• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you sell/trade for your grail?

63 posts in this topic

hello all...

there is only one grail for me, that would get me to part with my comics...a 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO...'nuff said

rick

Guess I better start looking for one of these then!

ferrari_288_GTO.jpg

How long to you think people can maintain 3 dollars a gallon .70 bucks a fill up. Its not sustainible.I mean there is a point where it will turn. There is no such thing as gas prices going up dramatically and there is no effect in the economy.Eventually there is an effect that causes it to drop significantly . The economic downturn is not due to high gas prices per se. It is due to oil prices causing everthing else in our lives to go up dramatically.Oil has always had its pits and falls. Theres is comming.

High oil prices do have one good effect. It forces us to develope othere forms of energy quicker.The higher it goes, the quicker the day will come when we will no longer need it.Why? Because we have no other alternative.

How long to you think people can maintain 3 dollars a gallon .70 bucks a fill up. Its not sustainible.I mean there is a point where it will turn. There is no such thing as gas prices going up dramatically and there is no effect in the economy.Eventually there is an effect that causes it to drop significantly . The economic downturn is not due to high gas prices per se. It is due to oil prices causing everthing else in our lives to go up dramatically.Oil has always had its pits and falls. Theres is comming.

High oil prices do have one good effect. It forces us to develope othere forms of energy quicker.The higher it goes, the quicker the day will come when we will no longer need it.Why? Because we have no other alternative.

I don't think they care to be honest. They know we have no other alternative, so they can always charge more. They tested the waters in '06 at $3.00 a gallon and it drove record profits. They saw very little price resistance, they have willing accomplices in the government, so it makes for an atmosphere that lends itself quite well for continued price gouging.

I worked for one of the major oil companies for a long time. They based their business model on $18 per barrell. That allowed for a nice profit, anything above that was extra profit. Shows you the amount of monumental greed on their part. I am all for capitalism and profiteering to an extent. $3.00 a gallon hits regular Joe's like us hard in the wallet. The government smiles and applauds the oil companies on their success. Shameful really, but it will continue. I honestly believe it will.

hello all...

there is only one grail for me, that would get me to part with my comics...a 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO...'nuff said

rick

ferrari_288_GTO.jpg

cloud9.gif...only 200 or so were ever made...I passed at the only I shot I have ever had at one, a few years ago...just didn't have the coin to swing it...but, as a "former" ferrari collector/entusiast, that is my grail of grails!

rick

I never questioned that they dont care as that is human nature. Only 1 thing drops prices. DEMAND !

Agreed, but how do you lower demand??? Are people going to walk to work? Take public transportation? That will only drive up the prices of that, as they burn fuel too.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't have a grail per se and would not part with items from my collection for one anyway.

You see, I prefer a banquet of books over something singularly big...

STEVE

Action1kid, completely off topic, but I couldn't agree with you more. As a self employed small-mid sized biz owner, I can tell you first hand this economy has slowed immensely, more than people realize. On top of that, Joe Consumer's personal monthly nut has risen slowly and steadily and the full effects have not been translated into the economy.... yet. But it is inevitable. And I agree on gas. Another 20-30 cents up and then look out below. If Bernake waits to lower rates until next year, he's late to the party which would not shock anyone.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, there are a few "bigger" books in my collection that I would be more than willing to trade or trade plus $$$ for "the right books". My problem has always been how do you go about it? To trade with a dealer, you'll never get an apple to apple trade. You need to go to a private collector that wants the book. But again, it's tough or at least been tough for me to find and contact the collectors that would be interested in doing something. Let's face it, not all books are available for money only. Sometimes, you need to dangle a carrot of another hard to find book to make it available. I'd love to see a GA trading thread because that's a part of the hobby that I think has been somewhat lost. 893blahblah.gif

I may be in the minority here, but I don't have a grail per se and would not part with items from my collection for one anyway.

STEVE

I tend to agree with you here. I've often wondered if I could liquidate everything I have in a big trade for one book, but I just can't see one book being as cool as several. The stipulation here is GA for GA. I'd happily let some BA stuff go for a cool GA book if I needed the $$, but I also have to consider the investment potential of cheaper HG books (BA) vs lower grade GA stuff.

If these same peolle start spending a buck for coffee instead of 3.50 or 4.50 they'll find plenty of money for gas. Everybody wastes money on little luxuries nowadays. I think high gas/oil prices are staying high for a long long time. We had it pretty cheap for a long long time too.

You are going to be forced [ the only way its works by the way] to think more economically]. My business is down alot this year. I am using much less gasoline for shipments..This is how the process starts to hurt demand. It starts commericially where the real drop off in demand starts. People get laid off and it filters down to retail customers. No job or less of a job, less driving etc.

You lower demand by raising prices dramatically.

and I agree, the sustained higher energy prices will (and have already) spurred investment in all kinds of other energy sources. Its a bout time! But if prices drop again? the activity will stop again, like in the 80s

Action1kid, completely off topic, but I couldn't agree with you more. As a self employed small-mid sized biz owner, I can tell you first hand this economy has slowed immensely, more than people realize. On top of that, Joe Consumer's personal monthly nut has risen slowly and steadily and the full effects have not been translated into the economy.... yet. But it is inevitable. And I agree on gas. Another 20-30 cents up and then look out below. If Bernake waits to lower rates until next year, he's late to the party which would not shock anyone.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, there are a few "bigger" books in my collection that I would be more than willing to trade or trade plus $$$ for "the right books". My problem has always been how do you go about it? To trade with a dealer, you'll never get an apple to apple trade. You need to go to a private collector that wants the book. But again, it's tough or at least been tough for me to find and contact the collectors that would be interested in doing something. Let's face it, not all books are available for money only. Sometimes, you need to dangle a carrot of another hard to find book to make it available. I'd love to see a GA trading thread because that's a part of the hobby that I think has been somewhat lost. 893blahblah.gif

Trading is still alive and well in the golden age sector. I've made quite a few trades with boardies this past year.

hello all...

rick

ferrari_288_GTO.jpg

cloud9.gif...only 200 or so were ever made...I passed at the only I shot I have ever had at one, a few years ago...just didn't have the coin to swing it...but, as a "former" ferrari collector/entusiast, that is my grail of grails!

rick

I'm not a car enthusiast but I am interested in what makes this car special to you. Can you explain in laymen's terms?

STEVE

But Steve they aren't mutually exclusive. This is my banquet, and I will keep adding to it.

greateight.jpg

And I will always collect my esoteric stuff too. cloud9.gif

... but I just can't see one book being as cool as several

Right - having representative examples from Timely, Centaur, DC, Fox, Fiction House, Quality, MLJ, Fawcett, EC, etc. is more important to me.

There's no doubt a lot of prestige in owning a nice copy (heck, any copy) of Action 1, 'Tec 27, Marvel 1, Supe 1, All-American 16, but....uh, what was I going to say?

STEVE