• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

any timely Xmas type covers?

I can't think of one.

Did they have any?

Timely didn't do Christmas, they were too busy fighting the war (and chasing down red ink!)

2099577372_f0abddf94e_b.jpg

I think I have a few more Christmas covers but they will have to wait. Hope everyone has started their Christmas shopping.

bb

Very nice!!

I see on GCD that it includes a story featuring Twerpo Penguin (tee-hee) and a Sniffles & Mary Jane story. Anyone have a scan of either?

Jack

Thanks!

I really like Sniffles and Mary Jane. Utterly unabashed fantasy (to the point of psychedelic), almost always well drawn and plotted. I wonder whether there would be enough of a market for reprints. Collecting a whole set of originals wouldn't be easy (or cheap!).

Jack

LTpg1.jpg

LTpg2.jpg

Looney Tunes # 39

2099658138_601d25cf79_b.jpg

2099657812_e7476c7547_b.jpg

Jack,

I added a couple of scans as requested. The Dell giant was filled with comics puzzles, songs, puppets, games and a 30 page Bugs Bunny story with Giant Robots. A nice present on a cold Christmas morning. I didn't check to see who did the art on Sniffles and Mary Jane but it was really good work. Not the usual artist I think. And Bugs made another wrong turn at Albee-Kirkee.

bb

PS I never figured out the origin of the Rocketman story in an ealier post. I thought it might be Punch 21 but it has a Johnny Rebel story that is not listed in the GCD or Keltner index.

bb

2099658138_601d25cf79_b.jpg

2099657812_e7476c7547_b.jpg

Jack,

I added a couple of scans as requested. The Dell giant was filled with comics puzzles, songs, puppets, games and a 30 page Bugs Bunny story with Giant Robots. A nice present on a cold Christmas morning. I didn't check to see who did the art on Sniffles and Mary Jane but it was really good work. Not the usual artist I think.

You're too good to me -- literally. I'm supposed to be getting some work done for tomorrow and am totally distracted. But not complaining!

Toonopedia:

"Editor Chase Craig ...created and wrote the "Mary Jane & Sniffles" series... Through most of the 1940s, the series was drawn by Roger Armstrong... In the '50s, Al Hubbard... took it over."

You don't think this story is Armstrong?

Whoever did it, a nice rendition. How does MJ "get small" in this story?

And Bugs made another wrong turn at Albee-Kirkee.

HAW! A favorite continuing gag. Isn't it "Alba-Koikey"?

This looks familiar. Is it an adaptation of a Bugs animated cartoon (or vice versa)?

PS I never figured out the origin of the Rocketman story in an ealier post. I thought it might be Punch 21 but it has a Johnny Rebel story that is not listed in the GCD or Keltner index.

bb

I'm no help with Rocketman.

Are you named after Ralphie's infamous Red Ryder BB-Gun from A Christmas Story?

Jack

My first two initials are BB. Like BB King. But I relate better to Ralphie (especially the broken glasses). I never shot my eye out but my neighbors accused me of shooting out their window. I loved Red Ryder as a kid and still enjoy old westerns. Fred Harman was a great artist and I enjoyed his style. The old Sunday full page Bronc Peelers were great stuff too.

I quoted the story line in the last panel of the first page. It is pronounced "Albee-Kirkee" although I would have spelled it like you did.

Mary Jane said "Now I shut my eyes real tight, and then I wish with all my might! Magic words of Poof Poof, Piffles. Make me just as small as Sniffles!"

I think Green Lantern paraphrased this to charge his power ring. It seems similar doesn't it?

I think I should fix the data in the GCD if I can confirm that I have Punch 21 and not a reprint.

bb

I quoted the story line in the last panel of the first page. It is pronounced "Albee-Kirkee" although I would have spelled it like you did.

Right, I saw that you were quoting the page. I was surprised that the -script writer didn't spell it more like Bugs' Bronx accent.

Mary Jane said "Now I shut my eyes real tight, and then I wish with all my might! Magic words of Poof Poof, Piffles. Make me just as small as Sniffles!"

I think Green Lantern paraphrased this to charge his power ring. It seems similar doesn't it?

Heck, yeah. It all started with Mary Jane!

If MJ didn't use magic sand in this story, it's probably Hubbard rather than Armstrong artwork.

I think I should fix the data in the GCD if I can confirm that I have Punch 21 and not a reprint.

bb

Definitely. There's a link to report errors on almost every page, and the error team is usually very responsive.

Jack

2099815944_a5c4326137_b.jpg

I didn't find the origin of the "Spider Master" Rocketman story but I did find this nifty splash panel with an Indian Motorcycle in Punch 13. You don't see the brand name very often in the comics but you can usually tell the company by which side the WWII suicide shifter is on. I think Capt America prefered Harley cycles but he occasionally used an Indian. When you look at the covers, they are usually crashing into a lake or a wall which means he had to replace them often.

bb

Very, very cool.

That's the first Indian Motorcycle I believe I've ever seen pictured in a comic book.

I'm sure I would have noticed if I'd seen any others because my father told me he owned one when he was a teenager, so I've always paid special attention to them when looking at old photographs, etc.