• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I am seriously thinking of starting to collect pulps also after seeing all of the beautiful copies in this thread. They seem far more affordable than comics (ie, in my price range) and seem to have lots of hidden treasures within :)

Any recommendations of titles to look into for both art and stories? Thanks!

What genres do you like the best (sci-fi, western, detective, hero pulps, weird menace, aviation, etc.)?

I didn't know where to start helping you but BZ as usual nailed it on the head. Genre is a big driver for pulp collectors (as well as writers first and foremost). Personally, I like Adventure, Aviation and Detective pulps even though I do read the Hero pulps as well. Once decided on a genre, stand-out titles from each will emerge in our collective mind. In fact, I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this issue. So, Ash, what say are your favorite genres? :popcorn:

I am probably most interested in sci-fi/weird menance, hero/adventure and detective pulps (in that order). Aviation and Western pulps have never really interested me (except for non-fiction written during the time of the "Indian Wars").

Thanks BZ and Scrooge (and everyone else)! :foryou:

I am seriously thinking of starting to collect pulps also after seeing all of the beautiful copies in this thread. They seem far more affordable than comics (ie, in my price range) and seem to have lots of hidden treasures within

Any recommendations of titles to look into for both art and stories? Thanks!

I am probably most interested in sci-fi/weird menace, hero/adventure and detective pulps (in that order).

You have a wide range of interests, so you'll need to do some digging to see which collecting niche you feel most comfortable.

I have found that many comic collectors tend to gravitate to pulps that they feel have the most lurid covers. If you are unfamiliar with the artists, I'd recommend you check out websites that focus on pulps to see if there are any illustrators whose work you find especially appealing. Also, you could browse through books like Pulp Culture by Frank Robinson. If your local library doesn't have it on their shelves, they can get it for you via an InterLibrary loan.

Other collectors pursue pulps with stories by their favorite authors (Burroughs, Lovecraft, Chandler, etc).

There have been many books published in recent years that have reprinted pulp stories and their illustrations. You should take a look at them and see if any particular magazines catch your fancy.

The following is a brief list of some of the marquee titles for each of the genres you mentioned. You could use them as the starting off point for your pulp explorations.

SCI-FI: Amazing Stories, Astounding Science-Fiction, Planet Stories

WEIRD MENACE: Dime Mystery, Horror Stories, Terror Tales

HERO: Doc Savage, Shadow, The Spider

DETECTIVE: Black Mask, Detective Story Magazine.

BZ, can you post pictures of your Phantom Ladies? :)

I'll check to see if I have any within easy reach. (thumbs u

Lots of my collection is buried in boxes but I think I know where the Phantom Lady comics are hiding. hm

BZ, can you post pictures of your Phantom Ladies? :)

I'll check to see if I have any within easy reach. (thumbs u

Lots of my collection is buried in boxes but I think I know where the Phantom Lady comics are hiding. hm

It's in the "C" warehouse, 3rd floor, aisle 42, 5th shelf, 4th box from the left. :gossip:

And the antidote for Phantom Lady overdose is a nice Little Orphan Annie story. This is one of a series of books featuring LOA.

2367979012_befaa515c5_b.jpg

And Freckles was also featured in a Famous Funnies book from 1934. The cover looks pretty simple but the art inside is quite good.

BB-gun

2367144425_c3e1c1758d_o.jpg

I think I have some other work by Farr from Calgary Eyeopener. I will try to dig it out but I am not sure which one.

Do you know what years Farr's work appeared in the Calgary Eye Opener?

I have a few issues from around 1929.

BZ,

I mentioned that I thought I saw Jack Farr art in early EyeOpener issues. I searched a few from 1926 to 1936 but didn't see any of his work. I must have been thinking of an issue of Joker or Jest from the late forties. I have a few of those which have Wolverton and Ward art. I did find some Barks art in this old July 1928 issue, which is nice to have.

2368034848_b261593733_o.jpg

100_2844.jpg

I think I've narrowed it down to The Comics Magazine #1 (May 1936) or #2 (June 1936); or Funny Pages #6 (November 1936) or #7 (December 1936).

I'll have to leave it to someone else to confirm or refute my hunch.

I may not know where the b&w strip appeared, but I did discover a somewhat revised color version appeared in Superman #29. (shrug)

I'll post a photo of it tomorrow after my camera's battery is recharged. :P