• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

My recollection of that thread is that there was no compensation based on the idea that it was an unfortunate misunderstanding and that it was unclear who, if anyone at all, was "at fault." Just an unfortunate story.

My apologies. Those of us who swim more in the original art waters are bred to be more cryptic - agreed, that it's a terrible habit.

Yes, all that has been said is true.

Ferzoco gave it to Lu, who had a booth at SD '06, to sell. Lu was completely unfamiliar with the Frazetta market and misunderstood the asking price of the piece (which was not written down anywhere) and sold it for $1500, I guess to the first person who asked. The new buyer was quickly tracked down and was explained the misunderstanding. The new buyer refused reason, more than fair trade/cash back, whatever - and even apparently claimed to have already sold the piece at the show. The topic was then discussed ad naseum on the boards as to who was at fault. In the end, as I recall, there was no reimbursement to any parties - and no one was really blamed for the unfortunate occurance. Ferzoco tried to search out the piece for quite some time, and then I guess Mr. Bedrock got wind of this and let him know that he was the current owner. It's one of those situations where, as someone who is friendly with both Lu and Ferzoco, looking at that piece just leaves an ugly taste in your mouth, even though it's a really cool piece. Similar to when you sell something for 10% of what it later sells for and you can't remove that bitterness from seeing that item again.

I hate that there is a lingering bad taste associated with this really cool piece of art. Especially because I was really excited about posting it. I thought it fit pretty well with all the other cool stuff (Burroughs and otherwise) that has been posted here in BZ's wonderful thread. But I do understand where you guys are coming from. Oh well...

Famed Tarzan illustrator, J. Allen St John painted nine covers for Weird Tales magazine from 1932-1936.

These are the four covers that were published during the run of the "Buccaneers of Venus" serial by Otis Adelbert Kline.

weirdtales193211.jpg

:( What I don't understand is why there always seems to be at least oneperson on here who feels an uncontrollable urge to rain on someone else's parade if it happens to be even remotely possible to do so. The history of this particular piece of Frazetta art is -- as a couple of you have stated -- no big secret, and MrBedrock had nothing to do with the "sale gone wrong" part of it's history ... so why even bring it up?

To all of you who've been posting all of the cool ERB stuff ... :luhv::cloud9: ... please don't stop!!!!

The condition of those particular pulps is outstanding.

They look like they just came off the newsstand.

If there is any interest, I could post additional St John and Margaret Brundage covers.

:sumo: Only after my requests are fullfilled ... JK. Any material is ok. I prefer St. John to Brundage ... :wishluck:

I hate that there is a lingering bad taste associated with this really cool piece of art. Especially because I was really excited about posting it. I thought it fit pretty well with all the other cool stuff (Burroughs and otherwise) that has been posted here in BZ's wonderful thread. But I do understand where you guys are coming from. Oh well...

Maybe it's because some people are used to dealing with high dollar items, but had I been the owner, I would have made sure the other dealer understood the price I wanted for it. I can't blame the guy who let it go for 1500.00, becuase it seems like he wasn't given specific enough information. It's a sad , sad story, but I feel the owner was mostly at fault for not being emphatic and specific about the price. Of course, I could be wrong... I very often am.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just sharing my thoughts, since, y'know, this is a message board. I believe if you read my comments you will see that there was no judgement call on anyone other than myself and how I felt about the piece. The main point of my post was really to bring up an interesting topic on art inspired by the posting of that piece - which is that often times, there are other emotions that come up, that are not inherent to, or inspired by, the artistic value of the piece itself, but rather the events surrounding the piece. I mean, in essence this is an aspect of art that cannot be separtated from the art itself.

In any event, my apologies BZ, your posts are so awe-inspiring - I count myself among the many who comes back on a daily basis to see what new treasures you have posted. I have read every page of this massive thread, and look forward to reading many more...you have helped make the GA forum what I believe to be the best forum on this message board.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just sharing my thoughts, since, y'know, this is a message board. I believe if you read my comments you will see that there was no judgement call on anyone other than myself and how I felt about the piece. The main point of my post was really to bring up an interesting topic on art inspired by the posting of that piece - which is that often times, there are other emotions that come up, that are not inherent to, or inspired by, the artistic value of the piece itself, but rather the events surrounding the piece. I mean, in essence this is an aspect of art that cannot be separtated from the art itself.

In any event, my apologies BZ, your posts are so awe-inspiring - I count myself among the many who comes back on a daily basis to see what new treasures you have posted. I have read every page of this massive thread, and look forward to reading many more...you have helped make the GA forum what I believe to be the best forum on this message board.

technically it's my fault for bringing it up in the first place. i offer up a general apology to the board and Rich in particular

:sorry:

I'd like to encourage other Burroughs collectors to post photos of items from their collections.

There have been many great ERB collectibles produced through the years. Does anyone have any books, comics, movie memorabilia, sheet music, etc that they can share?

:popcorn: