• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Recall a while back I had mentioned the upcoming Norman Saunders book. You can look at the entire book content at The Illustrated Press Website I pre-ordered the book and now I can't wait to see these illos in large format in the book :banana:

WOW! That is a freakin awesome book! Thanks for making me aware of it! (thumbs u

A Request for you BZ, I am catching up on some pulp lists messages and came across this summary of a Horror Stories story and was wondering if there are any illustrations associated with this story?

The original post mentioned that this is a typical shudder pulp story :blush:

"This comment is dated 1969 and is about Horror Stories, April-May 1939. THE MORGUE THAT MADNESS FILLED by Donald Graham.(15 pages):

"Another of Graham's wild ones. Almost as interesting as REVOLT OF THE CIRCUS FREAKS. This is a real sick one--full of sadism and sex that is hideously perverted. Men dressed as cadavers ride nude girls using whips and boots as prods. Later, after the girls are exhausted, they hang them by the thumbs and throw darts at them. One nurse is flayed alive by an old hag. Two children, age 3 and 12 are tortured and sexually mutilated. Others have acid thrown on them. Usual crazy and unbelievable weird menace plot."

Any interior pic of "juicy" Horror Stories illos are welcome, doesn't have to be this particular issue. :foryou:

I have the April/May 1939 issue.

I'll have to check on the "Revolt of the Circus Freaks" story.

I'll try to take some photos for you tonight or tomorrow. (thumbs u

blue bolt 3/5 :baiting:

Oops! I don't seem to be getting anything right. Oh well! Nice going Det27!

(worship)

I was just funnin with you BB... you got it (thumbs u

Where is the Twister when you need him? You fooled me completely. I have to learn to read the fine print.

bb

3032789495_842dc940d3_o.jpg

I thought this was a pretty good character but he didn't last very long in Blue Bolt.

He did a double crossover in V2-1

3032789487_3874929a9e.jpg

Unfortunately he was killed off by the Bean Man.

Recall a while back I had mentioned the upcoming Norman Saunders book. You can look at the entire book content at The Illustrated Press Website I pre-ordered the book and now I can't wait to see these illos in large format in the book :banana:

I don't blame you! :o

It looks spectacular!

Any interior pic of "juicy" Horror Stories illos are welcome...

Here are a few typical Horror Stories illustrations.

What makes these especially interesting is that they are all by Amos Sewell who went on to gain some fame as an illustrator.

horror1.jpg

horror4.jpg

horror2.jpg