• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

wow, those Adv pulps comparisons are outstanding!

I agree. Here's another ... not quite as blatant, could be a coincidence... plus the Action 2 came out before the Adventure Yarns this time: Dec. 1938 for the pulp versus July 1938 for the comic -

62965.jpg.04257de0f46389a2ff26023122bd743e.jpg

Wow, this thread is simply amazing. After spending almost all day yesterday at work going through this thread lol I must say I am simply blown away.This thread has me now officially hooked on these boards. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Jason

Wow, this thread is simply amazing. After spending almost all day yesterday at work going through this thread lol I must say I am simply blown away.This thread has me now officially hooked on these boards. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Jason

Bangzoom has a habit of doing that.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Looking forward to more posts from you.

Inspired by BB's posting of early 1960's fanzines, I went digging through stacks of boxes looking for my own collection.

I never did find them. :pullhair:

But I did find some early New York Comic Convention programs.

nycon666768.jpg

1966 1967 1968

nycon697071.jpg

1969 1970 1971

I would love to own the OA to the bottom right Steranko cover. (thumbs u

Great looking programs BZ. I only have one program in my collection. Someone sold me a box of comics with Barks Fanzines and a 1980s San Diego Con program. I enjoyed all of the illos and the quality production of the programs and later fanzines. I still enjoy digging through all of the old fanzines and probably have a few that Bill Schelly hasn't written about.

bb

I hope you work long hours. There's a heck of a lot of interesting reading choices on these boards. lol

I wonder if Flessel used Winslow Homer's "Breezing Up" as a drawing reference? (shrug)

88_4_25.jpg

233-002-lrg.jpg

1873-1876

Funny you mention that BZ. In San Diego another collector and I were talking about how that cover was very similar to a Winslow Homer painting

So recently I broke down and ordered John Locke's Pulp Fictioneers - Adventures in the Storytelling Business, a collection of articles from the pages of writers' magazines such as Writer's Digest, The Writer, ... The articles selected were written by writers of the time and discuss the profession. I should have bought it sooner as I am enjoying the heck out of it only halfway through it. Apparently, he has another volume or two left, this time focusing not on the writers but on the articles written by editors. Be that as it may, my local library's collection of Writer's Digest goes a little further back than what John was able to assess. So, here's an example of the article one can find in the magazine. This one is from November 1928. I enjoyed it, you also may ... -

63104.jpg.6a28058d858cdc2727658c7be100c767.jpg

63105.jpg.1d001f3d3d7a81ea2b216a5a44d44eb9.jpg

63106.jpg.615a84a0318de2e05781fad454444dd5.jpg

63107.jpg.2888ee3a1ce5108f23653290155fffda.jpg

63108.jpg.01a1c69a464a8a02d0da9ced11b2bd62.jpg

So recently I broke down and ordered John Locke's Pulp Fictioneers - Adventures in the Storytelling Business, a collection of articles from the pages of writers' magazines such as Writer's Digest

Thanks Scrooge.

On your recommendation, I think I'll order that book. (thumbs u

Here's an article from the November, 1940 Writer's Monthly concerning the comic market.

writersmonthly1940.jpg

comics_1.jpg

comics_2.jpg

comics_3.jpg

comics_4.jpg

So recently I broke down and ordered John Locke's Pulp Fictioneers - Adventures in the Storytelling Business, a collection of articles from the pages of writers' magazines such as Writer's Digest

Thanks Scrooge.

On your recommendation, I think I'll order that book. (thumbs u

Hopefully you'll like it. There's a lot in there about writers' frustration about editors, inspirations, the competition of new (and cheaper) writers and critics about story quality and market over-extension, ... It's also made me realize how hurtful to the pulp business the market crash and the depression was, which the writers felt bitterly when the word rate dropped significantly. Over were the days when the rate would be 7¢ a word for the best of them all. 2¢ became the normal top rate and some outfit paid beginners ½¢ a word!!

Hopefully you'll like it. There's a lot in there about writers' frustration about editors, inspirations, the competition of new (and cheaper) writers and critics about story quality and market over-extension, ... It's also made me realize how hurtful to the pulp business the market crash and the depression was, which the writers felt bitterly when the word rate dropped significantly. Over were the days when the rate would be 7¢ a word for the best of them all. 2¢ became the normal top rate and some outfit paid beginners ½¢ a word!!

Have you read "The Pulp Jungle" by Frank Gruber? I read it when it was first published in 1967 and thought it was great.

The book is a quick read but is full of personal info about the life of a working pulp author and details his output. For example, he notes that from August, 1932 through June, 1934, he wrote a grand total of 174 pieces. The total wordage amounted to 620,000 words. He ended up selling 107 of the 174 pieces that he wrote during that period.

Gruber states that, "The sale of 107 pieces of a possible 174 may not seem discouraging, but bear with me through the sordid details..." lol

I read the book one rainy afternoon when I was a kid on vacation at the beach and have always remembered it fondly.

Have you read "The Pulp Jungle" by Frank Gruber? I read it when it was first published in 1967 and thought it was great.

The book is a quick read but is full of personal info about the life of a working pulp author and details his output. For example, he notes that from August, 1932 through June, 1934, he wrote a grand total of 174 pieces. The total wordage amounted to 620,000 words. He ended up selling 107 of the 174 pieces that he wrote during that period.

Gruber states that, "The sale of 107 pieces of a possible 174 may not seem discouraging, but bear with me through the sordid details..." lol

I read the book one rainy afternoon when I was a kid on vacation at the beach and have always remembered it fondly.

I read it a couple of years ago and have photocopies of it. The most memorable part of the book for me was the tomato soup. IIRC, he went to a sandwich shop, one of those automatic ones in Manhattan, sat down, ordered tea or somesuch and proceeded to dump ketchup (free) into the hot water with some salt and voilà, tomato soup!! lol I agree it's a nice and easy book to read.

Another classic is Harold Hershey's Pulpwood Editor. I read the original 1937 book from the library but have since purchased the reprint from Adventure House. I am due to re-read it. At the time I read it, I knew little about pulps and I learned a lot from it. Today I know somewhat more so I need to revisit it more critically.