• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Jack, the Tracy books are listed in the 2007 OS Guide on page 554. They are the Large Feature Comic #1 (1939), #4, #8 and #11.

The Lone Ranger book is listed on page 703 of the 2007 OS Guide. It is Large Feature Comic #3 (1939).

Definitely not books you see everyday! (thumbs u

Not every day, no. But some days.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17114&Lot_No=16457

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17114&Lot_No=16288

Nice pickups though, especially the #1. :applause:

Jack, the Tracy books are listed in the 2007 OS Guide on page 554. They are the Large Feature Comic #1 (1939), #4, #8 and #11.

The Lone Ranger book is listed on page 703 of the 2007 OS Guide. It is Large Feature Comic #3 (1939).

With the internet now, there is barely anything that is not around some days! :)

With the internet now, there is barely anything that is not around some days! :)

It helps when you're looking for them. I always am. I love all the early Feature and Large Feature comics. What do you know about that Popeye book BTW?

It helps when you're looking for them. I always am. I love all the early Feature and Large Feature comics. What do you know about that Popeye book BTW?

Only what the seller wrote in his listing:

Offered here is a nice, unrestored copy of Popeye #944 from 1936. This book measures 9 ½” x 13” and has 16 linen-like pages (2 covers plus 6 interior pages). The book is in Fine condition with supple off-white pages. The following defects keep the book from grading higher: slight bump to upper right corner of book, stress along spine, minor bump to lower left corner of book, ¼” spine split at bottom. Overall a very nice-looking copy of a very hard to find Popeye book from 1936.

I can't find a listing for it in either the promo or main section of the Guide. Anyone know if it is listed anywhere or more about it? (shrug)

I can't find a listing for it in either the promo or main section of the Guide. Anyone know if it is listed anywhere or more about it? (shrug)
I'm looking in the 2006 guide but Popeye is always evasive since it's spread out. It's not in the BLBs or the Victorian section either. Who's the publisher?

Perhaps Mr. Beerbohm knows...?

Edited by agro23

I'm looking in the 2006 guide but Popeye is always evasive since it's spread out. It's not in the BLBs or the Victorian section either. Who's the publisher?

Perhaps Mr. Beerbohm knows...?

King Features, 1936. 16 pages (including covers).

The "issue #" is listed in the lower left corner of the cover.

Bob had one listed but his listing notes 28 pages. I wonder if yours is a later printing...? Does it look like it's missing pages?

I found it by accident because I tried Saalfield as the publisher.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:NabCMYTFlbMJ:www.blbcomics.com/comics/platpage.php+popeye+saalfield+944&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Bob had one listed but his listing notes 28 pages. I wonder if yours is a later printing...? Does it look like it's missing pages?

I found it by accident because I tried Saalfield as the publisher.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:NabCMYTFlbMJ:www.blbcomics.com/comics/platpage.php+popeye+saalfield+944&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

That's a good question. I'll take a closer look.

Mark, great books! :applause:

The Secret Agent X-9 FB is a gorgeous copy! Do you have the two Cupples and Leon style Secret Agent X-9 books from 1934? If not, you might want to add them to your want list - Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond. (thumbs u

The Large Features are great books. I only have one, the Tarzan one, but that's a run I'd love to work on one day.

I've seen a couple of different versions of these Popeye linen books on ebay over the last couple of years. I'm not sure what to make of them either or how scarce they are. IIRC, they are more like illustrated storybooks, right? I want to say I saw one that folded out accordian-style, but I mght be wrong.

Jeff

Is that HIT 11 as rare as it seems? Haven't actually went after one, but that bear cover is great!
The only other one I've ever seen since I started collecting the Gerber cover covers in 2003/2004 was on eBay with a detached cover and amateur resto as I recall and it still went for something like $200. It's like the Rocket 3 where I've only seen one other and it was in worse shape (a Rocket 3 on eBay in Poor sold for more than I could pay at the time).

I always like an excuse to show this book off. Picked it up a long time ago and feel very fortunate to have it.

Ken

hit11.jpg

Is that HIT 11 as rare as it seems? Haven't actually went after one, but that bear cover is great!
The only other one I've ever seen since I started collecting the Gerber cover covers in 2003/2004 was on eBay with a detached cover and amateur resto as I recall and it still went for something like $200. It's like the Rocket 3 where I've only seen one other and it was in worse shape (a Rocket 3 on eBay in Poor sold for more than I could pay at the time).

I always like an excuse to show this book off. Picked it up a long time ago and feel very fortunate to have it.

Ken

hit11.jpg

Hit, Crack and Smash have some of the best reading and cool covers. I get the feeling that they don't get as much respect as some other books, but I think they're the greatest, with a high level of quality.

Ken

hit11.jpg

Hit, Crack and Smash have some of the best reading and cool covers. I get the feeling that they don't get as much respect as some other books, but I think they're the greatest, with a high level of quality.

"quality" ... pun intended??

Ken, that is an amazing book. Really incredible. :golfclap:

I recently picked up some very early GA Tracys.

"It's Christmas time in Hollis.....Moe?"

Buttock, you never heard of the infamous Hollis Moe pedigree collection? 10x Guide routinely. :whistle:

It was a failed reference to this Christmas classic. Sorry about the ad, I couldn't find it on Youtube.

Ken

hit11.jpg

nice

gator

Ken

hit11.jpg

(worship) If that's unrestored and you'd like to, you know, unload the heavy burden that book must be on your collection, feel free to let me know. lol

Really cool books. No, it didn't occur to me to look under "Large". Why are two Large Feature books listed 150 pages apart?

I'm flattered that you think I own a 2007 Overstreet. Every 2-3 years I pick up last year's for a buck and it's good enough for me.

Jack

Ken

hit11.jpg

oh, yeah!!!!!

Ken

hit11.jpg

(worship) If that's unrestored and you'd like to, you know, unload the heavy burden that book must be on your collection, feel free to let me know. lol

It is unrestored, but I could never burden someone with such a thing.

Ken