• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I have a copy of the Gallo book but its been years since I've looked at it.

It's a nice little book. Got my copy cheap at 1/2-Price books. The text is as always by Gallo easy to read and to the point.

It's also a reminder that the Soviet artists were the best at this stuff. (thumbs u

Some more examples:

Thanks for all the scans, AS. :applause:

Does the book have any biographies of the artists or interviews with them discussing the work they produced?

You're welcome

It doesn't have much information about artists but does try to identify them where possible. The book is about the messages/themes that the propagandist were trying to get across and how they relate to the war effort. At best you'll get a couple sentences about a person and usually not the post artists.

I remember skimming through this book when it was in the bookstores.

You are old :baiting:

So am I :sorry:

Gregg's career was covered in Illustration # 9. Here's a spread of some of his mapbacks - 69834.jpg

Scrooge, in a online bio of Gregg, they said: "He worked with an airbrush which made his work for Dell unique and striking. During his stay at Western he also drew comic strips and the back covers of their Little Golden Books."

Did the article in Illustration Magazine mention his comic strips or reproduce any of them?

Scrooge, in a online bio of Gregg, they said: "He worked with an airbrush which made his work for Dell unique and striking. During his stay at Western he also drew comic strips and the back covers of their Little Golden Books."

Did the article in Illustration Magazine mention his comic strips or reproduce any of them?

I don't know. I didn't re-read the article but I know that no strips were reprinted. I am willing to bet though that a lot of the information in the article comes from the book mentioned at the bottom of this next bit of Gregg bio found online:

" [...] Gerald Gregg, whose airbrush technique gave him the most distinctive style of any of the artists who did covers for the Dell Mapbacks. He called it "stylized realism," and it makes his covers easy to spot: bold shapes, soft edges, intense colors, and often macabre subjects (okay, that was dictated by Dell, not by him, but a lot of his covers feature skulls, blood, and weapons) mark his work.

Gregg started working for Western Publishing (the company that did Dell's production work at that time; the relationship between the two companies was kind of strange, but essentially, Western did the artwork, editing, printing, and other production, and Dell did the acquiring and marketing) during the Depression, and illustrated covers for lots of the Dell paperbacks as well as some Big Little Books, which were also printed by Western. During World War II, he also worked extra time in the shipping department at Western, according to the definitive book about the Dell paperbacks, Putting Dell on the Map: A History of the Dell Paperbacks, by William H. Lyles."

I'll go look at the book this afternoon to see if more can be found herein.

Early in his career Frazetta wasn't adverse to swiping images.

Frank was a huge fan of Hal Foster's Tarzan strip. Here are a few panels from two 1929 Tarzan strips and three panels from Thun'da #1.

There are a bunch more Foster swipes throughout the comic book.

tarzan2.jpgthunda2.jpg

tarzan3.jpgthunda3.jpg

tarzan5.jpgthunda4.jpg

To follow up on Gregg, the Lyles book does not make any reference to his working on comic strips for Western. Lyles did exchange correspondance with Gregg circa 1978 and met him in person for an interview in 1980.

After 1950, Gregg no longer did any Dell covers. Instead he devised mechanicals for the more difficuly "Pop-Up" Whitman books and continued to work on books tied in with Warner Brothers and Disney - he is (was) an accredited Disney artist.

The book also mentions that Gregg did only one map for the back covers, that for # 34 - Crime Hound. Do you have that one BZ? If so, a scan of the back cover will be welcome. (thumbs u

Here are a couple text pages from the propaganda book.

WWIIpropaganda5.jpg

WWIIPropaganda6.jpg

The book also mentions that Gregg did only one map for the back covers, that for # 34 - Crime Hound. Do you have that one BZ? If so, a scan of the back cover will be welcome.

I don't have a copy of Crime Hound out on the shelves and I don't really want to dig through boxes looking for it...so-o how about the back cover to #32?

According to Lyle's book, Gregg was the illustrator of this war bonds ad.

dell32.jpg

After 1950, Gregg no longer did any Dell covers. Instead he devised mechanicals for the more difficuly "Pop-Up" Whitman books and continued to work on books tied in with Warner Brothers and Disney - he is (was) an accredited Disney artist.

Now I have to start looking around for that stuff. doh!

...and maybe these books. hm

64847.jpg

...and maybe these books. hm

Possibly. You'll have to ask Bill as they are his now ... :grin:

December 11 - The will is still there but the fight will be long as the President told the nation but the country will forge forward urged along by the Spirit of past struggles -

69917.jpg.8cd2b9e3d7179007582680550b3c94bb.jpg

69918.jpg.9e527f78c6232a6f5e51927fa6eb068a.jpg

August 1938 article from the Chicago Daily News about The Smaller World. The ideas expressed here are similar to those expressed recently about the shrinking global village ushered along by the increase in telecommunication and international transport, very much the same ideas that were rampant in the mid 30's when radio was no longer a novelty and travel became easier. You can feel this when in the pulps, even in the Hero Pulps where radio became part of the plot in either the Shadow's The Murder Master IIRC and the current Spider I am reading: "Slaves of the Crime Master" from April 1935 -

69919.jpg.05e7ef11bfde7ff3225049c471734c83.jpg