• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Oh, and I would just like to say that I have been waiting patiently like FOREVER for you to post either a Detective 1, Detective 27, or Superman 1. poke2.gif

Not that I don't love every single one of the books you've posted to date.

Especially the Walt Kelly stuff. cloud9.gif

What I do for my best books is I take a Golden Age size Full Back and place the Full Back and the comic book upside down into a Golden Age size Mylite2. Then I fold the flap over and crease it with my finger, then I slide that entire package into an open-top Super Golden Age size (the next size up from Golden Age) 4 mil Archive mylar sleeve, so that the folded flap of the Mylite2 is at the bottom and the book is facing upright in the Archive. That way, I get maximum protection from the two mylar sleeves, and the alkaline reserve is inside the inner sleeve to buffer against acid hydrolysis occuring within the inner mylar. I will also slide three sheets of Microchamber paper (which www.comicsupply.com also sells) into the book, one each inside the front and back cover, and one at the centerfold.

With the exception of the microchamber paper at the centerfold, that is the EXACT same method I used with Centaurman's books (he asked me to help him organize his collection), even down to the sizes used. The books end up well protected, in a fairly inert environment, and looking great. I liked the way the looked so much that I switched some of my own golden age stuff into the same package.

I wonder how much of all the advice that has been recommended would be wise for me to follow and how much is just for the individual collector's peace of mind?

I can see how Mylar and backing boards are good. The Mylar offers protection and shows off the comic nicely and the backing board aids in keeping the comic flat and prevent warping; but do most of you think it is necessary to use micro chamber paper?

I've always kept my collection in a darkened room in the lower level of the house where the temperature year round is in the 60's. Am I overlooking something? I wonder because a large part of my collection I've had for over 30 years and it seems to be doing OK thus far.

BZ, my 2 cents.

You certainly have a system that seems to be working for you. Your books are in fabulous condition considering their age. Probably from lack of handling more then anything else.

But considering the quality, and value of the books I would strongly suggest you invest the time and money to make sure they have as great a chance to remain as they are, 30 years from now.

I think buffered boards and micro chamber paper could only help, even if they dont end up doing all that much. Every little bit helps in preserving a collection like yours.

To err on the side of caution would not be considered overkill. I would like to see those incredibly deep colors stay as bright as possible for years to come.

Ze-

While it is certainly true that Bang's books are incredible. I couldn't help but notice, some signs of possible new damage, and if you look at these three books, the beginnings of a uniform spine roll. Perhaps they are all stacked together? Backing boards alone would help prevent this from happening. We care about the books and Bang, so that is why were are trying toi help him out a bit.

MarvelMystery14GA.jpg

MarvelMystery31GA.jpg

MarvelMystery29GA.jpg

While it is certainly true that Bang's books are incredible. I couldn't help but notice, some signs of possible new damage, and if you look at these three books, the beginnings of a uniform spine roll. Perhaps they are all stacked together? Backing boards alone would help prevent this from happening. We care about the books and Bang, so that is why were are trying toi help him out a bit.

Hey Bill,

Nothing a quick pressing couldn't remove! Ha Ha Flame War on!

Edited by mr.schomburg

Hey Bill,

Nothing a quick pressing couldn't remove! Ha Ha Flame War on!

Let's be honest, given the value of this collection with spine rolls and what it would be worth after a professional pressing how many us of would NOT have these pressed if we owned them? The difference in grade=added value would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Until then BZ I would certainly invest in full backs and mylars but not until we see some more scans. grin.gif

BZ one more question and excuse me if its been asked before but do you have any desire to send some of your more valuable books to CGC to at least assign/determine a market value for insurance purposes? Otherwise how does one process a claim (let's hope you never have to) and prove to your insurance carrier that your Tec #27 was actually worth $150,000 based on your determination of grade/value and not significantly less because of a dispute over its market value simply because the grade has not been verified by a third party? What are the mechanics of such a procedure, anyone?

BZ , I'm still waiting for Fantastic Comics # 3 !! also do you have Hit # 3 , # 5 & # 7 ?? I have 3 of those books , but I can only guess what your's looks like.

Agreed, this thread is what it is. A singular event.

The storage talk was fun though, I think if some of these gems are still stored in stacks without backing boards, that might soon be remedied thanks to Bill's insightful comment.

That minor roll effect will only continue to grow worse the more the books remain stacked, I say.. board'um!

Board'um all! I will help do it

For free!

Ze-

I don't know for sure if Mylar is the end all for perserving comics, but I can say this. When I stopped collecting in around 1987 I had bagged and boarded my whole collection and placed them in comic boxes. The comics that were in Mylar snugs or mylites(the original flimsy ones 1 mil) as opposed to standard poly bags and boards did retain more gloss and extreamly white pages. This was across the board after 15 yrs of storage, the big thing was page quality, the poly bagged comics had more of off-white to white page look, and the mylar books had stunning fresh printed white pages.

Of course I don't know if this means anything. Looking at BZ's books make me wonder, they seem to have extreamly high gloss with almost no color loss or any at all. I can say that the mylars do add a stiffness to the comic which enables it to remain crease free easier.

I really prefer the Mylite 2's with Full backs. They provide a wide range of sizes, and give extreamly good viewing quality. On top of that the are extreamly stiff with the full back and another half back can be added to provide a more solid holder. The closable flap also keeps dust out and deters pests. One of the items I like best is that they still remain plyable enough to make comic insertion easy and safer than conventional snuggs, but care should alway be taken when placing a comic in a bag. Oh, and one more thing, I have noticed that Mylar snugs the 4 mil version often scratch very easy and viewing is diminished over time. I have been using the Mylite 2's for about 4 years and have converted all of my collection over to them aside from graded books and at this time have seen no scratching issue and so viewing is clear and scratch free.

The Gerber's did however have a spliting problem at first, but I have had none of these issues in the last several years.

Paul

Yes, I have even seen the splitting problem. The way I see it with BZ's storage method(and why it seems to work) is that books are stack horizontally and the weight from the books helps to compress air out and possibly impeded page degradation(hence the reason that Church's books held up). This usually leaves the problems with the top most books and spine edges having damage. But since the books are in baggies, it probably helps with that as well. Though, I would expect the top most and bottom most books to not be the same quality as the books in the middle of the stack. Still, a bottom or top stack book in one of BZ's stack still out classes what a great many collectors have in their GA collections.

True enough, but what worries me is the lack of backing boards. Full backs should be high on his list. With his stuff, a bend here or there would mean thousands of dollars. Not worth the risk. He obviously loves his stuff and seems to go through the collection often. Moving books around in poly bags with no backers is an invitation to disaster.

4 mil mylars and full backs all the way. I usually go one step further on anything worth more than $1000. I put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then insert it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back.

I do the same thing. thumbsup2.gif

The storage talk was fun though, I think if some of these gems are still stored in stacks without backing boards, that might soon be remedied thanks to Bill's insightful comment.

That minor roll effect will only continue to grow worse the more the books remain stacked, I say.. board'um!

For free!

Ze-

Or you could just turn every other one around and save the $$$

For free!

Ze-

Or you could just turn every other one around and save the $$$

You can do that with your books!!

I would prefer a nice beefy fullback protecting the book when I pick up one of BZ's books, thank you very much.

sumo.gifpoke2.gif