• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Those Blaine covers are painted by Norman Blaine Saunders. :gossip:

I know! :cloud9: Saunders painted a single Spicy cover and what a beaut :headbang:. I know at least one person on the board has a copy. If not you BZ (which you might have a copy) I want to say rjpb unless he sold it -

57050-SM-OnlySaundersCover.jpg.d187bbb1d9853abcbab0c64e0339699d.jpg

Saunders painted a single Spicy cover and what a beaut. I know at least one person on the board has a copy. If not you BZ (which you might have a copy)

I have that issue but it's missing the front cover. :sorry:

As a matter of history, how "respectable" were the Saucy and Spicy titles? Was buying them in the 1930's like buying Playboy or Penthouse would be today? They don't look like something you would read on the subway after a hard day at work.

As a matter of history, how "respectable" were the Saucy and Spicy titles? Was buying them in the 1930's like buying Playboy or Penthouse would be today? They don't look like something you would read on the subway after a hard day at work.

From the intro of Uncovered:

"Banned in some cities, sold with covers torn off in others, always sold under the counter (when they could be sold at all), the girlie pulps led a precarious life."

Kind says it all, doesn't it.

Here's also the very first page of the intro to give you another idea of the atmosphere surrounding these books -

[btw, the reason it took the stash 48 hours to burn is probably to give time to everyone in the precinct to inspect the violation in detail ... :devil:]

57057-Uncovered-Intro.jpg.dbc47ba416ff20fc5353e04b379c1d8b.jpg

Why is it that the French have all the fun?

I believe BZ wanted to feature story from the homelands tonight ... and just for me :cloud9: Thanks BZ :foryou:

You've got to love the cover design for those French Night Life mags. Here's another one (Dec. 1935) that shows you what you can find behind that keyhole ... And speaking of keyhole, here's another one (Nov. 1936) to show you Steve that the US has its fun ... you're just on the wrong coast :baiting: [Note: both covers by George Quintana]

57078-FrenchNightLife-December1935.jpg.eef3ca0515263f9a69eb8fc211c2c0e1.jpg

57079-NewYorkNights-November1936.jpg.e9e7cde669438e646fb22a597558c082.jpg