• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

This comic with Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann had a 64 page story and a full size centerfold splash. Does anyone one know which issue it was?

bb

3076282802_3fe3c8129f_o.jpg

HOLY FUDD!

I've posted some Raggedy Ann pages on the boards, but this tops them all! Is it from one of the Four Color books? The early ones were 64 pp + covers w/ no ads. If you have the story title or first line of dialog, it might be possible to ID it.

Thanks for posting the great centerfold.

Jack

Jack, here is the first page. Is it listed in the GCD? A lot of these golden age gems are missing from the inventory but I haven't checked for this one.

bb

3076366354_2af77f324c_o.jpg

This comic with Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann had a 64 page story and a full size centerfold splash. Does anyone one know which issue it was?

HOLY FUDD!

I've posted some Raggedy Ann pages on the boards, but this tops them all! Is it from one of the Four Color books? The early ones were 64 pp + covers w/ no ads. If you have the story title or first line of dialog, it might be possible to ID it.

Thanks for posting the great centerfold.

Jack

Jack, here is the first page. Is it listed in the GCD? A lot of these golden age gems are missing from the inventory but I haven't checked for this one.

bb

3076366354_2af77f324c_o.jpg

Almost as nice as the centerfold!

No, the story doesn't seem to be in GCD yet.

I'm pretty sure that you can narrow it down to Four Color 5 or 23, maybe 45, based on page count and lack of ads. Shiverbones might have a clue. Probably the cover-to-cover Four Color scanning project has it -- I'll ask. If you figure it out, let me know and it moves higher on my want list!

Jack

I thought I would post a few nifty Christmas cards that Michael Vance has shared with myself and others.

3072990846_a239a33cf5_o.jpg

3072990496_a7e581b48c_o.jpg

3072153387_0cf346b529_o.jpg

Grass used to shop at my store back in the 80's and sent me the same card!

He was a good guy.

3076282802_3fe3c8129f_o.jpg

The castle looks like it might be pictured on the cover of Four Color #23.

279_4_00023.jpg

Absolutely right, BZ.

From a friend on the Four Color project:

It's issue 23.

Missing from Series I - 1-7, 9, 11, 14, 19, 20, 25

Missing from Series II - 5-7, 38, 63, 94, 1187

Some of the issues I have are bad scans from fiche and need upgrading, mainly in Series I and some of the early and expensive Series II books.

Jack

Great cards. :applause:

I'd love to see more.

Here's a Christmas card my wife and I received from Jerry and Joanne Siegel in 1990.

christmas1990.jpg

christmas1990b.jpg

Not sure who produced that nice card art, but Winsch & Tuck postcards :cloud9:

This comic with Johnny Gruelle's Raggedy Ann had a 64 page story and a full size centerfold splash.

Does anyone one know which issue it was?

The castle looks like it might be pictured on the cover of Four Color #23.

279_4_00023.jpg

Absolutely right, BZ.

From a friend on the Four Color project:

It's issue 23.

Missing from Series I - 1-7, 9, 11, 14, 19, 20, 25

Missing from Series II - 5-7, 38, 63, 94, 1187

Some of the issues I have are bad scans from fiche and need upgrading, mainly in Series I and some of the early and expensive Series II books.

Jack

Thanks BZ and Jack. I noticed that the boat in the background of the cover is also a prominent character in the story (but no horse?).

I am a little reluctant to assign an issue number based on the cover since GA comics often mixed up covers and stories but the FC project confirms it.

Nice story anyway, I will have to go back and read it again.

I didn't know there were so many Raggedy fans in the GA group.

bb

Let's see some paperbacks then ... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Here's one that is apropos.

Yesterday I was talking about Joe Millard, the creator of The Barker.

In 1950 he wrote a graphic novel that was published by Gold Medal Books.

mansionofevil.jpg

Mansion of Evil