• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

(worship) That's typical of your collection to start with the Finger Man issue :o

The Heavenly Rat issue cover is my favorite of this batch ... but we know it's not the covers that makes Black Mask special :headbang:

Keltner was a visionary. I thought his indexing idea was a pipe dream and now it looks like it's a project that will actually be accomplished.

A few of my favorite fan artists in the early days of fandom were Ronn Foss, Richard "Grass" Green, and Bill Dubay.

And Rocket's Blast 27.

bb

2701135143_ff1f52a77d_b.jpg

The cover is by Howard Keltner. It is a rendition of a Web splash. I am not sure which issue. Anyone know? Pop Quiz?

I think it looks like the cover of 27 without the japanese villain in the web and Steel Sterling and Blackjack standing off to the left side.

2702327806_a31cf26f77_o.jpg

2702328048_0a6d478d9c_o.jpg

Well maybe Howard used one of these as a template for his cover but there is no exact match there. Perhaps he used an ad from another comic? Howard drew a lot of stories for the early comic fanzines. He seemed pretty friendly when I talked to him. I have found his index to be very useful.

bb

Keltner was a visionary. I thought his indexing idea was a pipe dream and now it looks like it's a project that will actually be accomplished.

A few of my favorite fan artists in the early days of fandom were Ronn Foss, Richard "Grass" Green, and Bill Dubay.

And Rocket's Blast 27.

bb

Well maybe Howard used one of these as a template for his cover but there is no exact match there. Perhaps he used an ad from another comic? Howard drew a lot of stories for the early comic fanzines. He seemed pretty friendly when I talked to him. I have found his index to be very useful.

bb

I found another Keltner cover in the box. The reproduction isn't as good as later issues but it was better than the old ditto machines.

2704036635_aef60d94fe_b.jpg

This issue also had my first full page ad. I wasn't much of a business man. No wonder Rogofsky got all of the comics. The ad was listed under the name of my business partner at the time. He went off to fight the war in the late sixties and I went off to college and war protests. We still occasionally call and seem to be friends.

bb

PS I don't remember owning some of those comics and the Prices Are No Longer Valid.

2704036799_de36038a42_o.jpg

:applause:

Do you still like Joe Kubert as much now as back then?

I still like Kubert but I enjoy the work of many other artists (Anderson, Kirby, Quinlan, Wolverton, Crumb, Fine, Schomburg, Ditko, Barks, and etc.). I buy new items by Kubert occasionally. I enjoy the work of his sons too (Andy and Adam). I missed his lecture at one of the local universities in NJ a few months ago and was a little disappointed with myself. Speaking of other artists...I saw some work by Lou Fine at the Jewish Museum that made me appreciate his art a lot more (Wow).

I would like some of the older Kubert stuff for my collection (early Hawkman or Viking Prince). I wouldn't sell the home for it but you can have my old car.

Fan appreciation of Kubert's art was more vocal back in those days(1962-68). I was also fond of Buscema's art and Rosa's. I only have a few originals by those guys but enjoy them very much.

bb

He can draw a pretty good dragon.

2704178595_72bb5c65e4_o.jpg

That was pretty fast Scrooge. I guess you must have remembered that cover. It does look like something that should be on an Adventure comic.

I spent my time making new Baker covers. This is what the Weird Adventures 1 cover should have looked like. I am not sure whether they censored the story in other ways. But some of the panels (including this splash) showed the She-Wolf with a T-shirt under her blouse. After restoration, I think it would have made a good cover. I posted this on the romance thread too. I thought BZ might appreciate the orange cover creation.

The Canadian comics often took an internal page or panel and turned it into a comic. I am wondering why they didn't use this one unless they were afraid of Seducing the Innocent.

bb

2707409186_e61dc5038a_o.jpg

That was pretty fast Scrooge. I guess you must have remembered that cover. It does look like something that should be on an Adventure comic.

You don't suppose he had just seen it two minutes earlier like I did.

With Scrooge's visual memory, probably not.

Jack

Jack

lol I know I know but I can assure you that I posted in BZ's thread before seeing the other one. (thumbs u

Jack

lol I know I know but I can assure you that I posted in BZ's thread before seeing the other one. (thumbs u

The scary part is that I believe you! Usually you ID from only about a dozen pixels.

Jack

Beginning with issue #23, New Adventure Comics abandoned the cartoon covers that graced their early issues and began to imitate the images more commonly found on pulp magazines.

88_4_27.jpg

adventure19310701.jpg

Adventure (July 1931)

Inspired by BB's posting of early 1960's fanzines, I went digging through stacks of boxes looking for my own collection.

I never did find them. :pullhair:

But I did find some early New York Comic Convention programs.

nycon666768.jpg

1966 1967 1968

nycon697071.jpg

1969 1970 1971