• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you sell/trade for your grail?

63 posts in this topic

Several board members have been selling off nice books to acquire grails lately. TEC 27, TEC 31 come to mind.

I have a lot of Bronze, Silver and some Gold scattered around the house. I'm seriously considering selling huge chunks to acquire a grail or two. Not just a few books, but most, like my full SA Flash run.

Have you done this before? If so, any regrets? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anything in my collection that isn't part of my grand collecting scheme now is up for grabs.

The only regret I have is that I sold to dealers instead of forumites because I wasn't aware of the Marketplace until recently.

Go for it.

well, i don't have enough comics to sell to pay for a tec 27, so the only way i would sell my really nice stuff is if i could sell it and use money i had saved up to instantly buy an upgraded copy. but in the long run, you have to decide how much you want that grail, and whether you'll miss what you sell. i've sold a few items from my collection, but all were comics i either wanted to upgrade anyways and/or weren't that hard/expensive to replace.

Several board members have been selling off nice books to acquire grails lately. TEC 27, TEC 31 come to mind.

I have a lot of Bronze, Silver and some Gold scattered around the house. I'm seriously considering selling huge chunks to acquire a grail or two. Not just a few books, but most, like my full SA Flash run.

Have you done this before? If so, any regrets? confused-smiley-013.gif

As you know, I recently went through this decision matrix and it made sense to me to do it. No regrets at all. In time I will be able to reacquire the books I sold to buy the Tec 27, but having that much cash sitting around doesn't happen too often, so I pulled the trigger.

I recommend the strategy to others. There is no feeling like getting your grail of grails, it is pure bliss. cloud9.gif

I am pondering this right now..........have a bunch of GA books being graded right now, and if Metro still has their Tec 27 6.0 a few months from now, I am inclined to sell them all and help Metro out..not a decision I would take lightly... as a collector, I had in mind owning more than just 1 book.

I am pondering this right now..........have a bunch of GA books being graded right now, and if Metro still has their Tec 27 6.0 a few months from now, I am inclined to sell them all and help Metro out..not a decision I would take lightly... as a collector, I had in mind owning more than just 1 book.

Ahhh, but what a book!! Plus, you and I both know, that you would start buying books again once you felt comfortable you had re-capitalized after the purchase.

I'm saving for a grail and considering selling to buy more GA, which I truly enjoy right now. All my ECs except the ShockSuspense 6 and maybe the Crime Suspenstories with Frazetta are are going. Lots of moderns are going out the door. (Captain Americas are already gone, the death frenzy turning me a decent profit.) All duplicates except reader copies for slabbed books are going. I have to go through the boxes and start making decisions. I've waffled quite a bit on my Strange Tales, but I have the Dr. Strange Masterworks edition so they may ultimately go.

My wife, who tolerates the hobby, said something interesting the other day. She'd rather I had one great book than a bunch of ok books. It's first a matter of space, but I think she's right in that the nice, liquid in case of emergency, book is also better than a bunch of moderns.

What does it come down to? A bunch of duplicates, moderns, and reprinted stuff v. a book I linger over in Gerbers every time I open it.

Good question. I did such a thing last year at the San Diego Comicon. I sold quite a few of my early high grade Flash run and a large chunk of Very high grade bronze HOM and HOS to help pay for the MH copies of Captain Marvel Jr. 4, 7 and 17. I had been waiting for these books to come to market for years and do not regret my decision one bit. I figure I can always replace high grade silver and bronze books if I want to even if they are pricey and a little hard to aquire, but if someone else bought the MH Captain M. Jr's they could stay locked up in a collection forever. I would say do it! By the way, this book looks 10 times better in person. The reds are solid and bright. I don't know why they show up on the bottom lettering with what looks like a white outline.

Ken

cmj4.jpg

At this MOMENT in my life I dont know how I could pull it off. The timing is just off right now. This is all a matter of catching me at a time when my funds are dry.

ahhhhhh yes, the true words of a fellow real estate professional, feeling the effects of the present real estate market downturn..... frown.gif

Showey, Can I borrow that crystal ball of yours ?

I thought real estate professionals used the magic eight ball? (I know many that do!)

I completely agree with the selling of good, BA/SA/CA books for great GA books. My wife jumped my case when I bought some high grade BA and told me to re-focus! I have a few thousand to liquidate myself, I'm just not looking forward to the scanning involved.

Luckily, my grail is much lower in value than the mighty Tec 27 or Action 1, so when I finally get focused on saving and selling, I can actually get one, which is nice to dream about cloud9.gif

At this MOMENT in my life I dont know how I could pull it off. The timing is just off right now. This is all a matter of catching me at a time when my funds are dry.

ahhhhhh yes, the true words of a fellow real estate professional, feeling the effects of the present real estate market downturn..... frown.gif

We are already feeling the effects of the dramatic increases in the cost of living that is due to the explosive effects of high energy cost which in turn have dramtically risen the cost of everything right down to the pencils in my office.No way incomes are keeping pace with it.We are already in the beginning of a recession. Govt reports always lag a recession by 6 months or more. I think a small business can see and feel the effects of a recession before a large corporation can. Its sort of like it taking an ocean liner longer to turn than a canoe.

Another thing.

I think this recent big spike in the cost of gasoline is oils last gasp in this cycle at keeping prices high. They have noticed that there is a big drop off in demand[do to a recession that they created] They are cutting supply like mad to keep prices high

but the drop off in demand so so large that they can only cut so much. Expect a large drop in the price of gasoline this summer. Summer? Why not. Prices rose in winter because it was an artificial increase. It wasnt demand that rose it this time, it was manipulation. Remember Cartels [companies joining together to control pricing] is illegal in the United States. It is Legal in the Middle East.

Another thing.

I think this recent big spike in the cost of gasoline is oils last gasp in this cycle at keeping prices high. They have noticed that there is a big drop off in demand[do to a recession that they created] They are cutting supply like mad to keep prices high

but the drop off in demand so so large that they can only cut so much. Expect a large drop in the price of gasoline this summer. Summer? Why not. Prices rose in winter because it was an artificial increase. It wasnt demand that rose it this time, it was manipulation. Remember Cartels [companies joining together to control pricing] is illegal in the United States. It is Legal in the Middle East.

I hope you are right, but I see gas prices going up again this summer, over $3.00 per gallon I'd wager.