• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Ewww! That one is REALLY disturbing!

Nahh ... a simple blood transfusion of the day (1936). ** Brrrr ** sometimes, I don't pine for the "good old days". :flamed:

It's been a while since I posted a story. Here's from Terrific # 2 - 1944. It's nice to see Ed Wheelan still working in an industry at a time when his typical style has long been supplanted for a more detailed and less cartoonish style. Wheelan jumped down from syndication to comics work. His first comic work dates from 1937 and his last appeared in 1949 for Harvey. Born in 1888, Wheelan was truly was of the oldest hands in comics. Here's Comics McCormick -

46602-T2-CM1.jpg.d4888e8d4dbfa42ac76789352afe5ca5.jpg

46603-T2-CM2.jpg.66eab98c329f137456fa0eabcc758244.jpg

46605-T2-CM3.jpg.a4153ec3f9ce0a57109b2aa937d8fe5e.jpg

46606-T2-CM4.jpg.df9e0f64089e51e8933635fb4a626832.jpg

46607-T2-CM5.jpg.45c2204845337deb401fcb99844f32ce.jpg

46608-T2-CM6.jpg.74d650e38b80093d0dd87587c337b171.jpg

Nice post Scrooge! Looks like Mr. Whelan was a fan of Bulletman since his character has a serious replica of Bulletman's helmet!

That left me a little confused. The splash panel showed books from Continental (Suspense, Terrific) and Holyoke, then the reference was to a Fawcett character. Was Continental an imprint of Holyoke? Were they somehow related to Fawcett? Did McCormick predate Supersnipe?

Jack

[Edit: D'oh! BZ beat me to the punch while I was typing.]

Edited by selegue

It's nice to see Ed Wheelan still working in an industry at a time when his typical style has long been supplanted for a more detailed and less cartoonish style.

Interesting point, Michael - I can't recall the book or the strip (Minute Movies?), but there was a drawn panel plea from Wheelan imploring readers to provide feedback if they wanted to continue and see his work (which apparently was on the verge of cancellation).

I generally enjoy his stories...

Seeing Guardineer's cover for Action 8, made me think "Last of the Mohicans."

You have good instincts.

action_8.jpg

Last-of-the-Mohicans.jpg

The 1936 movie poster.

wyeth_last_mohicans1919.jpg

1919 NC Wyeth illustration

Since yesterday something had been nagging at me and just after I logged off for this evening, it hit me finally. Do you think Fred Ray liked Wyeth too? ;) This one reverses the angle but keeps the waterfall -

46625-SSC102.jpg.4201e8ec57e81029c669f38f1e4551ef.jpg

You have good instincts.

action_8.jpg

Last-of-the-Mohicans.jpg

The 1936 movie poster.

Since yesterday something had been nagging at me and just after I logged off for this evening, it hit me finally. Do you think Fred Ray liked Wyeth too? ;) This one reverses the angle but keeps the waterfall -

THis is great stuff - I love seeing where artists get their inspiration from (i.e. what they're swiping :) ). I love Wyeth's work. I think my first exposure to him was with the Time-Life Enchanted World book series when I was a kid. His paintings were featured throughout as well on several covers. He was a big influence on a number of comic artists, including Foster.

Jeff

1682404426_1460d55ab4.jpg

Did ERB use Argosy to print his early stories first or did Argosy take the novels and break them into serial form?

Pirates of Venus was serialized in 1932 and published as a book in 1934.

The latest news is that Angelic Pictures has acquired the license to produce Pirates of Venus from ERB, Inc., the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Last month they announced the completion of a Pirates of Venus treatment and screenplay adaptation.

Pirates of Venus Movie

venus_postersm.jpg

You have good instincts.

action_8.jpg ...

Another interesting detail is that they all seem to be attempting a judo throw (Osoto Gari? It's been decades since I thought about it.) Is that a classic Western wrestling move too?

More of these cover-swipe sources, please! An artist friend has made "trading cards" of some of them. I'll check whether he'd mind me posting some of them.

Jack

It's been a while since I posted a story. Here's from Terrific # 2 - 1944. It's nice to see Ed Wheelan still working in an industry at a time when his typical style has long been supplanted for a more detailed and less cartoonish style. Wheelan jumped down from syndication to comics work. His first comic work dates from 1937 and his last appeared in 1949 for Harvey. Born in 1888, Wheelan was truly was of the oldest hands in comics. Here's Comics McCormick -

What a swell comicbook story! :applause:

Another interesting detail is that they all seem to be attempting a judo throw (Osoto Gari? It's been decades since I thought about it.) Is that a classic Western wrestling move too?

More of these cover-swipe sources, please! An artist friend has made "trading cards" of some of them. I'll check whether he'd mind me posting some of them.

Jack

It does look like Osoto Gari, but I suspect it's more of an attempt to depict traditional Native American wrestling. Very little knowledge of Native American wrestling survives and it would have varied from tribe to tribe, but it was very likely throw-based. Also, if you remember "Indian Wrestling" from when you were a kid, it involves wrapping your leg around your opponent and trying to force them over from a lying position - while this may or may not have had any resemblence to actual Native American wrestling, it does seem that the perception is that it heavily involed the use of the legs. OTH, judo/jiu-jitsu was the best known of the Asian martial arts in the West during early 20th century due to a number of Kano's students traveling around Europe and America, so who knows. Interesting observations. hm

Also, I'd love to see more swipe sources too! Cool stuff!

Jeff