• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help, I think I'm being screwed!

49 posts in this topic

I dare say that you've already cost him a few grand in business from this thread....email him a copy of it and see if he replies. Money is sacred to these jerks.

I think this is the best idea so far, at least as a next step. I can tell you from personal experience that just the whiff of negative publicity can cause otherwise intractable buttheads to change their tune quickly... I once convinced a mechanic who looked and acted like he wouldn't loan his mom a dime for dinner to cut me a check for $400 after threatening him with a couple of calls to local news media about his shady practices.

Just so I've got this straight:

Matt Wilson = questionable, possibly criminal, resto business

Matt Nelson = solid, reliable, upstanding resto business

I'm sure you're right about my small order being pushed off in favor of other stuff.

You're shorting yourself, Rahl. FF#1 & 5 is not a "small order". Definately get in touch w/ a lawyer and send something to Matt Wilson immediately. Also, phone him and let him know you are doing this.

You should also try and get a discount. It's understandable that he may fall behind his original estimate. But, he at least owes you the courtesy of a return phone call letting you know the status. I'd be angry as well. I hope it works out for you.

What was the work you were getting on the books? Was it extensive resto? What were the books conditions prior to sending them? (sorry if you've already posted this in the Resto thread...I haven't been there in a few days....)

Chris

After this experience I suggest you send your stuff to Susan. Extremely quick turnaround and answers all her email quickly. Personally, I have experience with most of the 'experts' in the field and will never use anyone else again. She is the best in my opinion.

After this experience I suggest you send your stuff to Susan. Extremely quick turnaround and answers all her email quickly. Personally, I have experience with most of the 'experts' in the field and will never use anyone else again. She is the best in my opinion.

Who would you recommend for removing minor color touch on a key Marvel SA book?

>

> what I'm really pissedd about is that he won't answer my

> emails and messages.

>

That is a bad sign, as it indicates bad faith.

Follow my advice above...it won't cost you

any more than $5.00 and may get some

quick results.

You may put something in the letter along

the lines that his breaking off communications

with you is an indication of bad faith and

possible fraud.

I heard Susan can take a long time, up a year at one point. Is this no longer the case?

In the old days Susan could get really backlogged whenever a Sotheby auction was being planned. She's get lots of material for the Sotheby auctions and during those times, the time to get books back could be a wait. But she would NEVER rush through something just to get it out. When you are alone with maybe one assistant, and you take pains to do a good job, it is no wonder that there can be a considerable delay.

Now it seems Susan is just taking on small jobs. Mor epower to her though! She truly has appreciation and love for comic books.

..but how do you know that Matt Wilson and Matt Nelson aren't the same person?!?! One being the secret identity or evil twin of the other!! There sure are alot of the same letters in those two names. Subliminal pseudonyms or coincidence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus, has anyone here ever seen the two of them together at the same time in the same place? 893whatthe.gif

AH-HAAAAA!!! 27_laughing.gif

..but how do you know that Matt Wilson and Matt Nelson aren't the same person?!?! One being the secret identity or evil twin of the other!! There sure are alot of the same letters in those two names. Subliminal pseudonyms or coincidence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus, has anyone here ever seen the two of them together at the same time in the same place? 893whatthe.gif

AH-HAAAAA!!! 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Too many false accusations are running RAMPANT on these forums!

I'm sure you're right about my small order being pushed off in favor of other stuff.

You're shorting yourself, Rahl. FF#1 & 5 is not a "small order". Definately get in touch w/ a lawyer and send something to Matt Wilson immediately. Also, phone him and let him know you are doing this.

You should also try and get a discount. It's understandable that he may fall behind his original estimate. But, he at least owes you the courtesy of a return phone call letting you know the status. I'd be angry as well. I hope it works out for you.

What was the work you were getting on the books? Was it extensive resto? What were the books conditions prior to sending them? (sorry if you've already posted this in the Resto thread...I haven't been there in a few days....)

Chris

The work on the #1 would be extensive. It was in Good condition, needed a couple of tears sealed, right edge chips filled and color touch. The #5 was probably moderate. It was in Fine+ or so but already had some amateur color touch on the cover. It didn't need much work but probably enough to put it out of minor and into moderate.

Well there has been a resolution to my problem. I PMd sborock since he knows Matt Wilson. Steve called Matt and left him a message regarding my problem. I got a call from Matt on Friday. The books were done, and I just received them today. Matt ended up not charging me for the work on the FF 5 which was $150. His reason for not contacting me was that he had been really busy with another order. Of course that doesn't explain why it took a phone call from Steve before he did contact me but at least everything was worked out without resorting to legal proceedings. He did at least make up for it by not charging for the #5. Props to Steve for helping me out. 893applaud-thumb.gif

He did alright work. The #1 was pretty beat up so he didn't have much to work with and it looks pretty good. The #5 was already in decent shape, about a Fine so I thought it would look better than it does. Not sure why he didn't touch up the bottom right corner crease and the two spine stress marks on the Dr. Doom talking bubble. Overall I'm pretty happy with how they look. Don't have before scans but I'll post what they look like now.

ff5.jpg

ff1.jpg

His reason for not contacting me was that he had been really busy with another order.

That's just bad business. It would take five minutes to send you a bill and another five to pack your books and send them off. Or hell, 30 seconds to reply to an e-mail saying "I'm super busy right now, I'll call you at the end of the week."