• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

possibly, but they look like BLB's behind mickey there, and they do call MMM a magazine. (shrug)I don't know enough about BLBs to know if there are some smaller, or giveaway types that could fit the bill.

Internet searches are always our friend. From the one below, Mickey it seemed like the title was "Mickey Mouse and Tanglefoot", his horse and here's a miniature book that came out in 1934 which was probably what this is referring to. According to the listing online, "The book in its entirety measures 3" x 3.5" and features on the cover Mickey Mouse talking with the horse Tanglefoot" No mention of page count -

180240_IMG-0281.jpg

180241_IMG-0282.jpg

Here's another one from the same vintage: Mickey Mouse at the Carnival -

180238_IMG-0283.jpg

Another page confirms that:

"The books mentioned in the Christmas subscription ad were the boxed set of six Whitman Wee Little Books originally published in 1935. The titles in set number 512 included: Mickey Mouse and Tanglefoot; Mickey Mouse Wins the Race; Mickey Mouse's Uphill Fight; Mickey Mouse's Misfortune; Mickey Mouse Will Not Quit; and Mickey Mouse at the Carnival."

"The tiny books measured just 3 1/2 by 3 inches, ran 38 to 40 pages in length and contained numerous black and white illustrations. "

Here are all 6 covers -

xmas%2Bwee%2B2.jpg

xmas%2Bwee%2B1.jpg

possibly, but they look like BLB's behind mickey there, and they do call MMM a magazine. (shrug)I don't know enough about BLBs to know if there are some smaller, or giveaway types that could fit the bill.

Internet searches are always our friend. From the one below, Mickey it seemed like the title was "Mickey Mouse and Tanglefoot", his horse and here's a miniature book that came out in 1934 which was probably what this is referring to. According to the listing online, "The book in its entirety measures 3" x 3.5" and features on the cover Mickey Mouse talking with the horse Tanglefoot" No mention of page count -

180240_IMG-0281.jpg

180241_IMG-0282.jpg

Here's another one from the same vintage: Mickey Mouse at the Carnival -

180238_IMG-0283.jpg

great! thanks Scrooge, now I have to add these to my ever growing want list!

lol

Actually, I think I've had a couple of those in the past. None now though, so the quest continues.

actually, the ones he has posted publicly on the wacky packages forum are INCREDIBLE! He has been giving the story behind every sticker he painted, and all of Norm's feelings & quirks wrapped up in it, not to mention insight into the working conditions at topps at the time. I have to say, it is a real rare treasure of information about the man.

Wacky Packages Forum

David is extremely friendly and quite knowledgeable about his father's career and the careers of other pulp artists.

I corresponded briefly with him last year and he sent me a a biography he wrote about his father and a checklist of the comic book covers his dad painted.

Norman Saunders Biography

Saunders Comic Book Checklist