• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in Europe?

10 posts in this topic

I am heading over to Europe for a couple of weeks and wanted to know if it's even worth my time finding a comic shop in Munich, Venice or Milan. Girlfriend goes designer shoe shopping, I go comic shopping. Should I waste my time or go take in a soccer match?

Hehehe. Can you read Italian? If so, just find a big newstand. Try to pick up "I Grandi Maestri Disney" (The Great Disney Masters) or "Zio Paperone" (Uncle Scrooge) titles. Both have a nice mix of high quality Barks reprints and reprints of original Italian stories. Some of the Italian Scrooge stories from the 1950s were surprisingly good!

..but, only if you read Italian. Otherwise, you are pretty much wasting your time, I would think. (See if you can find me a Topolino #1 wink.gif )

Dan

I was in Italy last year. I only saw one place in Rome that had comics and graphic novels. It was a newsstand that had some new issues and a couple of old tattered back issues. Nothing in high grade. All were in english and from the mid to late 80's.

IMO you are in Italy with your girlfriend-- forget about comics. 893whatthe.gifDrink lots of wine & coffee, and enjoy the time with her in a really cool country! Oh, and be prepared to pay for using a public bathroom (which is literally a whole in the ground). wink.gif

By all means take in a soccer match...

Venetia isn't really worth the effort, but both AC Milan and Inter Milan have incredible teams... AC Milan is one of the top 5 in the world and was THE dominant soccer team in the early 90's.... People go nuts in the stands and mania is all around, you'll get cold chills when a 60.000 strong crowd starts singing terrace songs to bolster their team's confidence in San Siro stadium.

You might have to scalp tickets if you plan to buy them on the night itself

Bayern Munich is a decent enough team as well, but boring as hell smile.gif

Comics can be found in both Munich and Milan, but English language books are rare. Germany has two fairly large publishers who bring out a lot of translated Marvel and DC, mostly omnibus albums and I also believe they have a few smaller firms publishing Image and Dark Horse titles.

As a few other board members said, Italy has lots and lots of (Italian language) Duck books, even a few Disney magazines that come bundled with a free toy !!! (no, Greggy not THAT kind of toy)

Italy also offers a large scope of 'adult' comics, mostly in pocketbook format so it can be read in discrete places smile.gif

By all means take in a soccer match...

Venetia isn't really worth the effort, but both AC Milan and Inter Milan have incredible teams...

The Serie A season doesn't kick off until August 31st, though, so unless you're in Milan then or later, you're SOL.

Was in Philly on Monday night to see the despised Manchester United beat my 2nd favorite club, F.C. Barcelona. To make matters worse, we got jacked by some scalper who sold us some counterfeit tickets and were out $120 on top of the money for the real tickets. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal Gene