• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I never noticed the detail and colors on these Timelys. Very cool looking books.

Subby 11 - 13 make quite a trio of Schomburg goodness!

Dang those colors are blinding and the condition of the books are fantastic. Hey BZ what has been the toughest Timely for you to acquire over the years?

I don't really know the answer to that.

My collection wasn't assembled through the traditional manner of purchasing books from dealers and fellow collectors. At an early age I realized I wanted to collect everything and, being a kid, it was obvious to me that I wasn't going to be able to make much headway in that pursuit if I had to pay retail.

That simply wasn't an option for me, I couldn't afford to do that

So, I hit upon the idea of buying as much as possible from original owners. I advertised in any magazine that I thought might produce possible sellers. I placed want ads in antique magazines, hobby publications, farm journals, retirement magazines, etc. Later, when I began to have something of a collection, I went through old comic books looking for annoucements of contest winners where they listed the contestant's addresses. I sent postcards with my buying message to everyone I found.

Thus my collection has lots of everything but few complete runs. I didn't work off a checklist to make purchases for especially wanted issues. Instead, I waited until it crossed my threshold via a large buy; and if it never did, I likely don't own it.

Here's one of my 1965 want ads. One of my earliest buys was for approximately 15 comics from the 1930's. I recall the lot included two copies of Circus, the Comic Riot # 3 (w/contributions by Eisner, Cole, Wolverton, and Bob Kane) and Amazing Mystery Funnies # 2 and Vol 2 # 3. I'd never heard of any of the comics, but I was thrilled with what I'd bought.

I thought to myself, I believe these ads are going to work.

And, they did.

BuyingAd1965GA.jpg

I am curious how people got in touch with you? There is no address or phone number. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am curious how people got in touch with you? There is no address or phone number. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Smoke signals, Tom-Toms, mesaages in a bottle.

I responded to all. gossip.gif

Obviously you have amazing communication skills! Were you ever able to talk anyone down to less then a penny on those (practically new) pre-1963 comics?

Some folks around here know me as a hard core Timely fanatic. You have really hit the spot the last few days. My favorite Timely books are the tryout anthology titles...Daring Mystery, Mystic, the first five issues of USA. I like the fact that each issue has a new line-up of characters and most have great covers. I can't pick a favorite cover as it changes for me month to month. If you could add some of these at the bottom of your (now long) to do list it would be much appreciated.

I went through old comic books looking for annoucements of contest winners where they listed the contestant's addresses. I sent postcards with my buying message to everyone I found.

What a great idea. I'd be curious to know if you ever picked anything up this way.

I also think advertising in farm journals / magazines is another clever idea for that time. I spent a lot of time going through many of my neighbor's & relatives stashes as a farmboy growing up in the 70's (though nothing earlier than mid-1950's comics, and always read to pieces). Ever buy anything interesting from a farmer?