• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Annual Favorite GA Covers Contest

88 posts in this topic

Most of those I would have nominated have already been nominated. So, here are just a few. If I can think of more (Gerber books are in the bedroom and my wife is already asleep), I'll add until I have reached the maximum.

Superhero

Flash Comics #8

Non-Superhero

New Adventure #18

Action Comics #2

I've lost track of what has been nominated, but I think that these have not.

Non-super hero:

Detective 9 and 13 (classic Flessel covers).

Adventure 26 and 41 (Flessel and O'Melia at their best)

Super hero:

Phantom Lady 23

More Fun 65 (already nominated?)

Here's my dark hourse candidate for super hero cover. I never even noticed this cover until a year ago, when I saw it up close for the first time. It has everything; giant bird-monster, damsels in distress, sexy heroine . . . and other unique attributes. Punch Comics 20:

1695183-Punch20%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

1695183-Punch20(MH)(2).jpg.94bcc06dab47274e458ed510507f16c7.jpg

Supersnipe V1#8 of course. (non superhero)

War Fury #1

Zoot #14 archer cover

Dagar #14

Planet #1

All American 21 (had to)

All Star #9

I'll reserve a few more superhero for later....

Supersnipe V1#8 of course. (non superhero)

War Fury #1

Zoot #14 archer cover

Dagar #14

Planet #1

All American 21 (had to)

All Star #9

I'll reserve a few more superhero for later....

Nicely done Collin!

three more books that i didn't see nom'd;

Black Rider 16 - hell, it's a 1950 book, and it's not the best Maneely ever did, but for the love of pete, i don't see a single Western book in this list here! 893whatthe.gif i'm actually nominating this book in the vain hopes that some western fans will put up some HG Maneely examples, like Arizona Kid 6, maybe? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

WDC&S 48; i (heart) Walt Kelly. confused-smiley-013.gif

Exciting Comics 66; really, any of the Exciting Comics series airbrush covers from "Xela" Schomburg. cloud9.gif

three more books that i didn't see nom'd;

Black Rider 16 - hell, it's a 1950 book, and it's not the best Maneely ever did, but for the love of pete, i don't see a single Western book in this list here! 893whatthe.gif i'm actually nominating this book in the vain hopes that some western fans will put up some HG Maneely examples, like Arizona Kid 6, maybe? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

WDC&S 48; i (heart) Walt Kelly. confused-smiley-013.gif

Exciting Comics 66; really, any of the Exciting Comics series airbrush covers from "Xela" Schomburg. cloud9.gif

I think someone nominated Ghost Rider 4, but you're right - not much western represented.

GREAT call on wdc&s 48, one of my faves. Its really going to be hard on fringe things like funny animal & western, because if lumped in with things like GGA & pre code horror, they don't have a chance, even if they are the BEST example possible of their genre's.

I like Black Rider 20 better but I've got another Western in mind that I'll nominate.

BlackRider20-1.jpg

For your consideration for super-hero covers:

Subby 32

Scoop2.jpg

AirFighters2v5.jpg

Police25big.jpg

Detective208.jpg

For your consideration for non-super hero covers:

Real Life 3

AllAmWest113.jpg

MrMystery12.jpg

Planet66.jpg

War11full.jpg

I dont think these have been nominated yet, all in super hero catagory.

Exciting Comics 28

Captain America 46

Superman 18 and 23

Although I really should nominate books I've already aquired, not ones I'm trying to get, shouldnt I.... tonofbricks.gif