• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one book you regret not buying....

33 posts in this topic

Curious to know about the one book that you had the chance to buy, but never did, that still haunts you to this day. Mine......about 7 yrs ago i was at silver snail comics on yonge st. in toronto, one of the wall comics they had was a justice league of america #1, i believe it was going for $300-$400cdn. I dont remember the exact condition but it appeared to be about a fine. This is about a year or so before the relaunch of JLA #1. Oh how i regret that day. 893frustrated.gif

Sal

Back in the late 80's, a local store had an ASM 8 with terrific cover gloss and just a small spine ding, for $200.

I looked at it all summer, but never stepped up.... frown.gif

I remember seeing an ad in one of the fanzines around 1986 for a Detective Comics #1 in fair condition - all complete but cover detached and pages tan/brown but supple - price was $400 and I gave serious thought to it but said to myself "hmmm - pre Batman - $400 - I'll pass."

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

when i was younger and collected comics my mother was about to buy me amaz spidey#14 nm-mn+ but i ended up [!@#%^&^] her off about god knows what and she ended up getting me a #14 but it was only in good+ .my brother always reminds of it confused.gif

she ended up getting me a #14 but it was only in good+

Man that is some harsh punishment! I feel your pain! So if you REALLY ticked her off would she only pay for popcorn and a coke at the movies but not spring for Raisinettes and Goobers? grin.gif

In 1990 I can remember Hulk 181's for $75 to $100.

I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a 15 year old comic.

X-Men #1 VF- for $80 in 1989 from a friend. Ended up getting $65 for it from the local comics store..

Jim

why do you regret that??

You eneded up getting it cheaper

X-Men #1 VF- for $80 in 1989 from a friend. Ended up getting $65 for it from the local comics store..

why do you regret that??

You eneded up getting it cheaper

Oh I see the confusion....

He ended up getting $65 for it from the local comic store after I turned him down. Too bad...it was a nice copy but I was getting ready to move and all my stuff (including my comics) had already been picked up by the movers. I'd have to carry the comic with me in my luggage for about two weeks.....which was something I really didn't want to do.

Jim

I was at convention in Dallas back in '90 and I could have picked up a VF/NM copy of Fantastic Four #48 for only $110.00. Seemed like a good deal at the time, but I passed and bought some other comics instead.

Sure wish I would have bought it then.

ff 25 cgc 9.4 in 2001,

mark wilson was asking $2500 ( i think it was 5-6x guide at the time) and i was umming and ahiing and the next day its sold!

also, ff 20 cgc 9.4 on ebay, went for around $1300 and i shouldve bid up to $1500 but that wouldve been 6-7x guide at the time i think

a forum member who has some KILLER hi grade ff;s is the proud and lucky owner of that beauty!!

You know after thinking about it some more....

In 1992, I attended a small comics convention (gathering is more appropriate) held in a church in Ludwigshafen, Germany. The convention was not well attended at all. About 5-6 dealers (mostly moderns issues) and about the same number of attendees. There was a older gentleman selling there that worked at Ramstein AB as a teacher in the DoD school system. He had an FF #1 FN/VF for $350. He also had multiple copies (at least 10 or more) of higher grade GS X-Men #1, X-Men #94, and a slew of Hulk #181s (I say about 30 or more); all ranging from $20-35 a piece. In fact, he had multiples of most Silver and Bronze Marvel issues with nothing later than 1978 or so. He had about 20-30 long boxes of the stuff for sale. Everything was well below 50% (and more) of Overstreet

I bought one of the GS X-Men #1 (for $35), a slew of other high grade X-Men, and other Marvel Silver/Bronze issues from the fellow (he didn't have many DCs as I recall). He apparently once owned a comics store before teaching and was selling to raise cash to put his daughter through college. Also, he said the week before some dealer had traveled from the States and pretty much bought out his collection of Golden Age issues (and made a pretty penny based on his expressions).

If I only knew then what I know now.....I could have made a killing.....as it was though, it was still one of the most enjoyable convention experiences I've ever had.....

Jim

Back about 1991 I didn't buy an Action #101 in maybe Fine condition for about $100. That issue has a beautiful cover of Superman filming an atomic bomb explosion. I don't collect Action or Superman but I still regret passing on that issue.