• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Profiteering S.O.B.s

123 posts in this topic

You're right nobody owes store owners anything either. This is a BUSINESS. Neither side is naturally in debt to the other. They have the God given natural right to ask whatever they want for a comic book, just as every other man has the God given right to not buy it.

Then why does it say $2.95 on the cover????????

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I don't know. Ask Marvel. Why does any book sell for more then its cover price??? makepoint.gif

You're right nobody owes store owners anything either. This is a BUSINESS. Neither side is naturally in debt to the other. They have the God given natural right to ask whatever they want for a comic book, just as every other man has the God given right to not buy it.

Then why does it say $2.95 on the cover????????

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I would venture that less than 20% of all periodicals sold in the United States are sold at the cover price...

That price is a suggestion. The vast majority of periodicals are sold at prices cheaper than that. Some are sold at prices that are higher... Few are sold at cover...

What would happen to Wal-Mart if Time-Warner were allowed to dictate the selling price that Wal-Mart would charge? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In a free market economy, the buyer and seller determine the price. It really is a beautiful thing. And if there are no buyers and no sellers, everybody keeps their own *spoon*. Just like the jerk that spawned this thread (who won't have any takers at his ridiculous price)...

Have to disagree here for a moment.

I owe everything to my customers. If it wasnt for my customers,

1. I would not own my home

2. Would not have met my second wife and my kids today.

3. Would be finacially limited to what I wear, where I eat and things I have bought/own etc... etc.. etc

Do I have opportunaties to gouge my customers on billing or price my repairs as high as a dealership? Absolutely.

Honesty keeps customers loyal, period. If not for my customers, I would not be in the situation/lifestyle I have today.

So do I owe my customers anything? Without a friggen doubt, I sure do.

My mechanic is one of the most valuable people I know. He treats me right....I never even consider going elsewhere....and I refer every person I know to him.

Maybe it is irrational for a customer to cancel a subscription based just on one book's price. But customers are irrational sometimes. King, I think you have great potential with a store but please see that many customers are offput by this action, whether you think it small or not. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, sometimes a lesser short term gain can lead to longer term gains.

-Bob

Well, if that is how most customers in the comic industry react to something they don't like then customers need to calm down. I think customers need to learn that nobody OWES them anything. It seems to me like customers feel like they have been dealt a card of injustice when prices are not to their liking. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. After a long enough period of nobody buying his Cap #25 for $150 he might realize that he should lower the price. It seems like a simply concept to me. That's how the rest of the world works... juggle.gif Will you die if you don't get a Cap #25? insane.gif

You're saying the exact same thing as I am. If you price your stuff too high, a customer will go purchase it elsewhere. While they are at the other place, why not also get what they normally get from you? confused-smiley-013.gif It also seems like a very simple concept to me.

-Bob

Maybe it is irrational for a customer to cancel a subscription based just on one book's price. But customers are irrational sometimes. King, I think you have great potential with a store but please see that many customers are offput by this action, whether you think it small or not. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, sometimes a lesser short term gain can lead to longer term gains.

-Bob

Well, if that is how most customers in the comic industry react to something they don't like then customers need to calm down. I think customers need to learn that nobody OWES them anything. It seems to me like customers feel like they have been dealt a card of injustice when prices are not to their liking. If you don't like the price then don't buy it. After a long enough period of nobody buying his Cap #25 for $150 he might realize that he should lower the price. It seems like a simply concept to me. That's how the rest of the world works... juggle.gif Will you die if you don't get a Cap #25? insane.gif

You're saying the exact same thing as I am. If you price your stuff too high, a customer will go purchase it elsewhere. While they are at the other place, why not also get what they normally get from you? confused-smiley-013.gif It also seems like a very simple concept to me.

-Bob

It is a simple concept, and you got it right. That's how free enterprise works. All of these sellers that sell the same stuff are competing for the same dollar, and the one who can offer the product for the lowest price will win that dollar. If your price is too high then go somewhere else to get it. Its just in this particular case, I just don't see how the overpricing of one book would be big enough to have be leave the store for good. Is Cap #25 really strong enough to divide an industry like that? tonofbricks.gif

My problem is the LCS is supposed to sell them for the price on the cover. Marvel sells them to the LCS below sticker, and the LCS sells them at sticker. Cut and dry. After it leaves the LCS, whole nother story (as seen on feebay). If the comic was brand new and a complete piece of *spoon* would the LCS just give it to you for 25% of sticker? I think not.

If all new issues were sold on a supply/demand scenario, why would there be prices on the cover at all???????

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

Actually that's not true...

If Marvel required LCSs to charge a set price they would be in violation of a number of federal laws... The cover price is a "suggested retail price" and nothing more.

I'm not aware of these federal laws, please let me know what they are.

You are welcome to peruse the New York Attorney General web page where they discuss such things:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/business/antitrust.html

And far as this thread, I really can't fathom how people can defend this dealer...

Jim

After hearing that this dealer is jerking his subscribers around and selling copies they should have received, I am certainly not defending him either. Any self-respecting LCS fills their pull-list customers before even considering what to price the "extra" copies at... I defend the dealer's right to set his own price for his extras, but there is no defense for violating the contract between retailer and subscriber. mad.gif

Interesting link. Thanks for providing the information.

As I was reading about the Donelly, and Sherman Act of

the Anti-trust laws, I was reminded of some golf companies

who set their prices on clubs and balls (please excuse me here)

Titleist has told their customers " if you sell our products

at below our base price, you can not sell our products" I did

not know that was illegal, and I am now curious why they can get

away with this practice. When I go to work tomorrow I will inquire.

Ok, back to our normally scheduled descussion.... sign-offtopic.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

Ethics??? He's not doing anything uneithical 27_laughing.gif He's just asking a freakin' insane price for a comic book. foreheadslap.gif He's not screwing other people over, he's screwing himself over because nobody will buy the book.

If you don't see price gouging at a LCS for a book released 2 days before as unethical, then well you've done it, you've left me completely speechless. hail.gif

Anyways, this might even come off as something of a buisness oppurtunity for all the "free market I do what I want" buisness types but loyalty from a customer can't be measured and stunts like this is exactly why it is that way. We own a small buisness at a seasonal town, so people travelling from across the country stopping by each summer is something we never expected and were pleasantly suprised. And we owe everything my family has to our customers and will go out of our way to cater to each and every one of them.

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

Ethics??? He's not doing anything uneithical 27_laughing.gif He's just asking a freakin' insane price for a comic book. foreheadslap.gif He's not screwing other people over, he's screwing himself over because nobody will buy the book.

If you don't see price gouging at a LCS for a book released 2 days before as unethical, then well you've done it, you've left me completely speechless. hail.gif

This is so weird. I cannot believe how many people take personal offense to overpriced books. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this. You must never search Ebay, because if you do you will get angry every time. I am just as speechless as you claim you are. insane.gif Is it really that hard to walk out of a store WITHOUT a Cap #25? confused-smiley-013.gif

-Bob

-Bob

It is a simple concept, and you got it right. That's how free enterprise works. All of these sellers that sell the same stuff are competing for the same dollar, and the one who can offer the product for the lowest price will win that dollar. If your price is too high then go somewhere else to get it. Its just in this particular case, I just don't see how the overpricing of one book would be big enough to have be leave the store for good. Is Cap #25 really strong enough to divide an industry like that? tonofbricks.gif

His problem wasn't only in the gouging on the book, it was in not giving copies to the people with the book on their pull list, even though the LCS owner agreed to do so. In the same situation I would walk too.

-Bob

-Bob

His problem wasn't only in the gouging on the book, it was in not giving copies to the people with the book on their pull list, even though the LCS owner agreed to do so. In the same situation I would walk too.

Well, then that's a problem. If they reserved it, they do DESERVE it. I mean...that's the entire concept behind "reserving" the book in the first place. If the store cannot even follow through with reserved books then they are a pretty sorry store. Why even have a pull?

I don't know... you see all the crazy personalities here. Us comic folks are usually pretty confused.gifinsane.gifscrewy.gif for the most part. I doubt one ridiculously priced book is going to drive away customers if they have a pretty strong relationship with the shop owner. From my perspective, RIDICULOUS prices usually go hand-in-hand with atrocious customer service. Something like a $150 Cap 25 could be the hair that breaks the camel's back and causes an unsatisfied customer to finally move to another shop.

You are right that if you usually offer great service, one expensive comic is not going to drive away your customers. I have to admit there are lots of picky customers that honestly may not be worth the hassle and if this is the one thing that they can't stand... they might not be customers you want anyway. All in all, though, it does seem like even if it's not an official rule, customers expect to be able to purchase a brand new comic for cover price. I may not immediately start shopping elsewhere, but if I saw a ridiculous price on a brand new issue, it would definitely make me start looking for other flaws in the shop. I would also look elsewhere for that particular issue and my guess is a retailer doesn't like me looking around. All in all, it seems to me that overpricing a brand new issue has the potential to cause more problems than it's worth.

Steering this conversation in a different direction, what does everyone think about shops allowing random Joe-schmoes they've never seen before walk out of their store with the entire supply of Cap 25s? On one hand, it seems great because the store has an immediate sell-out. On the other hand, you know that Joe's just going to be reselling your goods for more money. Also, now your regulars are going to be mad.

I personally would impose a limit on the book because I think it would be best for the repeat customers. Let everyone buy one or two issues and maybe let them buy another issue for a certain amount of other goods purchased. I'm not a dealer and am really just curious about this because I think there are a lot of viable options and opinions.

Thanks!

-Bob

I doubt one ridiculously priced book is going to drive away customers if they have a pretty strong relationship with the shop owner

If they have a strong relationship with the shop owner....I imagine the shop owner wouldn't try to charge them $150 for the book in the 1st place. confused-smiley-013.gif

I doubt one ridiculously priced book is going to drive away customers if they have a pretty strong relationship with the shop owner

If they have a strong relationship with the shop owner....I imagine the shop owner wouldn't try to charge them $150 for the book in the 1st place. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You do make a point. I imagine there have to be a lot of casual customers who may not speak to the owner a lot but just see the marked price. Even here, if they find lots to buy usually, this would probably not be enough to make them stop going. But if they only occasionally go to the store, they could take this as a sign that other issues are going to be overpriced and decrease their business with you. I'm still firmly on the side that you shouldn't price ridiculously. thumbsup2.gif

-Bob

So what's going on in Cap 25?

I think that's where we find out Cap is gay 893whatthe.gif ....and worse than that he is married to a Canadian 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif .....Northstar... frustrated.gif

SHOCKWAVES I TELLS YAAA

Chris