• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with movie grosses

16 posts in this topic

It always amazes me how much information members seem to have at that fingertips. Can someone please give me the approx. domestic gross for these movies.

X-men

X-men2

Spidey

Hulk

Daredevil

Judge Dredd

LXG

Josie and the [!@#%^&^] cats

Oceans eleven

Any and all help would be appreciated.

It always amazes me how much information members seem to have at that fingertips. Can someone please give me the approx. domestic gross for these movies.

X-men

X-men2

Spidey

Hulk

Daredevil

Judge Dredd

LXG

Josie and the [!@#%^&^] cats

Oceans eleven

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Here ya go:

x-men $157,299,717 a/o 11/19/00

x2 $214,411,695 a/o 07/27/03

spider-man $403,706,375 a/o 08/18/02

hulk $129,538,175 a/o 07/27/03

daredevil $102,543,518 a/o 07/13/03

judge dredd $34,694,000

lxg $23,075,892 a/o 07/13/03

josie $14,252,830 a/o 05/20/01

oceans 11? $183,405,771 a/o 05/28/02

why oceans 11?

X-men - $157,299,717

X-men2 - $214,488,742 Overseas - $188.5 million (not included in domestic numbers)

Spidey - $403,706,375 OS - $418 million

Hulk - $130,176,000 OS - $71 million

Daredevil - $102,543,518 OS - $73,873,071

Judge Dredd - $34,693,481

LXG - $58,839,000

Josie and the [!@#%^&^] cats - $14,271,015

Oceans eleven - $183,417,150

You can find these and other movies at this link.

Jim

Other Comic Book Movies:

Blade(s)

Time Cop

Road to Perdition

Punisher

Men in Black(s)

Superman(s)

Batman(s)

Turtles(s)

Mask

Tracy

Conan(s)

Kull the Conqueror

Red Sonja

Supergirl

Crow(s)

Doc Savage

Mystery Men

Ghost World

Swamp Thing(s)

Popeye

Sheena

Spawn

Rocketeer

Akira

Steel

Phantom

Captain America

Howard the Duck

Fantastic Four

Barbwire

Shadow

thanks to all who replied. The reason i picked oceans eleven was I wanted to have a minor hit movie to compare them to. Is there a number above which a movie is considered a hit or does the cost of making it complicate the formula?

Is there a number above which a movie is considered a hit or does the cost of making it complicate the formula?

Obviously production budget and other costs must be offset against the films gross to decide if a movie was a hit. For example Daredevil and Hulk both had huge advertising budgets, so would probably have had to clear $100 mill total (not just US box office) just to break even.

also though, it was pointed out in newsweek recently that there's a lot of studios who bank on dvd sales and other related merchandise that sometimes comes after the movie and many times is considered by the studios to be where the money is truly made.

The Hulk was one of the most merchandised movies in a long time.I would think the total profit off this movie must have exceeded that of Oceans eleven dispite grossing much less.For some reason neither X-men nor Daredevil seemed to generate the type of merchandizing that Hulk did.

The remake of Ocean's Eleven is not considered a minor hit. If a 183 million gross, plus tons more from international/DVD/Video/T.V/Cable Rights is a "minor" hit, then Hollywood would LOVE to see more minor hits like Ocean's Eleven.

I suspect you did not realize that the year the film came out, it was one of the top-grossing films.

In fact, from worldwideboxoffice.com you can see that it is one of the top grossing films period, with a combined domestic/International gross of over 444 million. The DVD also did phenomenally well when it came out.

It is funny that you threw Ocean's Eleven in the mix because you thought it was a minor hit you could use in comparison to the grosses of the other films on your list.

Regards

Christopher H

You are a bit mistaken, Hollywood is taking a bit of a bath on the Hulk. Hollywood does not see most, if any, of the money from all of those Hulk Hands sales. Marvel/Toybiz made a mint off the merchandising for Hulk (enough to bring their stock close to the 19 dollar mark from a drop down to 15-17 dollars).

Lucky for Marvel they did not have to put up any of their money to finance Hulk.

I LOVED the Hulk film, but I think Marvel's wanting a sequel is something they should stay away from, even if they think they can make a mint off of merchandise again. I like to think that the novelty of Hulk Hands will have worn off by the time the sequel is green-lit, and they lucked out with Hulk Hands, kind of like catching lightning in a bottle (something that usually does not happen twice).

Regards

Christopher H