• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In what Golden Age Line would you buy?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2003 at 1:35 PM, NoImSpartacus said:

Can all of you with golden age expertise help me out? I have just sold my volkwagon beetle and now have $ 5000 to play with. I know this amount does not allow me to purchase heavy duty golden age books like a low number Marvel, Capt Americas, or Submariner but if you had $ 5000 in line of books would you look to choose one from.

Its special cause its the only time I will buy a book for $ 5000 even though I know its not alot in golden age. I would like this book to have nice eye appeal but also be buying this piece as an investment cause I will hold it till Im 75 yrs old or pass it down to my son. So, it has to have investment potential too.

Here are my parameters.

1. Nice eye appeal.

2. Investment potential

3. In high grade if possible.

4. Or a key book mid number in slighly lower grade if need be.

I can choose the book but need to know what title to look into for future price rise.

I dont get $ 5000 to often in one large clump and its small compared to many golden age prices but, if I wanted to enjoy and invest in one book, which title would I look towards. Would I go for an All Star Comics, Submariner, Phantom Lady, Speed, Thrilling, Action, Detective, Capt America, All Flash, Planet, Torch, Batman, Marvel, Military comics, Mystic, Sensation, Startling, USA, Target, Young Allies, etc. etc. etc.

I have been collecting Planets for a while now but Fiction house I believe is not a front line title but a secondary line. Also, because of the $ 5000 that I have together this one time, I wish this book to be somewhat of a bluechip and special. Out of all the titles, which title would I go to for a high grade $ 5000 book that will go up in value over the next 20 years. For a high grade, I would assume I would have to buy a mid number of many of the titles mentioned. Which would be better, a higher grade mid numbered book or a lower grade low numbered book?

What title line would you choose and why?

Thanks for any help which is very appreciated.

Detective Comics and Action Comics are probably the safest titles over that long of a timeframe. Captain America Comics isn't bad, either. Anything that isn't a DC or Timely superhero book is risky over that long of a timeframe.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, Aman619 said:

The best advice would have been 5 one thousand dollar copies of AF 15.   That pile of low grade unwanted ness is worth 100-200K now. Is there any Golden Age book that increased more?  No one saw that coming.  High grade copies sure, but not EVERY copy skyrocketing in value. 

The only 2003 advice I took issue with, knowing what we do today, was where someone suggested high grade mid run issues would appreciate more than lower grade keys. I think lower grade keys have and will be the better bet. Even low grade AF 15s are going for crazy money. Same with low grade Cap 1s and Bat 1s

On 8/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, Aman619 said:

The best advice would have been 5 one thousand dollar copies of AF 15.   That pile of low grade unwanted ness is worth 100-200K now. Is there any Golden Age book that increased more?  No one saw that coming.  High grade copies sure, but not EVERY copy skyrocketing in value. 

I like this kind of thinking. 

On 8/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, Terry JSA said:

I like this kind of thinking. 

It doesn’t fit what the OP asked fir though (golden age).    At that point we might as well say 5000 $1 box copies of Batman adventures 12, or shares in Amazon