• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

gennett.jpg

Gabriel Brown. There's a performer you don't don't see mentioned very often. He had a unique sound. Good buy.

recordplayer.gif

Yeah, but ol' Gabe's success took a real downturn when his guitar launched a solo career...

detective61_ga.jpg

Shocked Robin Corner Pose! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That corner pose actually has a lot more grit to his expression than typical. Very nice book.

Is that a giant Batman or just a small building? wink.gif

It's a classic cover and story. Three racketeers share their stories of how the Batman foiled their plans.

Well, it's been a while, a Polly daily near the Felix then, and a 1932 Messmer Felix Sunday, almost just as way cool as a 1932 Polly & her Pals - sure thang, kin we see both? 32 is a very good year for Felix - would appreciate it, if you can git to it easily tongue.gifhail.gifacclaim.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Here you go, Bob.

Felix.jpg

Felix the Cat

PollyandHerPals.jpg

Polly and Her Pals

Thank you BZ, you be gentleman and scholar - yep, both gems of the art form, this is a prime period on both i just love

- i have 15 Polly Sundays and want more, dailies or Sundays.

And one day an early 30s Felix Sunday will come my way, but i have to get my hip joint replaced so i can get back in the game like i had been.

You use non-glare UV glass on your originals? then again, if they never get direct sunlight, there is no problem - i say this cuz the paper looks supple off white on both stunning pieces.

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

The strips were framed about 35 years ago. I don't think I'd even heard of UV glass back then. The good news is that the curtains in the collection room are always closed, so sunlight (thankfully) isn't an issue.

Your having 15 Polly Sunday originals is VERY impressive.

I remember once seeing a large run of Polly and Her Pals Sunday strips from the late 20's. They were very artsy. I'd never seen a strip quite like it.

Most of my Polly originals are late ones, but towards the end, Sterrett could no longer afford ghost helpers, hence, one gets pure undiluted Sterrett towards the end. The Sunday strip ended mid June 1958 after a logn run which began in 1912 and i have a few Sundays which were unpublished dating into October 1958,

I like Sterrett's Polly strip circa 1927-1935 as much as i like Herriman's Krazy Kat, which is to say a lot. I used to have a complete run of the Sunday tear sheets acquired back in the 1970s, which all got turned into paper mache bricks with the 1986 flooding which destroyed the comics company i was an owner of - along with my complete runs into the 1940s of Popeye, Barney Google, Bringing Up Father, Felix, Mickey Mouse, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Gasoline Alley and many other classics.

As the libraries of America converted to micro fiche and literally were throwing away the bound volumes, i got in on the racket of simply offering up the freight charges to transport - the libraries loved it cuz they saved on garbage charges at the time

The past decade has seen me getting some of this stuff back and i have maybe 600 Polly tear sheets once again -

Okay, changing the subject a bit, and perhaps pushing my luck a bit... any Gasoline Alley originals, especially Sundays? Some of those Sundays are absolutely surreal, but I don't think I've ever seen them pre-coloring...

Okay, changing the subject a bit, and perhaps pushing my luck a bit... any Gasoline Alley originals, especially Sundays? Some of those Sundays are absolutely surreal, but I don't think I've ever seen them pre-coloring...

I'm guessing you've probably seen some of the 1930's era Sundays. They're beautiful.

I have a 1972 Moores Gasoline Alley original. It's nice, but certainly couldn't be described as surreal.

Maybe Bob Beerbohm has something from the period you're seeking. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

bumpit.gif

More funy books please - any pre-Batman Tecs

I'd check in with RareHighGrade first to make sure he has a paramedic standing by!

STEVE

My paramedic is standing by, so you can now (at long last) post those pre-hero Tecs BZ. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ill make that a double 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BZ - more Bugs Bunny books if you please. That'll give you a break from all the Tec fanboys. Also, if you have any of the lobby cards/ posters of the Bugs Bunny or Warner Bros cartoons those would also be grand. I figure with your focus on Bugs and your penchant for collecting pretty much everything, you might have those lying around.

BTW, along with the Uncle Scrooge reference, I remember one of the early Gladstones where US is in a different section of his money bin (or possibly basement) where he has stacks of old posters and other collectibles. He says something like they would sell for $100 each and he got them for nothing or next to nothing. I can't remember if it was Barks reprint or a European rendering but it was a good story. Anyone else remember this one?

Its been about a week since it was brought up, so Im thinking its safe to say ol Bangzoom doesnt actually have an original copy of the Declaration of Independence.... maybe : )

It won't fit on his scanner. grin.gif

I'm guessing you've probably seen some of the 1930's era Sundays. They're beautiful.

I have a 1972 Moores Gasoline Alley original. It's nice, but certainly couldn't be described as surreal.

Maybe Bob Beerbohm has something from the period you're seeking. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have many 100s of Gasoline Alley Sunday tear sheets, but no original King art flamed.gif

robert beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

Does this conversation about original art and it exploding value, vindicate such original art proponents as Krazykat? I missed a lot of his posts, but it seemed like that was all he talked about. Also, are there special needs for the preservation of original artwork? The appeal of original art for me, other than it's historical significance, is that it could be treated as artwork and displayed.

my opinion is that the core of what Brad Savage (KK) talks about has some merit, but this is obscured by his hyperbole and myopism.

KK wasn't banned because he promotes the collecting of OA. he was banned because he claims, and continues to claim, that buying comics is a waste of time and only a fool would "invest" in comics. it's all about the $$$$ for KK

this person krazykat (who, in reality, is mild-mannered mortgage lender St....., whoops) was merely expressing first ammendment rights and got banned? Why?

Because you often need to tow the party line. Sad but true.