• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

MarvelMysrey81GA.jpg

OK, I'll say WOW...I think the later ones are harder to find than the earlier ones...I've never seen this one...(not that I'm an expert, but I do shop a lot...;)

I keep saving up the posts, so I can be surprised:)

Thanks <b>Bang Zoom:)</b>

cloud9.gif

I am a fan of the later Marvel Mystery issues and this one is a beauty!!

I gotta ask. Why are you a fan of the later books in the run?

They have that "Marvel" feel. The introduction of super-villains, or at least non-army type foes was a nice departure. They were more like precursors to the Marvel Age of comics. I love the very early MM's as well, since they have that "dawn of the golden age" feel. The ones in the middle? Not so much.

Thanks C. I see your point. To me, though, I find them rather "lame". For me, it's a combo of 1) contrived "threats" for heroes: slum landlords, black market also-rans, ... which is little too hum-drums to make for very exciting covers and 2) the arrival of Alascia and Nicholas on cover art duties compounds the difficulty I have to appreciate that time period. But, hey, what do I know. I don't own any of these books. frown.gif

I am a fan of the later Marvel Mystery issues and this one is a beauty!!

I gotta ask. Why are you a fan of the later books in the run?

They have that "Marvel" feel. The introduction of super-villains, or at least non-army type foes was a nice departure. They were more like precursors to the Marvel Age of comics. I love the very early MM's as well, since they have that "dawn of the golden age" feel. The ones in the middle? Not so much.

Thanks C. I see your point. To me, though, I find them rather "lame". For me, it's a combo of 1) contrived "threats" for heroes: slum landlords, black market also-rans, ... which is little too hum-drums to make for very exciting covers and 2) the arrival of Alascia and Nicholas on cover art duties compounds the difficulty I have to appreciate that time period. But, hey, what do I know. I don't own any of these books. frown.gif

grin.gif

It is interesting how different books appeal to us isn't it? I find the covers a nice change from the repetitive ones of the prior 60 issues. But, they are all cool. Especially Subby covers! thumbsup2.gif

MarvelMystery27GA.jpg

Close call for Toro's "jewels" blush.gif

No it wasn't! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif You saying he hasn't any? blush.gifgrin.gif

Toro's a robot. confused-smiley-013.gif

Who is this very "stiff" cover artist? I think that I've seen his work elsewhere but don't know his name. Uncredited early Burgos???

Nope. That one is documented as Gill Fox. thumbsup2.gif

THANKS!

Do you think that Fox drew C-M-O Comics and this bewildering Witty Comics cover? (I have posted it before.) Chicago Mail Order and Chicago Nite Life News are somehow related to Centaur, right?

Jack

1115439-witty.jpg