• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Basically, its just all the stuff Paul Allen bought for his collection that he thought would be cool to share. Loves hendrix/music and sci-fi....... hence the odd marriage. Gotta love the guy for building this huge museum so he can share it all with people though. Coulda easily just kept it all under lock and key without ever letting anyone see it.

Edited by Bronty

Also noted a couple of first US (and I think one UK) first edition copies of the War of the Worlds (ie. the original book; not the Classic Comics issue). Those must be worth a pretty penny too. Anybody know the range?

All of this Burroughs stuff is making me giddy! (Great pulps BZ and Jeff)

Here's my contribution...

tarzan.jpg

It is Frazetta's prelim to the "Tarzan and the Lost Empire" Ace paperpack.

Essentially this was Frazetta's first solo paperback cover.

This is a scan of a photo as the original is framed, and being small doesn't scan very well.

There is about 1/2 inch additional on the bottom of the original with Frazetta's signature.

tarzan.jpg

This is a scan of a photo as the original is framed, and being small doesn't scan very well.

There is about 1/2 inch additional on the bottom of the original with Frazetta's signature.

:o(worship) (worship) (worship)

tarzan.jpg

That's SUPER impressive. :applause:

My introduction to the art of Frazetta was when I was a kid and bought second hand copies of the Ace paperbacks, Tarzan and the Lost Empire and Tarzan the Invincible.

I'm jealous.

(worship)

tarzan.jpg

:o(worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

tarzan.jpg

this being the piece you told me about at Geppi's museum?

VERY nice. (thumbs u

i'll give you fifteen hundred bucks for it. lol:baiting:

tarzan.jpg

this being the piece you told me about at Geppi's museum?

VERY nice. (thumbs u

i'll give you fifteen hundred bucks for it. lol:baiting:

Yes, it's interesting how some art you can look at - and see it for the art itself - but some art, you can't help but see the story as well as the art...and unfortunately, this piece of art carries a very ugly story behind it.

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Bedrock, who owns it fair and square...but I can't help but look at that and feel bad for the person that used to own it who is one of the more decent human beings on the planet and didn't deserve to lose it the way that he did.

Yes, it's interesting how some art you can look at - and see it for the art itself - but some art, you can't help but see the story as well as the art...and unfortunately, this piece of art carries a very ugly story behind it.

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Bedrock, who owns it fair and square...but I can't help but look at that and feel bad for the person that used to own it who is one of the more decent human beings on the planet and didn't deserve to lose it the way that he did.

I don't do cryptic (shrug) Could you please tell us the story or refrain from hinting? You can always send me PM to put me in the loop ...

It was from a thread a couple years ago. Ferzoco gave Lu the prelim to place at his table for sale while Ferzoco walked around. This was a misunderstanding or confusion w/r/t asking price. Believe it was to be 15k. Interpreted as 1.5K. Quickly snapped up at that price..

It was from a thread a couple years ago. Ferzoco gave Lu the prelim to place at his table for sale while Ferzoco walked around. This was a misunderstanding or confusion w/r/t asking price. Believe it was to be 15k. Interpreted as 1.5K. Quickly snapped up at that price..

I paid much more than $1500 for it from a third party ($5000 to be exact). And Steve Ferzoco is an A-1 guy. He has first shot at it if it ever gets sold again.

My introduction to the art of Frazetta was when I was a kid and bought second hand copies of the Ace paperbacks, Tarzan and the Lost Empire and Tarzan the Invincible.

I'm jealous.

(worship)

Thanks BZ. My intro was through the John Carter paperbacks from the early '70s.

Then the art books and posters. There was a pizza place in Austin called Conan's (great pies BTW) which had all the posters up. We would go there, have a huge pizza, and debate which Frazetta was the best.

I paid much more than $1500 for it from a third party ($5000 to be exact). And Steve Ferzoco is an A-1 guy. He has first shot at it if it ever gets sold again.

I never commented on what you bought it for; simply what ferzoco "lost" it for. I believe it was 1500. That's my recollection of that thread from days gone by, anyways.

Not like its a big secret - it was openly discussed on these boards so anyone who wants the full story can just search for the story in the archives.

Edited by Bronty

I'm jealous.

(worship)

Thanks BZ. My intro was through the John Carter paperbacks from the early '70s.

Then the art books and posters. There was a pizza place in Austin called Conan's (great pies BTW) which had all the posters up. We would go there, have a huge pizza, and debate which Frazetta was the best.

hehehe sounds cool.

I never commented on what you bought it for; simply what ferzoco "lost" it for. I believe it was 1500. That's my recollection of that thread from days gone by, anyways.

Not like its a big secret - it was openly discussed on these boards so anyone who wants the full story can just search for the story in the archives.

Your recollection is correct. I haven't ever asked him if he was ever reimbursed in any way by the dealer that mistakenly sold it. Is it mentioned in the thread? I was not active here when all of this took place. I contacted Ferzoco through one of the art boards.