• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'll probably be back posting photos sometime this weekend (possibly late Sunday). Lots of comics, pulps, and maybe a couple of rare Jerry Siegel items.

Such as one of those pesky releases he signed, much to his regret.

frown.gif

I was happy to read, in Men of Tomorrow, that Bob Kane implied he was underage when he signed his original Batman contract. This gave him leverage regarding ownership. I wish Siegel and Shuster had learned a few tricks from Kane. Just thinking out loud while I anxiously wait for the next round of pix. laugh.gif

I'll probably be back posting photos sometime this weekend (possibly late Sunday). Lots of comics, pulps, and maybe a couple of rare Jerry Siegel items.

Such as one of those pesky releases he signed, much to his regret.

frown.gif

Tec 27? 893crossfingers-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

Yea i'm keeping my toes and fingers crossed as well 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was happy to read, in Men of Tomorrow, that Bob Kane implied he was underage when he signed his original Batman contract. This gave him leverage regarding ownership. I wish Siegel and Shuster had learned a few tricks from Kane. Just thinking out loud while I anxiously wait for the next round of pix. laugh.gif

I would not put very much stock in most anything Bob Kane wrote regarding Batman. He was also very quick to state he drew all that stuff as well.

His father compiled that original contract in 1939 - leaving out Bill Finger, whom Kane never shared the proceeds with, only acknowledging Finger's close up & personal involvement with Batman's character origins when Kane was close to death's door and some 25 years after Finger died, broke & somewhat bitter.

Regarding Siegel & Shuster, even though they did sign away rights to something that had been trying unsuccessfully to get published for some 5 long years, once the Batman contract was evolved at National Periodicals, Irwin Donenfeld went to great lengths to convince me that S&S were well taken care of from 1939 thru 1948, when the 10 year contract was up

That if S&S had never sued to get 100% control, they would have had the same Bob Kane deal of a percentage of the profits for life

As it was, National paid S&S some half a million dollars each during that 10 years

Plus S&S got all the money from McClure Syndicate for the Superman newspaper strip - National got zero from McClure

Plus S&S got all the dough from the Fleischer cartoons

It wasn't S&S who ponied up the front money to get those first Action Comics published before any one knew why the book was selling

I would not put very much stock in most anything Bob Kane wrote regarding Batman. He was also very quick to state he drew all that stuff as well.

His father compiled that original contract in 1939 - leaving out Bill Finger, whom Kane never shared the proceeds with, only acknowledging Finger's close up & personal involvement with Batman's character origins when Kane was close to death's door and some 25 years after Finger died, broke & somewhat bitter.

Regarding Siegel & Shuster, even though they did sign away rights to something that had been trying unsuccessfully to get published for some 5 long years, once the Batman contract was evolved at National Periodicals, Irwin Donenfeld went to great lengths to convince me that S&S were well taken care of from 1939 thru 1948, when the 10 year contract was up

That if S&S had never sued to get 100% control, they would have had the same Bob Kane deal of a percentage of the profits for life

As it was, National paid S&S some half a million dollars each during that 10 years

Plus S&S got all the money from McClure Syndicate for the Superman newspaper strip - National got zero from McClure

It wasn't S&S who ponied up the front money to get those first Action Comics published before any one knew why the book was selling

From everything I've read, and heard over the years it seems quite evident that Finger, got exactly that, "THE FINGER" considering he co-created one of the most marketed and well liked super heroes ever. Its a shame! frown.gif

From everything I've read, and heard over the years it seems quite evident that Finger, got exactly that, "THE FINGER" considering he co-created one of the most marketed and well liked super heroes ever. Its a shame! frown.gif

That's one perspective. The other is no one held a gun to his head and made him do what he did. Also, from what I know, talking to someone who was there at the time, Finger was paid a lot of money by Kane. If he died broke, he had only himself to blame.

thats a little harsh, doncha think? And Finger may have even agreed with you. We all have to sleep in the bed we have made... but he deserved more. Lots of people go thru life hoping and expecting they will be treated fairly. And arent. But I think they often find comfort in knowing they werent the ahole doing the screwwing..

So they made millions instead of billions?

Still feels like the creative small guys got the short end.

the only one coming out of DC who won big in the end was the one who lived to be 100 years old: Jack Liebowitz

every one else got screwed, ultimately

thats a little harsh, doncha think? And Finger may have even agreed with you. We all have to sleep in the bed we have made... but he deserved more. Lots of people go thru life hoping and expecting they will be treated fairly. And arent. But I think they often find comfort in knowing they werent the ahole doing the screwwing..

Not really. If I paid you the 1930's equivalent of a six figure salary for a number of years and you died broke, how is that my fault? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's one perspective. The other is no one held a gun to his head and made him do what he did. Also, from what I know, talking to someone who was there at the time, Finger was paid a lot of money by Kane. If he died broke, he had only himself to blame.

No one really knows exactly how he was treated..Good or Bad...but the time dictated a broad based unequality between creators and publishers. Some faired well, and others didn't. I don't have enough details or facts to argue one way or the other at least intelligently, but the figurtive Gun to the Head was in many times relevant during the 30's as we were not completely out of the depression. Do to that I believe many didn't take a risk or rock the boat in fears of having no income and forcing themselves and families into the street. He may have been paid very well for the time period, but just a few years later the income levels skyrocketed and I would imagine the depression dollar didn't go as far. Of course he might have made enough to last a life time and blew it all. Anyway, its all just speculation as we/I was not there and can't possibly know the actuall details of the transactions.

Paul

bumpit.gif

thumbsup2.gifpopcorn.gif

He's probably scanning books as we speak! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Funny you should say that...

Coming up later tonight are a few covers in the spirit of Easter.

Easter with Mother Goose

Fairy Tale Parade

Kewpies

and...any suggestions? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

bumpit.gif

thumbsup2.gifpopcorn.gif

Easter with Mother Goose

Fairy Tale Parade

Kewpies

893applaud-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

[quote

[...]

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 32 perhaps?

Anyway, looking forward to whatever you decide to post!

bumpit.gif

thumbsup2.gifpopcorn.gif

Easter with Mother Goose

Fairy Tale Parade

Kewpies

Tec 27 came out around Easter.... angel.gif