke that it looks freshly printed.

Jumbo17.jpg

i am out of my skull for this one. when i got out of my limited jumbo run [9-20, missing a 9], i kept the 10 and 17 cuz i love 'em so. this one is just so wonderful.

Thanks, Billy. Given the history of reds on FH titles, the reds and purple on this one are just stunning. No joke that it looks freshly printed.

That's a crazy cover! The colors are fantastic!

Was that a copy that Metropolis had at one point? I recall seeing one that was just incredible and I would think it was your Church copy. In any event, all your newbies look spectacular!