• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Viva la difference! (worship)

For the past few weeks I've been digging through stacks of treasures in my mountaintop home, exploring rooms that have long been sealed off, looking for something a little different to show you.

Finally, I found what I was seeking.

Here's the pulp.

StarDetective.jpg

And here's the original painting.

pulppainting.jpg

Beautiful pulps BZ. I love the painting. Where can I get one? Can I show a few more in this thread? This April 1926 issue of Science and Invention had some science fiction (not to mention great inventions which were kind of fiction). I think the first issue of Amazing came out at the same time didn't it.

2251968672_d911dce16b_b.jpg

There are plenty of good detective pulps out there.

2251172327_772d951b06_b.jpg

And some pulps had comics inside which were attempting to seduce the not-so innocent.

2251969164_e479f6da9f_b.jpg

Sometimes it is better to just forget comics and pulps and just sit down and read a good book....with really nice illustrations.

2251172593_1762e03bd1_b.jpg

BZ,

I don't have a lot of key early superhero comics. But I have a lot odds and ends. My collection has variety but not the value of the books that you have collected but I like em. That "Croaked" panel appeared in Wertham's book. I think it was also published in a comic. And below is another pulp from E Toth which I think is related to Centaur comics.

bb

2251968822_bd113029dc_b.jpg

Thanks for posting, BB. What are the clues to a connection between Centaur and the pulps?

And below is another pulp from E Toth which I think is related to Centaur comics.

2251968822_bd113029dc_b.jpg

I think you're right.

I had out an Amazing Adventure Funnies and an Amazing-Man Comics yesterday and I noticed an ad for a Comet pulp on the back cover of one of them.

I like that incoming rocket. I'm not exactly certain what animal it reminds me of, but it's very cool.

I had out an Amazing Adventure Funnies and an Amazing-Man Comics yesterday and I noticed an ad for a Comet pulp on the back cover of one of them.

Thanks, BZ. Given how cheap the pulp publishers were it makes sense that same company produced both comics and pulps.

I like that incoming rocket. I'm not exactly certain what animal it reminds me of, but it's very cool.

Stingray?

Thanks, BZ. Given how cheap the pulp publishers were it makes sense that same company produced both comics and pulps.

I own all five copies of Comet that were published.

I'll take a look this weekend to see if any of them have ads for Centaur comics in them.

Nice camera! ;)

I love your pulp paintings... way cool. Can't wait to see the third one too.

Is that by the same artist as the previous one you've shown BZ? Do you know / care to share anything about the artist?

Wow! I've been off the boards for a few years and this is the first 'thread' I started upon my return here. After several weeks I've finally got through the whole thing and I'm seriously impressed with your collection! This is the stuff I used to dream of owning way back, when Overstreet first appeared and I started subscribing to RBCC and TBG. Those were the days.

My own collection isn't too shabby but pales beside yours. That's OK. Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

tiptop18.jpg

1801961472_de48961f99_b.jpg

BZ

Tip Top is great but that isn't where I got the scan. I like the Foster work in Tip Top and I have a lot of Sunday pages by Hogarth that look pretty good. It wasn't in Tip Top and it wasn't an ad for Tip Top. That should narrow it down.

bb

Man, I spend a few days digging holes in the woods and miss these these great books! Awesome Tip Tops fellas! (worship)

Wow! I've been off the boards for a few years and this is the first 'thread' I started upon my return here. After several weeks I've finally got through the whole thing (thumbs u

Welcome back, ghoulaid. cheers.gif

I'm happy you thought the thread was worth reading.

Wow! I've been off the boards for a few years and this is the first 'thread' I started upon my return here. After several weeks I've finally got through the whole thing (thumbs u

Welcome back, ghoulaid. cheers.gif

I'm happy you thought the thread was worth reading.

Worth reading??????? Why.....I'm living vicariously through this thread. I've paneled my comic vault in the same knotty pine that BZ has.....I've blown up all the images of comics and pulp displays and cabinets to make them look like the real thing. I have full size poster boards of several board members positioned as if they're trying to sneak in through the basement window. I even have one of Bob Beerbohm trying to swap an Obidiah Oldbuck for a Detective 27, while a cutout of Showcase-4 is standing behind him with a baseball bat getting ready to strike. I spend a lot of time in that room and the only interruptions are when my wife asks me who I'm talking to. "Who are you telling to put the lotion on, honey?" Anyway, it's all in the spirit of comic and pulp fun, in a demented sort of way.