• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are some more early one with one of particular interest.

BZ, you tell me if you accept The Clock's ones as valid but I know the third one is and it might surprise people who it's by. The first is from Detective Picture Stories - Dec. 1936 and the second and third are from Detective Picture Stories - April 1937 -

I would say the first two pages are transitional pieces where the artists are taking advantage of the opportunity to artistically explore a new medium.

The headings aren't integrated into the artwork so they aren't true full page panels, but they're getting close.

More great stuff, Scrooge. :cloud9:

I didn't know Bob Kane had work in Detective Picture Stories.

To you guys posting full pages from those early Detectives and New Adventure Comics:

I'm DYING to read some of those books! Is there anyway you can reveal how I too, could read those entire stories? Thanks in advance! PM me if you could!

Shawn

To you guys posting full pages from those early Detectives and New Adventure Comics:

I'm DYING to read some of those books! Is there anyway you can reveal how I too, could read those entire stories? Thanks in advance! PM me if you could!

Shawn

You could buy some of those books, Shawn. :kidaround:

Collectors who are more knowledgeable than me on what's been reprinted may have have some helpful suggestions.

You could start by checking budplant.com

I am impressed. Great run of ECs (thumbs u

Thanks, Harvey.

As everyone already knows, they had great writing and fantastic artwork in all their books.

I've read them all.

Very nice BZ!

You're right about the writing and artwork; top notch all the way :applause:

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOLDEN AGE COMICS

Pop Quiz # 21

Will Be Posted Tonight at 9:30 PM (EST)

---------------------

Testimonials

Karl Rove, in a bombshell announcement, said he was stepping down as deputy chief of staff after six tempestuous White House years because he wants to spend more time studying his Photo-Journals.

"I'm grateful to have been a witness to history," said Rove, "but if I don't win one of those damn Pop Quizzes, my life will have been in vain."

-------------

Merv Griffin, popular American television entertainer, was quoted shortly after his death, "I hope they play that Comic Book Quiz game in heaven."

--------------

Use of The Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books, Grand Comic Book Database (comics.org), Google.com, or any other reference source is purely optional.

This image appeared on the cover of a Golden Age comic book.

quiz21.jpg

Be the first to identify which one and you will win this beautiful loving cup and be the envy of everyone on the boards.

winner.gif

band.gif

(This offer void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law.)