• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one book you regret not buying....

33 posts in this topic

Only thing I remember regretting missing out on was a copy of Iron Man #1 in about NM- condition for $15. It was at a little booth set up in the middle of a mall and I really wanted it since I had already had a copy of Iron Man #5 (traded some books to another kid for it). It must have been the late seventies or ealy eighties and I didn't have the money and didn't ask my parents because I couldn't see them giving me that much for a comic. It's not a huge issue like some of you are telling about....but I still remember really wanting it at the time.

The Church/Mile high copy's of Star Spangled # 1 and Leading #1. I was offered the pair for 4x guide about 10 years ago and thought to myself that it was "just a little too much" for those books. I think the total for both books was $6000.

Today, Leading comics # 1 guides for $6000 and Star Spangled # 1 guides for $7000. boo.gif

I have two big regrets. The first was about 15-16 years ago at the San Diego Con in the OLD convention center. A dealer had a NM Batman #11 for $550. I thought about it over lunch, and it had sold by the time I got back. My other regret occurred some years later. I called Steve Fishler, as I often did, to see what he'd gotten in that I might be interested in. He had NM copies of Detective #66 and Action #23. He wanted a grand for each of them. I called back the next day and they'd both sold to the same person. AARGH.

Although I try not to dwell in "regret", I think about the following every once in a while:

When I was around 13 or so, I found an ad in the paper( COMICS FOR SALE). The guy lived about two minutes from my parents house, and I used to go over there every couple days and buy FF's and CA's. I remember him showing me a DD # 1, and asking me if I was interested in it. I can't remember what his asking price was, but it didn't seem that "outrageous" at the time. Yes, it was more than I was willing/able to spend on a single comic at the time, but it couldn't have been more than the overall $$$ I spent at his house. He was a really nice guy, and I'm sure he would have worked something out with me. I can still picture that book, and I remember that it was nicer than ALL the FF's and CA's that I bought. I still have the books I bought from him, and a few of them are at least a 9.0. That DD #1 was probably a NM 9.4, and I wish I owned it today......

In 1992, I attended a small comics convention (gathering is more appropriate) held in a church in Ludwigshafen, Germany. The convention was not well attended at all. About 5-6 dealers (mostly moderns issues) and about the same number of attendees.

I had no idea Germany had Comic-cons. Now that is something I regret, not knowing about that when I was there.

Hi All: Not a book but a collection! In the early 90's I had the oppurtunity to buy the bulk of the W PA Marvel Collection. As I am a DC collector I passed on the Marvels. Years later when I realized I had made a mistake I swore that if another oppurtunity arose I would swallow my pride and buy the Marvels. Years later it did, I did.

Best, Tom

About a year and 1/2 ago, Blazing Bob had a Detc 359 9.4 that he wanted $750.00 for...and I felt that was too much. About two months later , I saw him at the Boston show and he mentioned that the book sold and the price was $550.00. Apparently he mispriced it at the time.....then two months later, I get an email from a guy that I had dealt with and he told me he had a Detec 359 that just came back from CGC a 9.4 and wanted $550. ....but by the time that I got back to him , it was gone. - I finally picked one up, but at three times the amount..... 893frustrated.gif

I regret not buying every nice book I passed on ....

About sums it up, buuuuuuuuuuuuut... ya its in the memory banks and here it comes, who's paying for my therapy this week anyway for bringing this topic up 893frustrated.gif .

Its 1989 and I was in my mid-teens havign just made the huge carrer move from paper route to working in a restauraunt I decided to embark on a ASM back issuing project. So I bought them in chunks of 10-15 all the way down to 200. About the time I reached 200 the local comic store who had been supplying me with the issues pulls out a VF/NM or better, I mean it had super gloss but I cant remember how sharp the corner where, ASM 50. He wanted $50 Canadian for it. I passed cause I wasn't under 100 yet. insane.gif I learned a valueable lesson I retain to this day. A list is good for discipline and to help you manage your back issue buying, but every once in a while you have to chuck it out the window if opportunity presents itself. sorry.gif

Detective 1 from a store in Orlando. List price was $7500, he said he'd do it for $6000. Had my credit card out and said nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno, can't do it.

The same book sold for $14500 a year later. Argh.