• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

[

I've always kept my collection in a darkened room in the lower level of the house where the temperature year round is in the 60's. Am I overlooking something? I wonder because a large part of my collection I've had for over 30 years and it seems to be doing OK thus far.

and I would say its working great. I have to say just one thing, rebagging these gems, at least the real high dollar ones, my just keep them from getting a crease or ding which at time of sale could be 30K or even more. Ultimately its up to you, and as I said, your collection is amazing and perserved very well.

paul

How extensive is your Platinum Age collection?

Some months ago, everyone would have asked whether you had showcase4's current (at the time) grail of grails, Obadiah Oldbuck! (Do you?)

Thanks,

Jack

I have quite a few of the Cupples & Leon and Frederick Stokes type books.

No, I don't own a copy of Obadiah Oldbuck. yeahok.gif

Would one or more of you storage experts please comment on how the CGC holder stacks up to these recommended mylar/mylite storage methods. In other words, from a storage conservation standpoint, is there any reason to crack the CGC slab and reholder the book in a mylar and mylite?

Also, is a slabbed book sealed in a 100% air-tight sleeve inside the outer CGC holder? As you can tell from these questions, I haven't cracked any of my slabs yet.

Peter,

Several questions/issues here.

1) Archival quality of the CGC slab and inner well. While Barex 210 (the material used for the CGC inner well) is not listed by the Library of Congress as one of the five "approved" plastics for storage of paper artifacts, that is because it has not been tested by the LoC. I confirmed this with Carrie Bayer of the Preservation Directorate of the Library of Congress a few years ago. Barex is desirable for its inertness and chemical stability (and resistance to chemicals), and is also an excellent oxygen and moisture barrier. Barex 210 also meets all of the criteria that Ms. Beyer identified as the important elements of a storage film approved by the LoC - inertness, chemical resistance, and not being heavily plasticized. There are also no UV inhibitors added to the inner well, which is good from the LoC's perspective, because added UV inhibitors can leech out of the plastic into the item being stored.

2) Safety of a book stored in the CGC inner well from an "archival" perspective. Even if a storage film is an approved plastic, you need to have an alkaline reserve inside of any enclosure if you are going to seal an unbuffered paper artifact inside of it. CGC uses Microchamber paper, which is designed to act as an alkaline reserve within an enclosure such as the CGC holder.

3) Airtight/not airtight? The CGC slab is not airtight. The ultrasonic seal will prevent ready exchange of "new" air in and out of the slab, but the Barex inner well is not a 100% barrier to oxygen or other gases. But it does the job as well as or better than any other plastic used for storage of comics.

4) Is there any reason to crack the slab and store the comic in Mylar? Other than "so you can read it," there are only two reasons I can think of - the first is "SCS" (shaken comic syndrome). This refers to the slab damage that can occur when a comic bangs against the inner walls of the inner well and causes blunting of the comic's edges and corners. frown.gif The other is to replace the Microchamber paper when it loses efficacy. CGC suggests reholdering every 7 years. The literature from the manufacturer of Microchamber paper suggests that it will actually remain effective for quite a bit longer than that. Eventually, the alkaline reserve in the Microchamber paper will give out and it will need to be replaced. I suspect that the length of time that a piece of Microchamber will retain efficacy depends upon the acidity of the book being stored inside the slab with it, so pinning down its efficacy to a given number of years is not something that you can just spit out as an exact number as to all books.

A Full Back, which has a lot more alkaline material in it than Microchamber paper, will probably last longer. (It is thicker, and 3% of it is pure calcium carbonate.) But if your comics are stored in proper conditions (cool, dry, mostly dark, and stable environment) and started out with good paper quality, the book should be fine in the slab for many years.

Wow BZ, just amazing, both issues. Just purchased a 21, and 31 of MMC from a fellow boardie, can't wait to have in my hands. They are not anywhere close to these beauties, but I am happy to have them. Two great cover examples of the run. Dang, your books are pretty.....I would be hard pressed to add or recommend anyother storage then you currently use as it is def. working.

Paul

Would one or more of you storage experts please comment on how the CGC holder stacks up to these recommended mylar/mylite storage methods. In other words, from a storage conservation standpoint, is there any reason to crack the CGC slab and reholder the book in a mylar and mylite?

Also, is a slabbed book sealed in a 100% air-tight sleeve inside the outer CGC holder? As you can tell from these questions, I haven't cracked any of my slabs yet.

Peter,

Several questions/issues here.

1) Archival quality of the CGC slab and inner well. While Barex 210 (the material used for the CGC inner well) is not listed by the Library of Congress as one of the five "approved" plastics for storage of paper artifacts, that is because it has not been tested by the LoC. I confirmed this with Carrie Bayer of the Preservation Directorate of the Library of Congress a few years ago. Barex is desirable for its inertness and chemical stability (and resistance to chemicals), and is also an excellent oxygen and moisture barrier. Barex 210 also meets all of the criteria that Ms. Beyer identified as the important elements of a storage film approved by the LoC - inertness, chemical resistance, and not being heavily plasticized. There are also no UV inhibitors added to the inner well, which is good from the LoC's perspective, because added UV inhibitors can leech out of the plastic into the item being stored.

2) Safety of a book stored in the CGC inner well from an "archival" perspective. Even if a storage film is an approved plastic, you need to have an alkaline reserve inside of any enclosure if you are going to seal an unbuffered paper artifact inside of it. CGC uses Microchamber paper, which is designed to act as an alkaline reserve within an enclosure such as the CGC holder.

3) Airtight/not airtight? The CGC slab is not airtight. The ultrasonic seal will prevent ready exchange of "new" air in and out of the slab, but the Barex inner well is not a 100% barrier to oxygen or other gases. But it does the job as well as or better than any other plastic used for storage of comics.

4) Is there any reason to crack the slab and store the comic in Mylar? Other than "so you can read it," there are only two reasons I can think of - the first is "SCS" (shaken comic syndrome). This refers to the slab damage that can occur when a comic bangs against the inner walls of the inner well and causes blunting of the comic's edges and corners. frown.gif The other is to replace the Microchamber paper when it loses efficacy. CGC suggests reholdering every 7 years. The literature from the manufacturer of Microchamber paper suggests that it will actually remain effective for quite a bit longer than that. Eventually, the alkaline reserve in the Microchamber paper will give out and it will need to be replaced. I suspect that the length of time that a piece of Microchamber will retain efficacy depends upon the acidity of the book being stored inside the slab with it, so pinning down its efficacy to a given number of years is not something that you can just spit out as an exact number as to all books.

A Full Back, which has a lot more alkaline material in it than Microchamber paper, will probably last longer. (It is thicker, and 3% of it is pure calcium carbonate.) But if your comics are stored in proper conditions (cool, dry, mostly dark, and stable environment) and started out with good paper quality, the book should be fine in the slab for many years.

Scott,

That is just about the most informative post that I have read yet. Thank you!

Edited by MrBedrock

What I do for my best books is I take a Golden Age size Full Back and place the Full Back and the comic book upside down into a Golden Age size Mylite2. Then I fold the flap over and crease it with my finger, then I slide that entire package into an open-top Super Golden Age size (the next size up from Golden Age) 4 mil Archive mylar sleeve, so that the folded flap of the Mylite2 is at the bottom and the book is facing upright in the Archive. That way, I get maximum protection from the two mylar sleeves, and the alkaline reserve is inside the inner sleeve to buffer against acid hydrolysis occuring within the inner mylar. I will also slide three sheets of Microchamber paper (which www.comicsupply.com also sells) into the book, one each inside the front and back cover, and one at the centerfold.

With the exception of the microchamber paper at the centerfold, that is the EXACT same method I used with Centaurman's books (he asked me to help him organize his collection), even down to the sizes used. The books end up well protected, in a fairly inert environment, and looking great. I liked the way the looked so much that I switched some of my own golden age stuff into the same package.

I wonder how much of all the advice that has been recommended would be wise for me to follow and how much is just for the individual collector's peace of mind?

I can see how Mylar and backing boards are good. The Mylar offers protection and shows off the comic nicely and the backing board aids in keeping the comic flat and prevent warping; but do most of you think it is necessary to use micro chamber paper?

I've always kept my collection in a darkened room in the lower level of the house where the temperature year round is in the 60's. Am I overlooking something? I wonder because a large part of my collection I've had for over 30 years and it seems to be doing OK thus far.

BZ, my 2 cents.

You certainly have a system that seems to be working for you. Your books are in fabulous condition considering their age. Probably from lack of handling more then anything else.

But considering the quality, and value of the books I would strongly suggest you invest the time and money to make sure they have as great a chance to remain as they are, 30 years from now.

I think buffered boards and micro chamber paper could only help, even if they dont end up doing all that much. Every little bit helps in preserving a collection like yours.

To err on the side of caution would not be considered overkill. I would like to see those incredibly deep colors stay as bright as possible for years to come.

Ze-

What I do for my best books is I take a Golden Age size Full Back and place the Full Back and the comic book upside down into a Golden Age size Mylite2. Then I fold the flap over and crease it with my finger, then I slide that entire package into an open-top Super Golden Age size (the next size up from Golden Age) 4 mil Archive mylar sleeve, so that the folded flap of the Mylite2 is at the bottom and the book is facing upright in the Archive. That way, I get maximum protection from the two mylar sleeves, and the alkaline reserve is inside the inner sleeve to buffer against acid hydrolysis occuring within the inner mylar. I will also slide three sheets of Microchamber paper (which www.comicsupply.com also sells) into the book, one each inside the front and back cover, and one at the centerfold.

With the exception of the microchamber paper at the centerfold, that is the EXACT same method I used with Centaurman's books (he asked me to help him organize his collection), even down to the sizes used. The books end up well protected, in a fairly inert environment, and looking great. I liked the way the looked so much that I switched some of my own golden age stuff into the same package.

I wonder how much of all the advice that has been recommended would be wise for me to follow and how much is just for the individual collector's peace of mind?

I can see how Mylar and backing boards are good. The Mylar offers protection and shows off the comic nicely and the backing board aids in keeping the comic flat and prevent warping; but do most of you think it is necessary to use micro chamber paper?

Microchamber paper is not a necessity. It is just a nice thing to have to help preserve the paper even moreso than the Full Back and Mylar will, since it is designed to absorb offgassing and acids from the paper in the book itself. But a stable environment that is cool, dry, and dark will make a bigger difference than a few sheets of Microchamber paper will.

I should probably add to this the fact that where Microchamber paper does make a difference is in storage locations where there is a higher level of atmospheric pollutants, such as sulphur dioxide. If you live in or near an urban area with a lot of cars and people and/or industry, the Microchamber paper will help in that regard. Atmospheric pollution can really impact paper quality over time.