• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

AmazingMysteryFunniesV2n7GA.jpg

Thanks bang-zoom! I love seeing these rare, esoteric titles in such incredible condition. Not to say one bad word about Action 1, but personally I am _so_ thankful you don't have one...

If I recall correctly, he has never said he didn't have an Action 1, just that there wasn't one in the collection that was rescued from the garbage. So, who knows 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I love seeing whatever he posts anyway though - especially all these great primary color early beauts smile.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

So cool those books came from DC. As Donut said, that's a pretty sketchy part of town these days.

Later this evening I'll post a photo of the store as it looked in 1988. Also a photo of the home of the comic book's original owner.

This is the best thread in a looooong time, maybe ever! Just insane!

Thanks for sharing BZ.

Any chance you could scan a back cover of one of the books with the store stamp? confused-smiley-013.gif

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

That is so white it's not even funny.

Ze-

Arrow1GA.jpg" width="350px

cloud9.gif

seriously.

i'm about out of cloud 9's for this thread, but wait until that Hit 1 pops up and i might change my mind 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

whew. Caught up.

BZ, if I may say, seeing those Walt Kelly Fantasy/Easter books was a sight to behold. Truly stunning.

I got butterflies, just watching the screen and noting the rich colors and details.

Thank you.

Here's a photo of the Campbell Brothers store (actually just the empty building) as it looked in 1988. Many of the comic books in the incredible collection I purchased in 1973 had the markings (store stamp on the back cover or penciled letters on the front cover) that indicated that the comics had been purchased at this establishment. The collection included Detective 27, Superman 1, and hundreds of additional great early Golden Age issues.

Looking at the covers of the seven photos I posted last night, I can readily identify that at least five of them were bought at Campbell Bros. The other two may have purchased there too, but I'm just relying on the penciled store markings on the front cover.

For a collector, like myself, its mind-blowing to think back to an earlier time and imagine all the fantastic comics that were for sale in that store. Anyone walking in those doors could have purchased as many copies of Action # 1 as they had dimes.

Looking at the photo now, I kinda wish I had taken that screen door off the hinges. It looks old to me. It probably was the same door that countless kids walked through in the 1930's and 40's to buy their comics. At least I like to think that's true.

I could have hung the door at the entrance of my "comic room." CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

Now that is one amazing piece of architecture.

Forget the door, you got most of what was inside once the kids passed through it. One of a kind story BZ, neat to see stuff like this come full circle.

But still how cool would it have been to have that door. Oh well.

Ze-

AmazingMysteryFunniesV2n7GA.jpg

BZ, just a stunning copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now I know what the colors are REALLY supposed to look like on my copy!

Beautiful copy BZ.

thumbsup2.gif

Does this cover remind anyone of Rock'em Sock'em robots? Like on the new Dodge truck commercials.

Sweet book, I like it alot...

Here's a photo of the Campbell Brothers store (actually just the empty building) as it looked in 1988. Many of the comic books in the incredible collection I purchased in 1973 had the markings (store stamp on the back cover or penciled letters on the front cover) that indicated that the comics had been purchased at this establishment. The collection included Detective 27, Superman 1, and hundreds of additional great early Golden Age issues.

Looking at the covers of the seven photos I posted last night, I can readily identify that at least five of them were bought at Campbell Bros. The other two may have purchased there too, but I'm just relying on the penciled store markings on the front cover.

For a collector, like myself, its mind-blowing to think back to an earlier time and imagine all the fantastic comics that were for sale in that store. Anyone walking in those doors could have purchased as many copies of Action # 1 as they had dimes.

Looking at the photo now, I kinda wish I had taken that screen door off the hinges. It looks old to me. It probably was the same door that countless kids walked through in the 1930's and 40's to buy their comics. At least I like to think that's true.

I could have hung the door at the entrance of my "comic room." CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

Makes me want to buy that building move to DC, renovate and move into the top section and open a comic shop down below.

Very cool photo, thank you for sharing.

Paul

Makes me want to buy that building move to DC, renovate and move into the top section and open a comic shop down below.

Very cool photo, thank you for sharing.

Paul

That would actually be a really cool idea, to open a shop in a building where you know they sold Action #1, Tec #27, etc. on the newsstand.