• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO KNOW'S MORE ABOUT RESTORATION....CGC..OR THE DEALER THAT SOLD THE BOOK???

55 posts in this topic

I decided to send it in to CGC and see what they had to say. Again, while I am 95% certain it is the Macon I can't (honestly) try to get that pedigree designation on the submission. Viola....blue label. If I sell this book what is my ethical duty to the comic book community? (I know what I will do. I am wondering what you would do.)

How 'bout including in the auction description (assuming you sell it via auction) the following disclaimer: "CGC does not consider cleaning, pressing or disassembly of a book to be restoration, and the pre-screening process at that company determined a likelihood that at two of those three processes had probably been performed on the book. I know some people in the hobby consider one or more of these processes to be forms of restoration, so I'm disclosing what information I have about the comic to address any concerns in advance."

??

sounds good garth

when you sell a church book, do you need to tell the person that maybe this was one of the books that sat at the bottom of a 5' stack and got pressed for 40 years? and that maybe edgar put it there on purpose cuz he had bent it up pretty good in a frenzied night of drawing it's images? i know no one other than maybe chuck could know that, but it IS possible.

I think you should definitely disclose that! Just like you should tell people if you have taken a Church book through the state of Louisiana. Swamp gases could possibly get into the pages of that book and adversely affect the page quality years from now.

I decided to send it in to CGC and see what they had to say. Again, while I am 95% certain it is the Macon I can't (honestly) try to get that pedigree designation on the submission. Viola....blue label. If I sell this book what is my ethical duty to the comic book community? (I know what I will do. I am wondering what you would do.)

How 'bout including in the auction description (assuming you sell it via auction) the following disclaimer: "CGC does not consider cleaning, pressing or disassembly of a book to be restoration, and the pre-screening process at that company determined a likelihood that at two of those three processes had probably been performed on the book. I know some people in the hobby consider one or more of these processes to be forms of restoration, so I'm disclosing what information I have about the comic to address any concerns in advance."

??

sounds good garth

when you sell a church book, do you need to tell the person that maybe this was one of the books that sat at the bottom of a 5' stack and got pressed for 40 years? and that maybe edgar put it there on purpose cuz he had bent it up pretty good in a frenzied night of drawing it's images? i know no one other than maybe chuck could know that, but it IS possible.

I think you should definitely disclose that! Just like you should tell people if you have taken a Church book through the state of Louisiana. Swamp gases could possibly get into the pages of that book and adversely affect the page quality years from now.

Parker's comics are routinely exposed to noxious gases, so they build up a resistance....

??

sounds good garth

Parker's comics are routinely exposed to noxious gases, so they build up a resistance....

sign-funnypost.gif

??

sounds good garth

if YOUR books aren't showing any deleterious effects of gas exposure, i think the whole hobby can rest easy that it's not a problem. you know what i mean, mr. futon.

??

sounds good garth

if YOUR books aren't showing any deleterious effects of gas exposure, i think the whole hobby can rest easy that it's not a problem. you know what i mean, mr. futon.

You mean the thing YOU poot on?

??

sounds good garth

You mean the thing YOU poot on?

hahahahahahahahahahaha. thank goodness for oral history! [heh, he said oral].

I would say there are some dealers out there that are as good as CGC for restoration detection.

I agree, and in the first place that's why CGC is impartial and third party. If I bought a significant ($$) book i would get it from my reputable dealers, or make sure it's slabbed already if buying from unknown/public persons.

I would say there are some dealers out there that are as good as CGC for restoration detection.

Really? Who?

Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson is probably the best at it of all of the dealers, but I think even he would tell you that Friesen is a bit better at detecting really well hidden restoration (really, it's trimming I'm talking about here, since I don't think either one of them would miss color touch, glue, or more obvious work) than he is.

What about Mark Wilson?

Don't forget Hammer

there were quite a few church books that were restored, as he bought some after the fact from secondary sources to fill gaps.

Some dealers who would detect restoration:

Ed Jaster HERITAGE COMICS AUCTIONS

(the late Patrick Marchbanks)

Harley Yee

Sean Linkenback

Tom Gordon III

John Verzyl ( I love buying from COMIC HEAVEN!!)

Tyler Pokrass

Jon Berk

Gary Carter

Bill Ponsetti (sp)

Michael Naiman

Matt Nelson

Mark Wilson

Matt Wilson

Lon Allen

Fred McSurley

Dan Kramer

Gary Dolgoff

Doug Sulipa

Calvin Slobodian

Ken Olivier

Mark Haspel - CGC (not dealer)

Borock - CGC (not dealer)

who is Chris Freisen? What is the exchange rate for Frostback restoration?

Magik Woo

those were the ones I stuck to when serious. I am sure there are other greats but you nver know, and remember NO ON IS PERFECT and may miss on occassion. Even CGC. Stick the the reputable dealers who have a solid multi-year business and great return policy.

Oh yes the Goldman's (Michael and Marilyn) were good.

as for restored books in general, it's a whole other dimension from simply collecting. It is not always instant cash to buy low grades, restore them and flip them. Put your wallet away until you are an expert. Then spend. And always CGC your $$ books if you can. gossip.gif

[

Everything seems quite reasonable except for this part:

<<<<I know some people in the hobby consider one or more of these processes to be forms of restoration, so I'm disclosing what information I have>>>

It is totally fair to say a person should disclose what was actually done to a book.

It's another thing to insist on discloising what somebody else thinks about it.

Chris F.and Matt Nelson are at the top.

no it looked life Ed Jaster of HERITAGE COMICS AUCTIONS and Harley Yee were at the top. But Nelson was in there, and there really was not particular order. I only worked side by side with Chris Freisen for like two years so I might be biased on his restoration detection ability, definately an expert IMHO. and he's canadian so eats his sandwichs with a fork. and he wears socks with open toed shoes that I was pretty sure were Birkenstocks. I think that makes me a birkenstock restoration detection expert, come to think of it.

Chris F.and Matt Nelson are at the top.

no it looked life Ed Jaster of HERITAGE COMICS AUCTIONS and Harley Yee were at the top. But Nelson was in there, and there really was not particular order. I only worked side by side with Chris Freisen for like two years so I might be biased on his restoration detection ability, definately an expert IMHO. and he's canadian so eats his sandwichs with a fork. and he wears socks with open toed shoes that I was pretty sure were Birkenstocks. I think that makes me a birkenstock restoration detection expert, come to think of it.

I'm confused. Of course, I feel that way after reading most of your posts. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gifscrewy.gif