• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

CampbellBrosComic2GA.jpg

Bang,

If this collection recieves Pedigree status some day ( which it should ), I couldn't imagine a cooler name than "Campbell Bros." ........here are some examples of how it would sound in various scentences:

Campbell Bros. Pedigree

Campbell Bros. Copy

VF+ Campbell Bros. Copy with white pages....

from the Campbell Bros. collection

featuring Mile High's, Campbell Brothers and Bethlehem Pedigrees

etc. etc. etc.

Good stuff !!!!!

Steve

Arrow1GA.jpg

gotta get me one of these!

nice BZ, thanks for posting

rick

Dang, poor guy had his hand shot with an arrow. That would scare me soo much if he just suddenly came in with a bow and arrow and his medieval costume.

Hey, no one's commented that it's a 'Green Arrow' he's shooting?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I've been away from the boards for most of the last couple of weeks and this is the first thread I had to start catching up on. I love the group shot of the Feature Books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to put together a Feature Book/Large Feature/Single Series run -- tough to do, but a lot of fun. With all those covers with bright primary colors it would make for quite the group shot I would think.

Here's a photo of the Campbell Brothers store (actually just the empty building) as it looked in 1988. Many of the comic books in the incredible collection I purchased in 1973 had the markings (store stamp on the back cover or penciled letters on the front cover) that indicated that the comics had been purchased at this establishment. The collection included Detective 27, Superman 1, and hundreds of additional great early Golden Age issues.

Looking at the covers of the seven photos I posted last night, I can readily identify that at least five of them were bought at Campbell Bros. The other two may have purchased there too, but I'm just relying on the penciled store markings on the front cover.

For a collector, like myself, its mind-blowing to think back to an earlier time and imagine all the fantastic comics that were for sale in that store. Anyone walking in those doors could have purchased as many copies of Action # 1 as they had dimes.

Looking at the photo now, I kinda wish I had taken that screen door off the hinges. It looks old to me. It probably was the same door that countless kids walked through in the 1930's and 40's to buy their comics. At least I like to think that's true.

I could have hung the door at the entrance of my "comic room." CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

Makes me want to buy that building move to DC, renovate and move into the top section and open a comic shop down below.

Very cool photo, thank you for sharing.

Paul

As one who lives near and works in DC, oh no you don't!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Maybe when those books were bought in the late 30s, early 40s, but definitely not now!! Although the area is getting better. gossip.gif

This is a 1988 photograph of the home of the boy who was the original owner of all the Campbell Bros comics.

I haven't been back to that neighborhood in many years so I don't know what it looks like now. It was undergoing redevelopment back then. Vacant properties in various states of disrepair were next to houses that had undergone renovation and were selling for a small fortune.

As you can see, the boys house had been refurbished and was, when I saw it, a doctor's office. I had the opportunity to take a look inside the house after office hours and was given a tour of the entire building. The boy's bedroom was the middle room on the second floor (I think).

I wonder what was the behind-the-scenes story regarding his collection being thrown out 1972? Did he do that? Was his mother in declining health and in the process of moving to a small apartment? Did she bundle the comics up and put them out with the trash?

Was the boy still alive or had he died years earlier?

So many questions; so few answers.

WTGHouseGA.jpg

I wonder what was the behind-the-scenes story regarding his collection being thrown out 1972? Did he do that? Was his mother in declining health and in the process of moving to a small apartment? Did she bundle the comics up and put them out with the trash?

Was the boy, William, still alive or had he died years earlier?

WTGHouseGA.jpg

BZ;

Very interesting as it links back to the original owner of this collection.

Have you ever attempted to get in contact with this William to try to find the answers to some of your questions? This might be a very worthwhile task similar to how Jon Berk was able to finally track down Lamont Larson and bring him and his family down to the SD Con a couple of years ago. Seems like Lamont and the family was very appreciative of everything as he was treated like a star. thumbsup2.gif

Just food for thought, I guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is a 1988 photograph of the home of the boy who was the original owner of all the Campbell Bros comics.

I haven't been back to that neighborhood in many years so I don't know what it looks like now. It was undergoing redevelopment back then. Vacant properties in various states of disrepair were next to houses that had undergone renovation and were selling for a small fortune.

As you can see, the boys house had been refurbished and was, when I saw it, a doctor's office. I had the opportunity to take a look inside the house after office hours and was given a tour of the entire building. The boy's bedroom was the middle room on the second floor (I think).

Was the boy, William, still alive or had he died years earlier?

If you send me the boy's full name (don't remember if you posted it earlier), I may be able to determine if he is still alive, or when he died. You can PM this info.

What was the address of the house again?

Edited by esquirecomics