• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Oh and to assuage the feeling that I deal too much in the tawdry, here's a "pre-historic" artifact that Theagenes should enjoy. (Note: it was published some 10 years after Verne's own Voyage to the Center of the Earth) -

57087-BoysWeekly-June1878.jpg.9088d7a8d074974e1753fffa5fcb156c.jpg

Oh and to assuage the feeling that I deal too much in the tawdry, here's a "pre-historic" artifact that Theagenes should enjoy. (Note: it was published some 10 years after Verne's own Voyage to the Center of the Earth) -

Very cool! That beastie has a very Lovecraftian look to him. Have you read the story?

:whistle:

specsaucytales.jpg

lol:roflmao:

It took me until this morning to finally get it. lol It's not fun being slow.

Do you remember that promotion that McD's had where if you could say their Big Mac slogan in under 3 seconds(?) you got a free sandwich?

"Two all-beef patties, special sauce , lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun"

:whistle:

specsaucytales.jpg

lol:roflmao:

It took me until this morning to finally get it. lol It's not fun being slow.

Do you remember that promotion that McD's had where if you could say their Big Mac slogan in under 3 seconds(?) you got a free sandwich?

"Two all-beef patties, special sauce , lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun"

Yeah, I remember it now, it just took me a while. Funny stuff!

There were other things happening in 1936 aside from frollicking nekid women on the cover of magazine sold under the counter. In the pages of Thrilling Wonder Stories, the newly minted name of Wonder Stories once Ned Pines (him again) took over the mag from Hugo Gernsback and under the guidance of a certain Mort Weisinger as editor, Thrilling Wonder Stories carried a comic-book feature: Zarnak. Zarnak died fairly quickly under the outrage of the letter column but still left us some more crazy Sci-Fi comic book pages that people like around these parts. Art by Max Plaisted and -script maybe by Weisinger himself, here comes Zarnak with big-brained Mercurians and insane ones as well!! -

57099-Zarnak-1.jpg.eb70d5e680da9b46155b599b5a4fc819.jpg

57100-Zarnak-2.jpg.9fa036ea22c1d40c9734117cfcb9f70e.jpg

57101-Zarnak-3.jpg.59d00b4d412674e240da5ca4dafcf5ee.jpg

In the pages of Thrilling Wonder Stories, the newly minted name of Wonder Stories once Ned Pines (him again) took over the mag from Hugo Gernsback and under the guidance of a certain Mort Weisinger as editor, Thrilling Wonder Stories carried a comic-book feature: Zarnak.

Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

I'd forgotten about the comics in TWS.

I especially like this page.

57100-Zarnak-2.jpg

There were other things happening in 1936...Thrilling Wonder Stories carried a comic-book feature: Zarnak. Art by Max Plaisted

Max Plaisted is also remembered as being the artist for one of Harry Donenfeld's earliest comic features, Diana Daw, that appeared in the November 1934, Spicy Adventure Stories .

dianadaw1.jpg

dianadaw2.jpg

There were other things happening in 1936...Thrilling Wonder Stories carried a comic-book feature: Zarnak. Art by Max Plaisted

Max Plaisted is also remembered as being the artist for one of Harry Donenfeld's earliest comic features, Diana Daw, that appeared in the November 1934 Spicy Adventure Stories .

dianadaw1.jpg

dianadaw2.jpg

Yeah!!!! That's very cool BZ!!!! :headbang:

Thanks for the interior scans, great stuff I've never seen before, really historic, and I'm lovin' it!!!

Max Plaisted is also remembered as being the artist for one of Harry Donenfeld's earliest comic features, Diana Daw, that appeared in the November 1934 Spicy Adventure Stories .

Yes, I had read that also but had never seen the pages. :applause:

"Seize her and Strip her" is such a wonderful line :blush:

Now I wonder where the :censored: Prince Baldwin comes from?!?!

2432455495_94fe7dce9b_b.jpg

I didn't find any neat cartoons in my issue of Spicy but I did find an interesting cover. But I also liked these Fantastic and Amazing covers and another Marvel (with a Gardner F. Fox story).

BB

2432455113_e10580856c_b.jpg

2433269926_015fc78f86_b.jpg

2433270052_df03b0400a_b.jpg

2433270418_fb40d01974_b.jpg

In the pages of Thrilling Wonder Stories, the newly minted name of Wonder Stories once Ned Pines (him again) took over the mag from Hugo Gernsback and under the guidance of a certain Mort Weisinger as editor, Thrilling Wonder Stories carried a comic-book feature: Zarnak.

Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

I'd forgotten about the comics in TWS.

I especially like this page.

57100-Zarnak-2.jpg

:o I can easily imagine Fletcher Hanks illustrating this story.

BZ ... you wouldn't happen to own any Saunders originals would you?

No, but for several years I was under the mistaken impression that this painting was by Saunders.

Painting.jpg

The painting was originally purchased without knowing who the artist was or where it was published. I thought I'd identified the artist when I read this attribution in The Shudder Pulps.

saunders.jpg

Later I saw that incorrect credit repeated in many dealers lists and in several more books.

saunders2.jpg

Ultimately, when I became more familiar with the styles of different artists, I realized that the painting was actually the work of JW Scott.

Ultimately, when I became more familiar with the styles of different artists, I realized that the painting was actually the work of JW Scott.

It's definitely not Saunders and Scott seems reasonable to these less experienced eyes.