• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Anyone has 35¢ to spare ... I have a show I'd like to catch :blush:

123.jpg

Either that or we can go to this night club I like to go out to ...

135.jpg

I'd like to visit the 1939 San Francisco Golden Gate International Exposition.

Link

sanfranciscoexposition.gif

It looks educational.

There's apparently lots of Wild West lore I never learned about in school.

sally.jpg

sallyrand.jpg

Now this would be a show worth seeing. :cloud9: I think it would be nice to have an 18 & over Comic con that had some classy entertainment like this.

This story was brought to my attention by Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine where it was awarded a Thanksgiving Turkey Award in 2006. I'm not certain if Pappy is being serious when he says it "exemplifies comic book stupidity at its worst." (shrug)

I think its great. Screwball comics at their best. (thumbs u lol

flatman1.jpg

flatman2.jpg

flatman3.jpg

flatman4.jpg

flatman5.jpg

flatman6.jpg

flatman7.jpg

flatman8.jpg

Scans are from goldenagecomics.co.uk

This is why I love Superior comics so much, their stories really stood out as unique among precode horror. One of the most common themes involves horribly mutilated people committing suicide so they can finally be at peace. Strong stuff!!

Michael Vance mentioned to me that they are preparing a compilation of some strips made by Grass Green.

Grass and Howard Keltner, who prepared the index, were two of the earliest fans who wrote stories and created new characters for fanzines.

3075120960_f38798e5a2_o.jpg

Mike sent me this scan of the cover.

3075120734_4a8f410e6b.jpg

bb

BZ.

Jack Cole signed the splash which is pretty good. What was his role in creating the character?

bb

3071443604_7fcb318d32_o.jpg

Great looking splash, BB. :applause:

Regarding the creation of The Barker: I only know what I've read on the Internet. Joe Millard was the writer and Jack Cole was the artist. (shrug)

According to Jerry Bails, Millard wrote for DC, Fawcett, and Quality.

He might be better known to some readers as the author of the novels based on the 'The Man With No Name' character in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and "For a Few Dollars More" series. :gossip:

Fistful of Westerns

What's your take on Secret Agent X? I have this in my sights (sp?) for Xmas. What says you, how good / entertaining are the Secret Agent X stories?

Scrooge, the last time I gave Secret Agent X a try was back in the late 70's. I had just finished a jag where I'd read everything I could find by Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald.

X wasn't in the same league so I moved on to other material.

It wasn't a fair comparison, I know. Maybe I should give them another shot.

ucla2.jpg

Councilman Ed J. Davenport displaying nude comic books in Los Angeles, Calif., 1948.

Were these really all comic books as we think of them today?

I think the captions are written by individuals with no clue as to what the photos actually depict.

flatman1.jpg

This is why I love Superior comics so much, their stories really stood out as unique among precode horror. One of the most common themes involves horribly mutilated people committing suicide so they can finally be at peace. Strong stuff!!

I guess I'll have to take another look at my Superior Comics. I didn't realize they were printing such oddball stories. :grin:

Michael Vance mentioned to me that they are preparing a compilation of some strips made by Grass Green.

Grass and Howard Keltner, who prepared the index, were two of the earliest fans who wrote stories and created new characters for fanzines.

3075120960_f38798e5a2_o.jpg

I always enjoyed Green's work.

I was also a fan of Bill Dubay and Ron Foss.

ecfanaddict.jpg

Vault of Horror #35

I probably posted this book before. The cover is by Foster and the book was given to newspapaer subscribers I think.

The endplate was cool too. I like seeing Prince V and Popeye discussing various smiting techniques.

bb

3075380821_70c3fa96ff_o.jpg

3075380977_46a92fba34_o.jpg

Those EC ads scare me. Booga, Booga!

I didn't think the cover was interesting but the interior was illustrated in part by St. John.

3073042718_f55a37fe42_o.jpg

Cool magazine.

I've never seen St John illos of that sort.

Is Two-Fisted Stories a Canadian magazine?

Published by Consolidated Book Publishers

153 North Michigan Ave., Chicago 1, Illinois

This comic with Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann had a 64 page story and a full size centerfold splash. Does anyone one know which issue it was?

bb

3076282802_3fe3c8129f_o.jpg

HOLY FUDD!

I've posted some Raggedy Ann pages on the boards, but this tops them all! Is it from one of the Four Color books? The early ones were 64 pp + covers w/ no ads. If you have the story title or first line of dialog, it might be possible to ID it.

Thanks for posting the great centerfold.

Jack