• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

These are some very rare and highly sought after pulps that surfaced from an old time collector, and showed up at last weeks Pulpcon in Dayton.

The ALL DETECTIVE'S are from 1933 and 1934 and pre-dating the Dr. Death run.

The STAR magazine is from 1931 and has a great cover.

alldetectiveseptfbb.jpg

alldetectivejuly1933bb.jpg

alldetectivesept1934bb-1.jpg

alldetectivemay1933bb.jpg

StarFCbb.jpg

****As much as I admire these covers, and the rarety, they are always up for trade for early high grade Shadows****

These are some very rare and highly sought after pulps that surfaced from an old time collector, and showed up at last weeks Pulpcon in Dayton.

Great looking pulps, Dwight. :applause:

What were the highlights of the con?

I heard that Ed Kessell's sons were selling his collection.

I have the complete set.

Of course you do.

BZ, what is your favorite thing - the one thing you'd hold onto after everything else was gone?

I'm thinking its his original copies of the stone tablets with the ten commandments. hm

He probably has the rough drafts. Every time BZ posts something new, my jaw just drops.

I heard that Ed Kessell's sons were selling his collection.

His son Geoff had some touching words about the process / the sale -

"As for me (and I think I speak for my brother Michael as well), I'm extremely grateful for your camaraderie and integrity. As I said to some of you, I feel like PulpCon is a long-lost sibling of mine - another one of Dad's children - and I really appreciate the obvious care and respect you've shown it all these years. It's comforting to know that something so dear to him is equally dear to so many of you, and that the pulps he so thoroughly enjoyed now belong to others who will enjoy them every bit as much as he did, if not more. Dad used to talk about fellow pulpsters whose collections were ravaged in estate sales, bulk auctions, etc. after they passed, and we would never have wanted to see that happen to his. I feel like, with your help, we took it about as far in the opposite direction of those "horror stories" as we possibly could, and also demonstrated how wise of an investment pulps really are!"

BZ, what is your favorite thing - the one thing you'd hold onto after everything else was gone?

My collecting interests are rather diverse so it's difficult to choose only one item.

However, one thing I particularly treasure is a 1857 daily diary written by a performer on a circus that traveled the midwest with a large troupe of American Indians.

The accounts of their traveling by wagons at night, perennially facing bankruptcy, scrapes with the law, frequent fights among themselves, sickness, and other tales of woe make for a rather remarkable document of the times.

diary.jpg

Another favorite of mine is an 1884 two-sided advertising herald from the Ringling Brothers Circus first season. The poster advertises a performance for the town of Ontario, Wisconsin on June 16th. The circus was only three weeks old at that point in time (two of the brothers were still teenagers). This is probably the oldest surviving poster for the show.

ringling3.jpg

ringling2.jpg

ringling1.jpg

orientalstories1932winter.jpg

That is a great St. John cover and I guess it is for the Otis Kline story. What is the story on Otis Kline? Was he before or after ERB or a competitor? I haven't read his stories yet and I don't think I have a complete one but they look pretty good based on the covers and titles.

Kline was a contemporary of Burroughs.

His work bears some interesting parallels to Burroughs work.

Link

Hi BZ,

Yes,

Ed's sons brought his collection. As expected there was a feeding frenzy. Some of the more impressive stuff were the All Detective, All star Detective, Far East, Oriental Stories, runs of Dime Mystery, Dime detective, Clues Detective, a low grad run of Spiders, Green Lama's appearances, etc. and hiundreds of other pulps, from early to mid 1930's items right up to the 1940's items. By the end, most of the pulps had been sold. Ed's sons were very nice fellows but I think at times overwhelmed by the interest in the collection. If you want to know any more specifics, you can PM me.

Dwight

Continuing with our presentation of rare pulp magazines...

Nine issues of Oriental Stories were published and then the title was changed to Magic Carpet Magazine.

magiccarpet1.jpg

January 1933, April 1933, July 1933

All the cover illustrations were by Margaret Brundage with the exception of the July 1933 issue which was by J. Allen St. John.

That's amazing. Where did you find the poster?

eBay. :gossip:

Really? I was expecting you to say you bought it in 1966 for a dollar :)

what did it set you back if you don't mind me asking

Edited by Bronty

Continuing with our presentation of rare pulp magazines...

Nine issues of Oriental Stories were published and then the title was changed to Magic Carpet Magazine.

magiccarpet1.jpg

January 1933, April 1933, July 1933

All the cover illustrations were by Margaret Brundage with the exception of the July 1933 issue which was by J. Allen St. John.

BZ,

Those are fantastic books. Thanks for the information about the continuity too. All I can show is a few books from my Mickey Mouse collection.

bb

2743417131_4c3e4c1a53_b.jpg

2743422305_0f0c90bba7_b.jpg

Rescuing this thread from the second page, here's a pic of what Bonnett's looked like circa 1941 :o:o

Makes you want to travel back in time to destroy that #$%^& Bonnett's stamp, doesn't it?

Jack

Now that you see the outfit, it's no surprise how many books with the stamps are still floating around.